Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Stalled

The last time I have lost any weight was Dec 27/17. This makes it 13 days and I have not lost a lb! I am 3 months out, surgery was Oct 6/17. I am now eating approximately 1000 calories a day with 80 grams being carbs, and 80 grams protein, low fat. I am not sure why I'm not losing and am wondering if I have lost all that I will have lost? Is it possible to settle at this weight now; maybe I won't get to my goal weight, maybe this stall is the end of the weight loss for me? Thoughts?? it's driving me nuts! Is such a long stall at this stage normal???

Thanks in Advance

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    TutTut
    Surgeon
    Dr. Byars
    Last Activity
    07-30-2019 03:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 101 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: Stalled

It will pick back up again, mine did the same thing just let your body readjust. My doctor puts it this way, you loose weight so fast your body is having a hard time catching up it thinks your starving it. when your body realizes its not being starved your still eating it will say ok shes not starving me its ok for me to still loose weight. You will go through another stall dont worry
    5'2 highest weight 218
    Dr. Consult weight in 210
    Surgery Weight 198 (-12lbs)
    Surgery Date 9/25/16
    1 month:189 (-9lbs)
    2 month:180 (-9lbs)
    3 month:174 (-6lbs)
    4 month:169 (-5lbs)
    5 month:167 (-2lbs)
    6 month:165 (-2lbs)
    7 month: 159(-6lbs)
    8 month: 158(-1lbs)
    9 month: 155(-3lbs)
    10 month:154 (-1lbs)
    11 month:153 (-1lb)
    1 year 148 (-5lb)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I went 2 weeks without losing a pound, then I went on vacation where I couldn't be quite as careful and came back down 8lbs! Makes no sense but I guess I'm learning that I do my part and my body is going to release the weight on its own schedule.

You've done really well so far so this might just be a blip. You might check with your nut about the calories & carbs. Mine told me to stay under 750 and keep carbs under 40g for the first 6 months. But as you well know, the advice varies wildly and you've done well so far, so I'd just give it another week or two.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Toss your scale. Seriously. You are doing everything right, but your weight will fluctuate. It sounds like it is messing with your head, so stay off the scale. Nothing is wrong, it happens to all of us. (Makes no sense, but it happens). You need to stay positive!

I just looked over my journal today, I weighed myself every Monday following surgery. Most weeks I lost, 4 times I gained (once three pounds!), and 3 times I stayed the same. But who cares, I reached my goal at 10 months and have been here for almost 4 years.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

^^^^^ what she said. chuck your scale and go and browse make up tutorials on you tube or something to pass the time. Clear out your wardrobe and try on some clothes. Throw some clothes out. Make a face mask. But keep off the scales. You're doing great. :-)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was also told to focus on protein and veggies first. I did not eat a whole lot of carbs in the first 6 months. I was too full after getting in my protein that even the amount of veggies I ate was small. I didn't have room for carbs. I can also say that when I stalled I usually needed to up my calories. That is just what was my experience. Everyone has to kind of see what works for them and tweak it. If you are eating healthy and exercising I am sure your not done losing weight. Just have faith and follow the program your surgeon/NUT set up for you. Don't stress. Stress can do nasty things to your body.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

It will pick back up again, mine did the same thing just let your body readjust. My doctor puts it this way, you loose weight so fast your body is having a hard time catching up it thinks your starving it. when your body realizes its not being starved your still eating it will say ok shes not starving me its ok for me to still loose weight. You will go through another stall dont worry

Perfect answer and I can't believe it came from a doctor. When your body feels like it is being attacked via starvation, it will shut down all non essential normal functions in order to save precious fuel (fat). One of the first to go is the metabolism. Your metabolism can be ramped up and down given what condition your body is in. When you have a low metabolism, you stop losing. So, you need to ramp up your metabolism by tricking your body into thinking it isn't being starved. How do you do that? Well, for me, and many like me, I listen to my body. I paid attention to cravings. Cravings are your body's way of asking for room service.

In my world, carbs and fat are friends, not enemies. You are eating a good amount of carbs, but, are you eating fat? Are you craving something? I'm not talking about missing something, I'm talking about having to have it like you did if you've ever been pregnant. If so, eat it. That's your body's way of saying, "Hey, I'm starving and I need (fat, carbs, sugar, protein, etc) to get back to normal." You may never know what it is that caused the stall, but, your body doesn't care about the delivery vehicle, just the contents. Your body knows that it will have a better chance of getting what it needs if it asks for it in the form of something that gives you pleasure when you eat it.

Another huge factor in stalls is chronic dehydration. Probably the biggest undiagnosed cause of stalls that there is. Drink your water. Do not count anything, including protein drinks, against the 64 ounces of water you have to drink every day. Critical.

Supplements. At three months, your body may be recognizing that you need essential vitamins to maintain good health. If you aren't taking supplements, then start now....today. Very critical.

I have determined that there are four pillars that hold up the platform of life while living on the sleeve.

Nutrition, Hydration, Supplements, Exercise.

Ignore any of those four and you will stall, stall often, and stay stalled for months on end. Once I figured out this formula, I never stalled again. Lost 140 lbs in four months without stalling and 265 overall. There are quite a few on here who followed my plan and never stalled once they made it past the 3 week stall. That's right. They lost their weight without ever having to bust a stall.

PM me if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help....

I went 2 weeks without losing a pound, then I went on vacation where I couldn't be quite as careful and came back down 8lbs! Makes no sense but I guess I'm learning that I do my part and my body is going to release the weight on its own schedule.

That's because you ate something you think you shouldn't have, but in reality, really needed. You busted a stall while "misbehaving". Congrats. You've stumbled onto my secret.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member julieaponte's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    12/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I just had my first stall and I've upped my exercise now that I'm finally cleared for the gym, upped my water, & made sure I'm getting in enough protein and veggies & I've lost 2 pounds in 2 days so back on track and it feels good.

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm a week away from 3 months post op and I am stalled as well! Try not to pay too much attention to the scale. I haven't really lost in 2.5 weeks but since that point, I've had to buy new pants for work. Went from a 20 to a 16, so obviously, something's happening it's just not registering yet on the scale.

I'd focus more on measurements and how clothes fit. At least, that's what is getting me through this slump.