Last Activity
    07-18-2018 12:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Hello Friends. am new here..

Hello Friends,

Am new here and scheduled to have my Gastric sleeve on 26th Jan '18. The forum is extremely helpful and i've gone through so many blogs and pictures and now am more than excited to undergo the procedure. My doctor has not advised any pre-op diet so i really do not know if i am missing anything..

I am 41 years old and mother of two cute boys.. older one is 16 and younger one 7 years..

My main reason to go through this surgery is obviously to lose weight but more so as i am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. the extra weight is killing my joints and am finding extremely difficult to even walk now

All set and looking forward to a new lease of life and to make friends here too

Anyone with Rheumatoid arthritis here who has gone through the surgery yet ?

Thanks and have a super duper day ahead.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Hello Friends. am new here..

Welcome! You are one of the lucky ones without a pre-op diet, consider yourself blessed. (Some people have to do 2 weeks!). Every doctor is different.

I had this surgery at 57, and while I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis I can tell you things that used to hurt don't anymore. For example, I had foot problems for years. My feet always hurt. Now they never hurt! So I'm guessing you will feel a whole lot better a whole lot lighter. Best of luck to you, and keep up that positive attitude.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Even when you don't have a pre op diet, it is still a smart thing to do.
    It will shrink you liver, which makes working on your sleeve easier for the surgeon.
    He will have easier access.
    I've always considered this surgery a team effort and I am part of that team.
    That is why I want to do my part, so the rest of the team can do their part an bit easier.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member scorpio1976's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Even when you don't have a pre op diet, it is still a smart thing to do.
    It will shrink you liver, which makes working on your sleeve easier for the surgeon.
    He will have easier access.
    I've always considered this surgery a team effort and I am part of that team.
    That is why I want to do my part, so the rest of the team can do their part an bit easier.

Thank you so much too..
    am gonna go ahead and start the diet infact from now itself.. making the whole procedure easier for the team working on me..

Excited and you all here make me feel so positive and welcome

I will keep popping questions now and then when in doubt or need some inspiration..

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Welcome! You are one of the lucky ones without a pre-op diet, consider yourself blessed. (Some people have to do 2 weeks!). Every doctor is different.

I had this surgery at 57, and while I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis I can tell you things that used to hurt don't anymore. For example, I had foot problems for years. My feet always hurt. Now they never hurt! So I'm guessing you will feel a whole lot better a whole lot lighter. Best of luck to you, and keep up that positive attitude.
    Thank you so much

I really want to feel lighter and walk without too much of an effort.. i dread going out with my boys now as i cant
    keep up with them..

Am gonna keep my spirits high and look forward to the whole experience

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Scorpio! I myself am a Scorpio. Also I was 42 when I had surgery. I had chronic back and knee pain. Notice the word had? My pain is mostly gone. 100% better than it was. I know it will never go away because the damage has been done of years of abuse. I'm ok with that because it is better.

This surgery is a life changer! Wishing you the best with your journey. If you have any questions just ask!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Your life is going to change in wonderful ways. Keep reading. Keep learning. Stay committed. NEVER give up on yourself. Put your needs FIRST. No one else will notice. But you will.

And welcome.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Scorpio. The first thing you will see if you read a lot on here is that every surgeon/nutritionist has completely different guidelines for both pre and post op diets. There is no magic golden rule. They are all different. And regardless of the rules, it seems like everyone still loses. My pre op was not major compared to others. I got my insurance approval and was scheduled for surgery 9 days later. My pre op was 6 days of 2 shakes and a sensible meal of protein and veggies and then 3 days of full liquids. I never had to give up caffeine while others do. Never had any issues. Some surgeons are completely against the pre op. So no one right way but mostly on surgeon preference. You are about to embark on an amazing journey. I was super excited too. A small amount of nervousness but super excited. I think my main fear was that this would not work for me. Boy was I wrong. Remember to be active on the forums and it will really help you through the process. Congrats on having a surgery date!

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luv49ers19 View Post
    Hello Scorpio! I myself am a Scorpio. Also I was 42 when I had surgery. I had chronic back and knee pain. Notice the word had? My pain is mostly gone. 100% better than it was. I know it will never go away because the damage has been done of years of abuse. I'm ok with that because it is better.

This surgery is a life changer! Wishing you the best with your journey. If you have any questions just ask!

