Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    07-18-2018 12:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello Friends. am new here..

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Hi Scorpio, congratulations on your decision. You will be SOOOO pleased. Yup. I don't think it's a bad idea to do a protein shake thang for a week before surgery, I think it really helps afterwards when you will be only drinking fluids. Best of luck with your surgery and hang around here and join in :-)
    Hi Stacey..Will do.. i have already started being strict on my diet.. your starting weight pre-op is close to my current weight.. i just hope i can progress well after the surgery.. looking forward.. Thank you so much
    Good luck to hitting your goal..

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member scorpio1976's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    I am glad I checked in here tonight, I haven't been on in a week or so. I had my surgery last March 2017 (10 months ago.) I have RA. I have been on medications for that and am slowly weaning off one of them now, my RA has been pretty bad, to say the least.

Well, I went on my pre op diet last January when I made the decision for the surgery because my surgeon has all his patients go on the weight management diet. My insurance also requested I attend a class on weight management (through the surgeon's office) for 3 months. As of September I had lost 102 pounds (but I know I have gained a few back since the holidays.) My pain level regarding the RA is gone. I not only can walk without feeling like a water buffalo in pain; I am jogging now too. I attend ZUMBA 5 days a week and can move freely. I occasionally have stiff joints in my elbows and wrists, and know I can't get off the Rheumatoid arthritis drugs for now, but I was OFF all obesity related drugs a week before my surgery. That was FANTASTIC!

Having the surgery was a life changing event. Now, to maintain it. My appetite has come back and it has been challenging the last couple months but I am focused.
    Hi Lori.. absolutely a pleasure from you too.. am glad that your RA pain levels are gone.. my RA is pretty bad too and i have a tough time travelling on work. Apart from the regular RA medications am also taking anti inflammatory tablets as the disease has been very active over the past one year. the main reason for me to proceed with the surgery is to get rid of the heavy medicene dosage, injections etc. i get into depression often because of this medicenes and wondering what future has in store for me.. been really painful over the past few years.

Am sure this surgery will only make life better .. thank you for your inputs and am completely focussed on my health now and will continue the pre-op diet (as suggested by our friends here) though my doctor has not recommended any..

Where you off Methotrexate before the surgery ? Please let me know how many weeks before .. also hope you have not had the "humira" injections.. do let me know..

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you sooooo very much

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

A year ago this week I was in Jordan, helping with a medical mission to refugees, when one of the doctors took me aside and said he was worried about me. He was an orthopedist, said he'd noticed me favoring my one knee (I'd had meniscus surgery), and he very honestly told me that my extra weight would likely cause me continued joint problems. It was bad enough that my volunteer vest was the largest they had and still didn't close...now one of the doctors who had volunteered his time to help refugees was focusing on me! He was very kind and described all the ways obesity contributes to joint inflammation and stress. He even laid out my likely future issues. It was quite a wake up call.

A year later I'm 30+lbs lighter and even though I've just begun this journey I can tell that it's making a huge difference already. I don't have RA but I did have joint pain that is already much better. I couldn't have lost the weight without this surgery. I'd tried everything and just couldn't do it. I have so much hope that I will be able to lead a much more active life and have the ability to travel much more easily now.

Best of luck to you! You will be so happy to have more energy and less pain.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Congrats on getting through all the pre-surgery hoops and on getting a surgery date, and welcome to the forum!

You are going to be amazed (AMAZED) at how much this changes your life! Find a program that works for you and stick to it when it comes to being successful!

I'm sure you are going to be a great loser!!!!

Welcome aboard!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio1976 View Post
    Hi Lori.. absolutely a pleasure from you too.. am glad that your RA pain levels are gone.. my RA is pretty bad too and i have a tough time travelling on work. Apart from the regular RA medications am also taking anti inflammatory tablets as the disease has been very active over the past one year. the main reason for me to proceed with the surgery is to get rid of the heavy medicene dosage, injections etc. i get into depression often because of this medicenes and wondering what future has in store for me.. been really painful over the past few years.

Am sure this surgery will only make life better .. thank you for your inputs and am completely focussed on my health now and will continue the pre-op diet (as suggested by our friends here) though my doctor has not recommended any..

Where you off Methotrexate before the surgery ? Please let me know how many weeks before .. also hope you have not had the "humira" injections.. do let me know..

