Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1st time but not the last

Uncomfortable or comfortable?? It might be a bit early in the game to be eating peanut butter and crackers love. What else have you been eating Jen, are you in your mashed phase now? I did have an odd cracker in that phase to put my tuna and egg salad on as it was the only way that didnt make me gag too much. I dont need the crackers now though becaus I can eat delicious seafood and chicken. Do you like seafood? It would be great if you do because then you can eat scallops and hot smoked salmon and delicious food like that. Your variety of food will really grow :-)

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Jen, a gentle observation that you're already eating what's referred to as "grazing foods." High calorie, sugar-laden (read the peanut butter label), processed (crackers? crackers?).

Right now you should be focusing as much as possible on dense protein. Say it with me: Lots of protein.

FYI, 2 (level) tablespoons of peanut butter has:
    16 grams of fat
    8 grams of carbohydrates
    7 grams of fat

That translates to:
    144 calories of fat
    36 calories of carbohydrates
    32 calories of protein, which is only 15% of the calories of the peanut butter. That's not dense protein.

And the crackers you're eating probably have zero protein and almost all carbohydrates.

I know it's tough learning stuff like this, if you've never paid attention to it. But IMHO it's important to your long-term success. Right now you're not just losing weight -- you're building your future lifestyle.

Not meaning to fuss at you -- just wanting to point out some things you might not be aware of.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Jen, a gentle observation that you're already eating what's referred to as "grazing foods." High calorie, sugar-laden (read the peanut butter label), processed (crackers? crackers?).

Right now you should be focusing as much as possible on dense protein. Say it with me: Lots of protein.

16 grams of fat
    8 grams of carbohydrates
    7 grams of fat

That translates to:
    144 calories of fat
    32 calories of protein, which is only 15% of the calories of the peanut butter. That's not dense protein.

And the crackers you're eating probably have zero protein and almost all carbohydrates.

I know it's tough learning stuff like this, if you've never paid attention to it. But IMHO it's important to your long-term success. Right now you're not just losing weight -- you're building your future lifestyle.

Not meaning to fuss at you -- just wanting to point out some things you might not be aware of.

Ann, this is why I track everything. I have no clue what is in things, and honestly forget yesterday as soon as my head hits the pillow! Thanks for the gentle reminder.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would skip the peanut butter and crackers. Even after over 4 years I rarely eat crackers. You should be focusing on your protein and liquids. You know the protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room rule? And at your stage there probably won't be room for carbs.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    01-26-2021 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post

16 grams of fat
    8 grams of carbohydrates
    7 grams of fat

That translates to:
    144 calories of fat

No please fuss at me I need it and appreciate it . I feel a little lost with everything it’s so overwhelming. I will definally stick to lean dense protein.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Uncomfortable or comfortable?? It might be a bit early in the game to be eating peanut butter and crackers love. What else have you been eating Jen, are you in your mashed phase now? I did have an odd cracker in that phase to put my tuna and egg salad on as it was the only way that didnt make me gag too much. I dont need the crackers now though becaus I can eat delicious seafood and chicken. Do you like seafood? It would be great if you do because then you can eat scallops and hot smoked salmon and delicious food like that. Your variety of food will really grow :-)
    Lol I did mean uncomfortable, I was so much so I couldn’t spell. I do love seafood and fish. I had a little can salmon yesterday but I didn’t overly enjoy it so I am thinking of trying fresh. How do you make your scallops, do you find them stringy?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I would skip the peanut butter and crackers. Even after over 4 years I rarely eat crackers. You should be focusing on your protein and liquids. You know the protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room rule? And at your stage there probably won't be room for carbs.
    I am going to focus on my protein, it took me a good 30 mins to finish 1/4 of salmon.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Jen I have some great paperwork from my surgeon/NUT if you are interested just PM me your email and I will send it to you. I know for me it really helped to simplify the whole process. And you already got some good advice on avoiding the high carb foods.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jen43 View Post
    Lol I did mean uncomfortable, I was so much so I couldn’t spell. I do love seafood and fish. I had a little can salmon yesterday but I didn’t overly enjoy it so I am thinking of trying fresh. How do you make your scallops, do you find them stringy?
    No stringy! Scallops... 3.5 mins each side in a pan :-) Seafood is great. I really only eat protein at the moment as i can't really fit in veg or anything else. I think it is good advice to stay away from the crackers Jen. Remember to just have the soft foods at the moment and ask ALL your questions here. We are all learning. I was drinking a really carb loaded and sugar loaded protein shake until I was prompted to look at the label!!! I changed that quick sharp :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I agree everything is so overwhelming in the beginning! You need the approved protein drinks, approved vitamins (but never take this one with this one), the drinking rule, what foods to add each week, etc. I think that's why my nutritionist made it into about 5 classes instead of 1 or 2, as it was just so much to take in and so many questions to ask. I was lucky she had it all in writing, basically my "bible" for at least 2 months.

You'll do great Jen43, but it does take a while to figure everything out! Never feel bad asking questions, we have all been there and others helped us with the same questions.