Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Powerlifters?

Hi!

I am considering the sleeve. I am a competetive powerlifter from Norway. I am wondering if there are any fellow pre - op powerlifters on here that want to share their experienses?
    (I have pcos as well so would love to talk to anyone with the same diagnosis as well.)

Did you lose a lot of muscle, how is your training afterwards, any regrets?

Oslo, Norway

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Powerlifters?

Talk to your surgeon, but I don't think he/she would have any issue getting back into a powerlifter routine. Just tell him/her what you want to do and the doctor will tell you when you can get started. I was cleared for any exercise at 2 weeks, but I'm not a powerlifter, so you'll probably have different requirements. You won't lose muscle if you continue with your exercising. But don't powerlifters have to be big? (Probably a stupid question.)

Good luck with your decision. And say hi to all my Norwegian relatives! Maiden name Dahlen.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Talk to your surgeon, but I don't think he/she would have any issue getting back into a powerlifter routine. Just tell him/her what you want to do and the doctor will tell you when you can get started. I was cleared for any exercise at 2 weeks, but I'm not a powerlifter, so you'll probably have different requirements. You won't lose muscle if you continue with your exercising. But don't powerlifters have to be big? (Probably a stupid question.)

Good luck with your decision. And say hi to all my Norwegian relatives! Maiden name Dahlen.

I've already met with the surgeon, and now I am very curious to talk to people with experience

You have had the sleeve? How do you feel about it, any regrets? Tough getting enough food and water in every day?

Powerlifters don't have to be big, just strong. We have different weight classes at competitions, so I would just sign up for a lighter class

I sure will say hi to all Dahlen's I meet :-D

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I had the sleeve and it was the best thing I have every done for myself. No regrets, in fact I think it was easy. (Others will argue with me, but I had no complications, and just watched the weight fall off). I lost 75 or more pounds in about 10 months and have been at my goal weight for over three years.

Right after surgery you have to really plan getting your food in, at first I was just on the protein shakes. I had a protein and liquid requirement to meet. I kept a journal, sipped, and always met my goals. At first you're not hungry and really have to work at getting in what you should. It's sort of like your job. Now, after years, I eat like a normal person, just less. I get hungry like a normal person. I still follow the protein first, then veggie, then good carbs if room rule. But once in a while I'll splurge and have a piece of pizza, and it's no biggie. So you just have to commit to following a healthy lifestyle. If I started back in on the junk food, I could easily regain my weight.

What will help you, and helped me, was you like to work out. For many larger people exercise is a totally scary word. By starting the journey enjoying working out, it should be easy for you too!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks a lot for taking the time to tell me your experience! It's really helping me decide.
    I think 75 pounds is around what I need to lose also. My endocrine disorder is making it very difficult to lose any weight even though I am active. I feel I am "fat fit", a term I saw someone else use.

Do you still never drink with food? That one sounds kind of hard to deal with.
    And how are you with wine now?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am not a power lifter but have gone back to strength training. It will take a while afterwards as there is some recovery time involved and then most people do experience fatigue for a bit. Once you are cleared to exercise again you will be able to lift. Slowly at first. Because calories are low, it may be a while before you get back to where you were. The good thing about the sleeve which is conducive to lifting is we need lots of protein. I think you really wouldn't have any issues unless you are going to be competing real soon after surgery. Long term it wouldn't be an issue.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I am not a power lifter but have gone back to strength training. It will take a while afterwards as there is some recovery time involved and then most people do experience fatigue for a bit. Once you are cleared to exercise again you will be able to lift. Slowly at first. Because calories are low, it may be a while before you get back to where you were. The good thing about the sleeve which is conducive to lifting is we need lots of protein. I think you really wouldn't have any issues unless you are going to be competing real soon after surgery. Long term it wouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for your reply :-D
    I think I am really starting to get convinced. I feel like I have talked to so many people now and you all say the same, more or less.

Was your starting weight 207? It's about the same as mine. I guess that's why I'm having a hard time deciding, because it's really not THAT high.

How are you feeling, any regrets?

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The not drinking with meals has just become a habit at home, no big deal at all. At a restaurant, that's another story, as I often have a glass of wine, but I guess I usually drink it before my meal comes. If not, I don't worry about it. Can't be perfect all the time!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    The not drinking with meals has just become a habit at home, no big deal at all. At a restaurant, that's another story, as I often have a glass of wine, but I guess I usually drink it before my meal comes. If not, I don't worry about it. Can't be perfect all the time!
    Sure can't :-D
    How do you feel about the wine - does it vary a lot how much wine you can handle?
    I have the impression that you can't really get tipsy with the sleeve - you just head straight from sober to drunk. What is your experiences here?

Also - are you able to have a main course or is that just impossible? Will life be all starters from now?

