Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Powerlifters?

Quote Originally Posted by manzerick View Post
    I'm a trainer and old man lacrosse player, and can tell you there are a lot of things you need to prep.

Pre-game days - I need to start loading in higher calorie items, and consume as much water as I can. During the game I just can't get enough in, and will weaken if I don't focus on it that day.

Also - During the sport I try to consume a protein drink and also water. Again, we deplete easily.

Besides that, it's not an issue at all. Mindfulness. Always
    Thanks for the reply

What you are talking about here is, I guess, what I kind of fear. The quick depletion (not sure about that spelling). Maybe I am a bit overweight now, but I really know my body and know that I can push it very far. So it is kind of scary changing life up in such a drastic way. I guess it becomes a habit, but I am having a hard time trying to understand how I will cope with all the changes.
    I love to chug water at the gym, and don't really like the idea of not being able to.
    It's been great hearing your experienses, I have to think about this some more i think

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My husband and I are empty nesters and EAT OUT ALL THE TIME. If eating out is a concern, you can drop that off your list. Just because you can't have a salad, bread, whole entree, and dessert means you won't enjoy your dining experience? It really is fun eating out even if you don't eat everything in sight.

You will even be able to chug water at the gym, it's just in the beginning that you have to take tiny sips when your tummy is healing.

At a fancy restaurant I'll typically have a little of the delicious bread (something I never eat at home), often a starter like the seared ahi tuna, and of course my wine. Early on you won't be able to eat much, but with time you'll be able to eat more and no one will even notice you are eating less than anyone else. I have never had a server say anything about just ordering a starter.

When we go out for pizza we get a small and I'll typically have one piece, maybe two. I enjoy it just as much as back in the day when hubby and I ate a large. Actually I probably enjoy it more now, because I'm eating slower and really savoring how delicious it is. And I leave feeling good, not stuffed.

We have this lunch place nearby with delicious tacos: fish, shrimp, chicken, or beef. We place one order because it comes with three tacos, a side and a drink. I have one taco, hubby has the other 2, the side, and the drink. The options are really endless for eating out.

And by the way, on my visits to Norway your restaurants are very expensive compared to the states. So you will be saving money too!

You say you are undecided as you weigh 207. So I guess it depends on your height! Calculate your BMI and see if you are considered obese. If you're not, and just overweight, then the surgery probably is not for you. And somehow you'd also have to calculate in the fact that you are a powerlifter, with muscle rather than fat weight. What does your doctor recommend? In the US you have to be a certain BMI in order to qualify for surgery.

Good luck deciding. Fun talking to you!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shaaz
    Surgery date
    06/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Pasten
    Last Activity
    04-24-2019 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

I had surgery last June and started at 197lbs and I'm down to 135 and started weight training because i was losing too much weight with just cardio. As for eating; yes be prepared to eat little. I have to take enzymes and pancreatin to digest meat, fish, seafood and most foods but I make sure to get my protein in. I am a big wine drinker and now have no problems but at first it was tough because 1/2 a glass would get me very tipsy but I'm back to normal now. LOL

Good luck on your journey!!!! This was the best decision I ever made for my health and life.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by BahaMs View Post
    I had surgery last June and started at 197lbs and I'm down to 135 and started weight training because i was losing too much weight with just cardio. As for eating; yes be prepared to eat little. I have to take enzymes and pancreatin to digest meat, fish, seafood and most foods but I make sure to get my protein in. I am a big wine drinker and now have no problems but at first it was tough because 1/2 a glass would get me very tipsy but I'm back to normal now. LOL

Good luck on your journey!!!! This was the best decision I ever made for my health and life.
    Thanks so much for replying :-D

You were even smaller than me when you had the surgery. I am about 210 and my height is 160cm (= 5,25 feet). I am definitely overweight. After many downs and ups with my weight I am now the biggest I have ever been. I just DON'T have any motivation left to lose the weight on my own yet another time.

Do you ever miss food? I mean, just inviting all your friends over for tacos and being a part of it? Or do you just not care anymore if you have to eat small amounts? Do you feel amazing in your new body? (I hear that some people's heads dont "follow" and they don't understand that they are now skinny.)

I mean, I guess food isn't everything, but I do go out to eat a lot as i have mentioned, and I kind of fear missing food. "Food - sorrow" they called it at the hospital.
    But your experienses with wine sounds great, because I reaaally want to be able to still be a part of the party in that way. What about liqour, can you have any at all of that?
    But man. Being at 135 sounds so amazing!! I guess that is what makes it all worth it?

Did you think about surgery for a long time before you did it?
    Any regrets at all?

Have a great weekend, big hug from Norway

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

[QUOTE=sraebaer;589101]My husband and I are empty nesters and EAT OUT ALL THE TIME. If eating out is a concern, you can drop that off your list. Just because you can't have a salad, bread, whole entree, and dessert means you won't enjoy your dining experience? It really is fun eating out even if you don't eat everything in sight.

This is really a tough question I think. I just feel it's difficult to really understand what that life will be like. Then again, I really can not imagine how amazing it would feel to be skinny either.
    Do you never miss being able to eat whatever you want for just one night? I think I know the answer, because it sounds like your head is really in the right place when it comes to this.

Haha yes, everything in Norway is very expensive, no argument there....!

My height is 160cm/5,25 feet. I am overweight, but I am not sure if I technically am obese. However, I do have pcos and losing weight naturally has been very hard all my life. I had an eating disorder when I was a teenager, even then I didn't really get skinny. So it feels like my choices are staying overweight or the surgery. Because I will never be naturally skinny without the surgery.

