Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-24-2020 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Five Years Later - Seeking Approval for Gastric Bypass

My maximum weight was 415. I was 390 at the time of surgery. I dropped about 100 pounds. I plateaued. My weight started to creep up again. I let it happen. Now I am around 360 pounds. I recently went to my primary care provider to seek medicaid approval for gastric bypass surgery.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Five Years Later - Seeking Approval for Gastric Bypass

Can you do that in the US?
    You get a sleeve, then eat around it and then just get another surgery?
    That would never be approved, where I come from.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

You can eat around bypass as well. My father had bypass and lost all his excess weight. Then over the years he allowed himself to gain about 80 lbs of it back. Once he got serious about being healthy again, he was able to lose all the weight again. It is a matter of a lifestyle change. I wish you the best of luck. I agree with Sraerbaer that you should be able to start back to the basics. I would actually start back with what it was like post op. Two weeks on liquids, 2 on soft, and then start back to solids. It would be a good way to jump start and retrain your mind and body. Good luck to you.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    You can eat around bypass as well. My father had bypass and lost all his excess weight. Then over the years he allowed himself to gain about 80 lbs of it back. Once he got serious about being healthy again, he was able to lose all the weight again. It is a matter of a lifestyle change. I wish you the best of luck. I agree with Sraerbaer that you should be able to start back to the basics. I would actually start back with what it was like post op. Two weeks on liquids, 2 on soft, and then start back to solids. It would be a good way to jump start and retrain your mind and body. Good luck to you.
    Yeh I've got friends who had the bypass done years ago and they all gained it back. I just cannot understand it.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

I, too, have a friend who had a bypass - this was back when that was about the only option, and she regained all of her weight over several years' time. She tried getting back on the wagon, all kinds of diets (AGAIN) but what finally got her on track and got her weight back off was exercise. She became a crossfit member, never did any exercise before, but something just clicked with it - and now she looks wonderful.

I agree - you have had the one surgery, and with a bypass, you are still going to have to make the same lifestyle changes. I would hate for you to have another surgery and no success. Of course, maybe it will be just what you need. Most everyone here has experience with the sleeve, since it is www.gastricsleeve.com haha, but I know some have previously had a bypass as well.

Best of luck to you - I am sure you can get advice and questions answered from people here - I am still waiting to complete requirements for insurance to even get my sleeve, but wanted to say hello.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Under your avatar is the text "i had a gastric sleeve", so you did have the sleeve in 2012?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Can you do that in the US?
    You get a sleeve, then eat around it and then just get another surgery?
    That would never be approved, where I come from.
    insane isn't it? I'm in the US and paid out of pocket for my surgery because my insurance doesn't cover it. Then to see people get multiple surgeries makes me bonkers.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen M. Clark
    Last Activity
    10-11-2021 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

They have started doing lapbands over VSG for gaining weight issues. Restriction is restriction and the lapband will work. You could try a pouch reset as well.
    Starting weight 06-06-11: 215 36.9 BMI
    Weight at Surgery 09-07-11: 188 32.3 BMI
    Current Weight as of 05-15-12: 135<-- As of 145lbs No longer overweight!
    Goal: 120 <-- Ideal weight 20.6 BMI

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

I don't have a problem with insurance paying for a different type of surgery when a patient has failed at weight loss. We give drug addicts multiple chances at recovery, yet we hold people with eating disorders to a higher standard. You have to have food to live but you don't need illegal or over prescibed drugs to live. I'm just grateful that insurance companies have finally acknowledged that obesiety is a true illness and should be treated as such.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathi
    Last Activity
    04-20-2019 06:25 PM
    I lived in four states in 12 years. I am working my way back home to MI.
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Well, since I am going through the same process; it may seem easy for me to say "congrats." However, I would congratulate you no matter what. I am going from sleeve to RNY. In this community, I didn't realize there would be so much negativity and blatant jealousy.

People in this community should realize that we are all addicted to food. 90% of addicts relapse at some point.
    I am also in the process of revision approval. I have GERD and weight gain. For the previous 18 months I followed the rules. I could not lose much weight. I was on my own for years.

This time, I am in counseling and have medical support. My previous doctor bailed a month after my procedure.
    After my sleeve, I had a hysterectomy and am now diagnosed with depression. I stayed in my room for years.

So, yeah I am doing a revision to push me back on track. My health is far more important anybody's opinion of my opportunity to do this procedure. My friends and colleagues who have watched me over the past 2 years; "why do you work so hard on your health? I haven't seen much change in your body." That really pushed me forward. It also hurt like heck.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMI View Post
    Well, since I am going through the same process; it may seem easy for me to say "congrats." However, I would congratulate you no matter what. I am going from sleeve to RNY. In this community, I didn't realize there would be so much negativity and blatant jealousy.

People in this community should realize that we are all addicted to food. 90% of addicts relapse at some point.
    I am also in the process of revision approval. I have GERD and weight gain. For the previous 18 months I followed the rules. I could not lose much weight. I was on my own for years.

This time, I am in counseling and have medical support. My previous doctor bailed a month after my procedure.
    After my sleeve, I had a hysterectomy and am now diagnosed with depression. I stayed in my room for years.

So, yeah I am doing a revision to push me back on track. My health is far more important anybody's opinion of my opportunity to do this procedure. My friends and colleagues who have watched me over the past 2 years; "why do you work so hard on your health? I haven't seen much change in your body." That really pushed me forward. It also hurt like heck.
    I'm sorry you felt people were not being supportive; I'm sure that was not anyone's intent. Without knowing how someone eats (that is daily tracking) and what they eat, regardless of their procedure, it's hard to know what to say to be helpful.

I think its a good thing to want your health. Without it, the rest of life is much more difficult.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathi
    Last Activity
    04-20-2019 06:25 PM
    I lived in four states in 12 years. I am working my way back home to MI.
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    If it didn't work the first time it won't work the second. Either surgery is not some miracle cure where you can eat how you have always eaten. If you were sleeved you still have restriction if you eat what you should. Why not try it? Get out your old materials and study up. Then do protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room. Don't drink with meals. Take your vitamins. Cut out the junk. Exercise. Don't blame the surgery, blame what you put in your mouth.
    The science and research does not support your opinion! I am going for it. The worst living outcome would equal me still being fat. That will not happen. I been through some of the most horrible things since being sleeved. I am now more emotionally stable. Watch me make this next step work. It will assist me in getting to my weight loss/ health goals. It will also remove GERD from my life. Plus, again I will workout even harder. See my post in Fall 19. I will be a better me! Thanks for your criticism.

Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMI View Post

You go girl! Good luck to you! Some people are just mean spirited and jealous. I, too, am looking at a possible revision, and although I appreciate well meaning advice, I don’t appreciate mean-spirited condemnation. Never give up trying to help yourself and make yourself better. Good luck, my friend.

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    My nut calls it a mind-reset rather than a pouch reset.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So what happened shparks? I see this original post is almost a year old!