I really appreciate your time
    Reason: Forgot something

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yep, a main course is impossible. I typically order a starter. You could always share a meal, or take some home. At one restaurant I have a small salad I love topped with a chicken breast. Ahi tuna is my favorite starter. You're in Norway, so will have amazing fish! So much easier on your tummy than meat.

I can have 2 glasses of wine, but no more than that.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Miss Norway,

I would be very careful if you resume powerlifting too soon. I was cleared for light weight training after 7 weeks. My surgeon told me to use 60% of the weight I used prior to surgery. For those of you who are clueless concerning the strains put on your body during a powerlifting training you just can't resume after 2 weeks or even 2 months. My advice to you would be to have a serious discussion with your surgeon. You may be able to resume light weight training to maintain muscle mass fairly soon but heavy weight training for a serious training schedule like powerlifting could take several months. The strains on your abdomen and digestive system may not be able to handle the stress heavy weights put on your system. I lifted weights my whole life and competed in powerlifting so I know how you feel. Let your surgeon be your guide not some of the pseudo medical experts on this forum.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Miss Norway,

When you are able to resume training you will need to really concentrate on your protein intake. Your nutritionist should be able to help you. I started light weight training at 7 weeks and added a personal trainer at the 2 month post surgery mark. Having used my trainer now for 6 weeks we are starting to see serious strength gains. I am 14 weeks post surgery. We are increasing the weights and intensity. My personal goal was to be much lighter BUT very strong at the 6 month mark. I think I can reach that goal. My nutritionist want me to intake 90-100 grams of protein per day when training. As a powerlifter I'm sure your aware of some quality supplements to use. I'll bet you and your nutritionist can come up with a plan to maintain as much muscle as you can during your weight loss. Just think dropping a couple of weight classes and still being strong. Less fat and still maintain high muscle mass. You will be a force to be reckoned with. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member manzerick's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bernard Benedetto
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 06:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a trainer and old man lacrosse player, and can tell you there are a lot of things you need to prep.

Pre-game days - I need to start loading in higher calorie items, and consume as much water as I can. During the game I just can't get enough in, and will weaken if I don't focus on it that day.

Also - During the sport I try to consume a protein drink and also water. Again, we deplete easily.

Besides that, it's not an issue at all. Mindfulness. Always

Date***Weight
    1/30/2013***443
    6/8/2013***414
    8/8/2013***416
    8/15/2013***423
    8/26/2013***415
    10/11/2013***426
    11/6/2013***403
    11/12/2013***391.8
    11/15/2013***389
    11/21/2013***387.2
    11/26/13***384.5

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeel21 View Post
    Miss Norway,

I would be very careful if you resume powerlifting too soon. I was cleared for light weight training after 7 weeks. My surgeon told me to use 60% of the weight I used prior to surgery. For those of you who are clueless concerning the strains put on your body during a powerlifting training you just can't resume after 2 weeks or even 2 months. My advice to you would be to have a serious discussion with your surgeon. You may be able to resume light weight training to maintain muscle mass fairly soon but heavy weight training for a serious training schedule like powerlifting could take several months. The strains on your abdomen and digestive system may not be able to handle the stress heavy weights put on your system. I lifted weights my whole life and competed in powerlifting so I know how you feel. Let your surgeon be your guide not some of the pseudo medical experts on this forum.
    Thanks for your reply

I would never start my workout after two weeks because someone on the internet said so. But I am very curios to see if there are any pre - op powerlifters here that could share their experienses. I don't really care if i never get the strength to compete again, but I do care a lot about my ability to train properly, build muscle and really exhaust myself with the weights. It doesn't matter if it takes a year after surgery, but I fear lifting will never be the same after surgery.
    How do you feel? Does training heavy feel the same after surgery as it did before, do you feel like you can still push your body to your limits nowadays?

I am really not sure about the surgery at all. Also because I do eat out a lot, and kind of fear never being able to join in on several courses. That seems so sad :-0

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeel21 View Post
    Miss Norway,

When you are able to resume training you will need to really concentrate on your protein intake. Your nutritionist should be able to help you. I started light weight training at 7 weeks and added a personal trainer at the 2 month post surgery mark. Having used my trainer now for 6 weeks we are starting to see serious strength gains. I am 14 weeks post surgery. We are increasing the weights and intensity. My personal goal was to be much lighter BUT very strong at the 6 month mark. I think I can reach that goal. My nutritionist want me to intake 90-100 grams of protein per day when training. As a powerlifter I'm sure your aware of some quality supplements to use. I'll bet you and your nutritionist can come up with a plan to maintain as much muscle as you can during your weight loss. Just think dropping a couple of weight classes and still being strong. Less fat and still maintain high muscle mass. You will be a force to be reckoned with. Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply :-D
    Congrats on your results! It sounds like you are doing great.
    I am still very much on the fence about the surgery, but it's very helpful to hear all of your experienses