Since I am not big enough to have the surgery covered, I would have to pay myself. Therefore the surgeon doesn't really say to much due to ethics and the fact that he is working at a private hospital and they are selling these surgeries. However he did say that I would be a great candidate when I asked him directly about it.
    So now it's just up to me to make up my mind

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/22/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marr
    Last Activity
    01-21-2018 07:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple things to talk about with your surgeon. Muscle burns more fat calories so when you get back to training, getting enough calories so that you do not burn muscle would be a concern. I imagine you are used to focusing on protein, but getting enough when you are preparing for a competition might be a struggle. Keeping yourself hydrated is a matter of constantly sipping at water through the day and keeping a water bottle with you at all times.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi,
    I'm not a power lifter but i am a cross fitter and I have dropped my weights but not by too much. I got back in the gym at about week 7 and it didn't take long to get back into the swing. BUT for sure I did drop my weights on my deadlifts!! This is a bit different to what you do though so I would certainly take some advice from someone who knows stuff!!
    I was a BMI of 31 at my surgery but used to be far bigger and had lost 40kg beforehand. I couldnt seem to lose the rest and high cholesterol and pre diabetes despite running 50km a week and crossfit and healthy eating made up my mind for me.
    I don't miss anything in terms of eating out ... I was eating clean anyway... the other day i had delicious sashimi when out. It is not something that bothers me as i didn't eat crap food for 4 years before surgery. Mind you, back in the day I could have given anyone a run for their money in eating crap food!!!
    It's a big decision so take your time and get a heap of advice from professionals I reckon. I don't regret a thing.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not a power lifter but i am a cross fitter and I have dropped my weights but not by too much. I got back in the gym at about week 7 and it didn't take long to get back into the swing. BUT for sure I did drop my weights on my deadlifts!! This is a bit different to what you do though so I would certainly take some advice from someone who knows stuff!!
    I was a BMI of 31 at my surgery but used to be far bigger and had lost 40kg beforehand. I couldnt seem to lose the rest and high cholesterol and pre diabetes despite running 50km a week and crossfit and healthy eating made up my mind for me.
    I don't miss anything in terms of eating out ... I was eating clean anyway... the other day i had delicious sashimi when out. It is not something that bothers me as i didn't eat crap food for 4 years before surgery. Mind you, back in the day I could have given anyone a run for their money in eating crap food!!!
    It's a big decision so take your time and get a heap of advice from professionals I reckon. I don't regret a thing.
    Thanks for replying

I don't really care that much about the weight I am able to lift post surgery, but I do care if I feel I am not able to train properly. How does that feel for you, being a crossfitter, are you able to push yourself to the same extent as pre surgery, or do you not have enough energy due to the small amounts of food? Do you feel like you can give it your all just like someone who has not had surgery?
    I guess what's worrying me is the feeling of NEVER being able to eat for example a cheeseburger ever again. I don't really do it often now, not even every month - but how will I cope with knowing it will be totally off limits?
    Will I just be so happy with being slim that it outweighs all these issues?
    (These aren't really questions directed at you, these are the things I am thinking alot about)

I absolutely know what you mean when you say the weight just can't be dropped naturally. That's so true, and I really hate living in this prison of a body. It's "only" 30 kgs to much, but they sure suck a lot.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by klk1959 View Post
    A couple things to talk about with your surgeon. Muscle burns more fat calories so when you get back to training, getting enough calories so that you do not burn muscle would be a concern. I imagine you are used to focusing on protein, but getting enough when you are preparing for a competition might be a struggle. Keeping yourself hydrated is a matter of constantly sipping at water through the day and keeping a water bottle with you at all times.
    Thanks for your reply
    Actually, I don't care if I have to give up competing. It's just not that important to me any longer. However I would really love to train to my fullest potential. It seems like it really can be done, just takes a lot more planning than I am used to. There's no reason to not be able to build muscle as long as you get the proteins in. And it can be done by shakes if the food is difficult at first..
    I really want to do it, but still a bit scared

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Norway View Post
    Thanks for replying

I don't really care that much about the weight I am able to lift post surgery, but I do care if I feel I am not able to train properly. How does that feel for you, being a crossfitter, are you able to push yourself to the same extent as pre surgery, or do you not have enough energy due to the small amounts of food? Do you feel like you can give it your all just like someone who has not had surgery?
    I guess what's worrying me is the feeling of NEVER being able to eat for example a cheeseburger ever again. I don't really do it often now, not even every month - but how will I cope with knowing it will be totally off limits?
    Will I just be so happy with being slim that it outweighs all these issues?
    (These aren't really questions directed at you, these are the things I am thinking alot about)

I absolutely know what you mean when you say the weight just can't be dropped naturally. That's so true, and I really hate living in this prison of a body. It's "only" 30 kgs to much, but they sure suck a lot.
    I totally get it. Yes you will be able to train to your fullest potential again but that might take a few weeks initially. For the first 6 weeks i was totally exhausted but then I came right. Now at 10 weeks i push myself in the gym and am probably just about at the level I was before except for dropping my deadlift weights. I certainly felt it when i went back in terms of being dead after a session but that didn't take long to get back in the swing. When you start eating real food again then you have a lot more energy. I make sure to absolutely get all my protein in and that means having at least one protein shake a day for me. On an odd day when I havent got the right amount of protein in i have felt awful, its only happened once or twice. I actually feel much stronger when running now just due to the loss of weight I think. From a fitness perspective i think you will feel much better. In terms of eating the odd thing like a cheeseburger well, you will end up being able to eat a couple of bites... will it worry you... nope, i don't think it will. you won't be bothered, you won't be that hungry and you probably won't even choose it. Will it be the right decision? That is totally up to you but from my perspective for my fitness and goals it was totally the right decision. :-)