Wow !! so much similar.. trust me seeing you all am in the highest of spirits.. you wont believe the positive vibe i get when i see ur encouragement.. infact i am gonna keep this a secret as i really do not have too many people who will be happy to see lose weight ..my mom, dad and husband are the only one's who will know and obviously my brother who had his gastric sleeve on the 5th December.. he has lost 14+ kgs so far and am so happy to see him getting fit and more active than ever before.. so i have an example right in front of me

Once again thank you so much for the support extended.. will keep popping questions as and when i have..

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Your life is going to change in wonderful ways. Keep reading. Keep learning. Stay committed. NEVER give up on yourself. Put your needs FIRST. No one else will notice. But you will.

And welcome.
    Exactly !! u nailed it.. my biggest mistake so far is not putting myself first.. i have been running around ensuring the kids and husband are taken care of.. i forgot to live for myself.. THIS will be surely the best thing that i can do for myself and then continue the healthy ways after the surgery god bless.
    i have been glued to this forum and blog the whole day and its helping big time and these one on one's cant get better

21. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Welcome Scorpio. The first thing you will see if you read a lot on here is that every surgeon/nutritionist has completely different guidelines for both pre and post op diets. There is no magic golden rule. They are all different. And regardless of the rules, it seems like everyone still loses. My pre op was not major compared to others. I got my insurance approval and was scheduled for surgery 9 days later. My pre op was 6 days of 2 shakes and a sensible meal of protein and veggies and then 3 days of full liquids. I never had to give up caffeine while others do. Never had any issues. Some surgeons are completely against the pre op. So no one right way but mostly on surgeon preference. You are about to embark on an amazing journey. I was super excited too. A small amount of nervousness but super excited. I think my main fear was that this would not work for me. Boy was I wrong. Remember to be active on the forums and it will really help you through the process. Congrats on having a surgery date!
    Thank you so much.. yup.. in my case the doc has not given any diet so far and as you mentioned every doctor has their own process.. my brother had a gastric sleeve with this doctor about a month back and by almightys grace all went well and there is a good progress.. i too look forward to getting into smaller size clothes

I cant deny the fact that i am nervous but thinking about how my life could change for the better by gods grace reduces the stress...lol.

Gastric Sleeve Member tracey111's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Good luck and keep us posted! I agree with all the others and your life is going to change a lot (in a good way). I don't suffer from arthritis but I know I was so uncomfortable and my knees hurt at the end of every night. I travel a lot for work and sometimes running through airports left me sweaty and out of breath. Now, only 3 months post-op, I am feeling like a new person. I don't have any more joint pain and I am working out again.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Scorpio, congratulations on your decision. You will be SOOOO pleased. Yup. I don't think it's a bad idea to do a protein shake thang for a week before surgery, I think it really helps afterwards when you will be only drinking fluids. Best of luck with your surgery and hang around here and join in :-)

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I am glad I checked in here tonight, I haven't been on in a week or so. I had my surgery last March 2017 (10 months ago.) I have RA. I have been on medications for that and am slowly weaning off one of them now, my RA has been pretty bad, to say the least.

Well, I went on my pre op diet last January when I made the decision for the surgery because my surgeon has all his patients go on the weight management diet. My insurance also requested I attend a class on weight management (through the surgeon's office) for 3 months. As of September I had lost 102 pounds (but I know I have gained a few back since the holidays.) My pain level regarding the RA is gone. I not only can walk without feeling like a water buffalo in pain; I am jogging now too. I attend ZUMBA 5 days a week and can move freely. I occasionally have stiff joints in my elbows and wrists, and know I can't get off the Rheumatoid arthritis drugs for now, but I was OFF all obesity related drugs a week before my surgery. That was FANTASTIC!

Having the surgery was a life changing event. Now, to maintain it. My appetite has come back and it has been challenging the last couple months but I am focused.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

28. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Mohammed Ismail
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tracey111 View Post
    Good luck and keep us posted! I agree with all the others and your life is going to change a lot (in a good way). I don't suffer from arthritis but I know I was so uncomfortable and my knees hurt at the end of every night. I travel a lot for work and sometimes running through airports left me sweaty and out of breath. Now, only 3 months post-op, I am feeling like a new person. I don't have any more joint pain and I am working out again.
    That's great to hear.. yes !! now religiously glued to this forum too. I too travel a lot on work and I made up my mind when i was travelling with my VP last month and i couldnt get the seat belt on.. shucks !! i was devastated and thats when i made up my mind to do this surgery and have a new lease of life.. my brother having done this surgery a month back and making good progress by gods grace is just a super added advantage.. i didnt have to convince my parents or husband too much cos of this I so want to get back on my feet and hit the gym too..
    I cant wait Thank you ..