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you sooooo very much
    I am on Leflunomide (arava) and Plaquenil (Hydro chlor 'something or other). I was on Methotrexate two separate times and it nearly killed me both times. I will NOT take methotrexate EVER again. It took me close to 6 months once I started the Leflunomide to kick in and I was beginning to think inflammation and pain would never leave... but it did. My rheumy then added Plaquenil and the combination worked wonders. I have to see an opthamologist yearly because the Plaquenil will cause eye damage , so I have been taking only half a dose now. I am hopeful I may get to stop this completely eventually. I saw the opthamologist last month and he asked when I started taking the Plaquenil (2015) and he told me that it takes 5 years for the damage to hit. (Nice outlook). Hoping I am off of it...

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    A year ago this week I was in Jordan, helping with a medical mission to refugees, when one of the doctors took me aside and said he was worried about me. He was an orthopedist, said he'd noticed me favoring my one knee (I'd had meniscus surgery), and he very honestly told me that my extra weight would likely cause me continued joint problems. It was bad enough that my volunteer vest was the largest they had and still didn't close...now one of the doctors who had volunteered his time to help refugees was focusing on me! He was very kind and described all the ways obesity contributes to joint inflammation and stress. He even laid out my likely future issues. It was quite a wake up call.

A year later I'm 30+lbs lighter and even though I've just begun this journey I can tell that it's making a huge difference already. I don't have RA but I did have joint pain that is already much better. I couldn't have lost the weight without this surgery. I'd tried everything and just couldn't do it. I have so much hope that I will be able to lead a much more active life and have the ability to travel much more easily now.

Best of luck to you! You will be so happy to have more energy and less pain.
    Hello Dale,

Am glad to hear that you are well and progressing .. Hope you achieve your target goal asap..
    I hope to be able to say the same story after my surgery.. am extremely focussed on this surgery and really want to get rid of the extreme knee and other joint pains which is making my day to day life a lot more difficult. I feel like a real loser when i have to keep telling my boys - hubby and my two lovely sons that i would rather stay at home than walk around a mall its depressing.. i have also realized i have been more aloof than ever before. this is NOT the real me and this is not the way i would like to end my story.

Thank you for all the support and good luck to you..
    Loads of love coming your way

12. Said thanks:

DHB

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gvn71 View Post
    Congrats on getting through all the pre-surgery hoops and on getting a surgery date, and welcome to the forum!

You are going to be amazed (AMAZED) at how much this changes your life! Find a program that works for you and stick to it when it comes to being successful!

I'm sure you are going to be a great loser!!!!

Welcome aboard!
    Thank you Glenn.. amazing to see your journey too.. and i hope you achieve your goal and live it !! all the best wishes from my end.
    Yeah am looking forward to a new lease of life and fed up of struggling to walk and not having my plane seat belts not fitting. my work involves extensive travel around the globe and i would like to get health to be able to grow in my career and have a much more robust life with my boys..

Good night.. we are at different timezones for me the day has just started..

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
    I am on Leflunomide (arava) and Plaquenil (Hydro chlor 'something or other). I was on Methotrexate two separate times and it nearly killed me both times. I will NOT take methotrexate EVER again. It took me close to 6 months once I started the Leflunomide to kick in and I was beginning to think inflammation and pain would never leave... but it did. My rheumy then added Plaquenil and the combination worked wonders. I have to see an opthamologist yearly because the Plaquenil will cause eye damage , so I have been taking only half a dose now. I am hopeful I may get to stop this completely eventually. I saw the opthamologist last month and he asked when I started taking the Plaquenil (2015) and he told me that it takes 5 years for the damage to hit. (Nice outlook). Hoping I am off of it...
    Hello Lori..
    Oh okay.. My Doctor put me on Plaquenil initially but then i started losing hair like crazy and she then added methotrexate to my medications.. but the issue is now after 5 years of suffering from RA, I notice for the next two days after having Methotrexate (weekly once) i am extremely uncomfortable with gastric issues.. its a killer i must say.. but then no choice for now.. i am also having HUMIRA which is the worst of my RA medications. its supposed to be adimulab which is apparently antibodies from another person injected into me every two weeks.. this is NOT the most safest of medicenes is what i understand .. i wanna put a stop to this medication asap and thats why rushing for the surgery. My insurance does not cover the surgery so its an out of the pocket expense which is tolerable looking at all the benefits i hope to get from the surgery.

Hoping all goes well.

Good luck on your journey.. i hope you can get off your RA medications asap..