08/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Pennington
    Last Activity
    04-17-2019 10:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Exclamation Sleeved in August 2017 not losing anymore ...eating all the time

Hey everyone - I am not really great at sharing but I need help!! I have read some of your post before but have not joined until today. My nutritionist has been out the past three times I have gone in!! She is always out because of a sick child....not saying that isn’t true but it’s discouraging for me to get there and then tell me I will just be seeing the trainer. I seem to be stuck at 230 and I think I am eating too much!! I am eating anywhere from 1000 to sometimes 1300 calories a day. Burning over 400 on average thru walking daily but NOTHING is happening! Job is stressing me out! No weight loss is stressing me out! I know it’s me. I am eating when I am not even hungry. Tips or advice please 🙏

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Default Re: Sleeved in August 2017 not losing anymore ...eating all the time

I share your frustration with nutritionists. To be honest, I don't feel like mine has been any help at all. I've been using this for my guidelines: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education...astric_bypass/ It seems pretty thorough and is for sleeved patients (despite the "bypass" in the address). According to this, you should be staying at 900-1000 calories and getting at least 60-75g of protein/day. I know others on this forum don't believe in counting calories but I find it helpful bc it helps me make better protein choices. I also track everything on My Fitness Pal and it helps me understand more about what I'm eating. (For example, some protein choices are also very high in sodium. That makes me retain water & tends to make me stall.) Also, pre-surgery I had my metabolism tested and it is pretty slow (I'm 64) so I know I need to watch my intake.

Look at the advice from "Ann2" on this forum. She & "tinman" have different approaches but both have been very successful and both share the belief that we have to take responsibility for our own plan. Despite their differences, both have become my mentors more than my nutritionist.

Doctors and nutritionists have wildly different approaches so you have to figure out what works for you. I'm not there yet myself, but I do believe each of us has to figure out what is the right combination. So far I know that if I don't drink enough water I will stall. Like you, I walk quite a bit but I was doing that pre-surgery and I think my body has already factored that in, so I don't think it really makes a difference for me in weight loss. I don't really "take off" those calories although I do log them in just to keep myself accountable.

The other thing I've learned in this forum is to look for NSV's (non-scale victories). Even when the scale doesn't move I often see a difference in the way my clothes fit, etc. It seems like the actual scale loss seems to lag behind some of my NSV's. That keeps me going.

Good luck & take advantage of all the wisdom on this forum.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Pennington
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you SO much for the link and the advice! You are right it is up to me and I am the one controlling
    This new tool.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Pennington
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

And your right about the NSV’s I have had so many!! I can cross my legs for
    The first time in years and get down on the floor and back up again with no help!! Before I couldn’t walk to my car without being out of breath! Too many to name!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry you've had this experience with your nutritionist; I have a really good one, but its also a small facility about 4 miles away, so if she was out, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Ann02 and Tinman, and sraebaer are pretty long ways out on maintenance. I am only at 3 months, but eating about 800-900 calories, 70-80 grams of protein. Premier Protein Drink in vanilla, which someone here shared, goes in my coffee; since it's 30 grams a bottle, a few cups of coffee go a long way and I get fluid & protein.

Sleep, protein & calories....water water water. You can do this! Lots of great support here.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

DHB

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think the calories are quite as important as what you are filling up on. Are you focusing on lean proteins and veggies? What does a typical day of eating look like for you? Also, are your calories from solid proteins or are you still using a lot of shakes to get your meals in? Sometimes it is just time to switch things up. Honestly, I have not seen my nutritionist since I had my surgery. I am allowed to make appointments with her but the paperwork she gave me has been all I have really needed. If you would like, you can PM your email address and I can email them to you if you are interested.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member WannaBeALoser's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eliot Seiloff
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries

Doctors and nutritionists have wildly different approaches so you have to figure out what works for you. I'm not there yet myself, but I do believe each of us has to figure out what is the right combination. So far I know that if I don't drink enough water I will stall. Like you, I walk quite a bit but I was doing that pre-surgery and I think my body has already factored that in, so I don't think it really makes a difference for me in weight loss. I don't really "take off" those calories although I do log them in just to keep myself accountable.

The other thing I've learned in this forum is to look for NSV's (non-scale victories). Even when the scale doesn't move I often see a difference in the way my clothes fit, etc. It seems like the actual scale loss seems to lag behind some of my NSV's. That keeps me going.

Good luck & take advantage of all the wisdom on this forum.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said...very good advice. Thank you.

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It doesn't sound like you are eating too many calories to me. Are you doing the protein first, then veggies, then healthy carbs if room? Not drinking after meals? Taking your vitamins? Exercising? If yes, maybe just hide your scale for a while, your body is just adjusting. Good luck - this WILL WORK!

My nutritionist is a sweet, young, tiny thing who has no clue what it's like to be overweight. Maybe rely on the people here with experience, who have been where you are and understand what you are going through.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    It doesn't sound like you are eating too many calories to me. Are you doing the protein first, then veggies, then healthy carbs if room? Not drinking after meals? Taking your vitamins? Exercising? If yes, maybe just hide your scale for a while, your body is just adjusting. Good luck - this WILL WORK!

My nutritionist is a sweet, young, tiny thing who has no clue what it's like to be overweight. Maybe rely on the people here with experience, who have been where you are and understand what you are going through.
    sraebaer, so is mine, although she has 2 young boys. But she also goes to the same church I do, by coincidence, and I know her mom, which makes me more comfortable talking to her tiny little self, lol.!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

17. Said thanks: