Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Question for successful veterans: portion control?

I hear a lot about regain lately, so here it is: what do you do in terms of portion control?
    After so many years out:
    Do you still weigh your food?
    Do you eyeball your portions and hope for the best?
    Do you use visual aids, like sizing it up, palm of hand, deck of cards idea?
    Do you use small plates and cutlery?
    Just eat till you're full?

How did it work for you and were you really successful?
    Tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Question for successful veterans: portion control?

I think the difficult part of maintenance is it takes longer to get full, so yes, I have to be careful about what I eat and watch portion sizes. I will for the rest of my life. The other night I was amazed that I had eaten almost a whole chicken breast and wasn't full yet. I stopped. I try to choose fish or chicken for most meals, save meat for just once or twice a week. (My nut says the less legs the better!!)

I have always used a salad plate for meals where my husband uses a dinner plate. I try to eat slowly, but pretty much suck at that. Old habits!

I just started tracking my food over 4 years after surgery, and got rid of the nasty 5 pound re-gain I was struggling with for about 10 months. I went back to Weight Watchers (totally free as I was a lifetime member back in the 90's) as I like the group interaction (it's basically right in my neighborhood and am making new friends), the accountability of weighing in, and their tracking system. Their new program is exactly how we should be eating. I really like the meetings, they don't talk about food all the time like they used to, it's more like therapy to me. But there are many other free programs out there to track on your phone.

My other maintenance key is exercise. I know I couldn't maintain my goal weight without exercise. My preference is hiking, but I've forced myself back to the gym for some weight programs like Body Pump in addition to hiking. (I am not a gym person, I much prefer the solitude of me and the deer over a crowded room of sweaty people, but I need more than cardio). We have 2 ski trips planned for this winter, now we just need snow in Colorado. Let's all do that snow dance!!

So I guess my point is find what works for you. We're all different. But without changing my lifestyle I could regain it all in a heartbeat. But I refuse to.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Great post by sraebaer! I'm so happy your maintenance is going so well and those irritating 5 pounds are banished.

My responses below:

I'm 3 years, 5 months post-op

Do you still weigh your food?
    Yes, I still weigh some foods, and I also measure the volume (cups, half-cups, tablespoons, etc.) of some foods. What determines whether I weigh/measure foods is that (a) some foods are especially tantalizing for me, e.g., cheese, blueberries, vanilla yogurt, wine, and I really have to stay on top of how much I'm eating of those foods and (b) some foods I don't innately know how much they're "worth," e.g., the difference between a large vs. a small Honeycrisp apple. Portion creep is real. For me, it's important to continue to discipline and educate myself about how much I'm eating.

Do you eyeball your portions and hope for the best?
    Yes, for some foods -- although it's not about "hoping for the best," but relying on my knowledge, based on my education.

Do you use visual aids, like sizing it up, palm of hand, deck of cards idea?
    Definitely. Three ounces of chicken really is what will fit in my palm. How do I know? I weighed it.

Do you use small plates and cutlery?
    Yup. Still do that, too. At home, I eat lunch and dinner on a salad plate and with a salad fork.

Just eat till you're full?
    Usually, I am full when I'm done eating. Because, believe me, after 3 years and 5 months I know how many calories I can eat on average and what kinds of good-tasting foods make up that daily calorie budget and will fill me up. It ain't rocket science. Nonetheless, some days, like at Thanksgiving or Christmas or when hubby and I are on a long, luxe cruise, I do simply eat what I want. I also try not to eat insanely at those times or completely ignore the basic WLS rules, e.g., protein first, lots of fibrous veggies, etc. But that's also when the sleeve's restriction benefits are so useful. There's no way I can eat as much now as I could pre-op.

How did it work for you and were you really successful?
    It's working brilliantly. A healthy lifestyle, whether someone's had WLS or not, isn't about being 100% perfect. It's about eating very nutritious foods most of the time. The rewards are that this morning I weighed 132.4 pounds. And my knees don't hurt. And I'm rested because I slept so well last night. And I'm not unhappy or stressed about my health or appearance. Doesn't suck at all!

Tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!
    For the last 5 months (during Year Four) I've been trying very hard to eat 8 veggies and fruits every day and succeeding pretty well. I feel even better eating this way. It's amazing how good veggies and fruits taste and how much they do fill you up.

I still stop drinking 15" before meals and don't drink for 30" after meals. And I do eat a LOT slower than I did pre-op.

And I still try to eat most of my protein first. It really does fill me up better than eating other foods first. Nobody notices but me.

And I'm that crazy lady who still plans and tracks her daily food on My Fitness Pal.

And finally, I am not perfect. I never will be perfect. None of us is or could ever possibly be perfect. I'm just deeply committed to doing the best I can and ALWAYS getting back up on the horse when I have an off eating day.

That's all I got!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

6 years out - eating to absence of hunger (not "full"), avoiding grazing and emotional eating, and diligence about WHAT to consume are keys (lots of water, protein first, minimal junk/alcohol). I also need to excercise quite regularly and i am still about 30# over my lowest weight. I am still like half my former size....so not really complaining just saying it takes perma-diligence is all.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Being in maintenance now I get your questions and concerns. I think sometimes with the regain it has to do with people being in denial. I think we all know when we are making mistakes. Eating too much, eating the wrong foods, not exercising etc. I guess for me, reading all the horror stories of regain I have already made a plan to help combat this. For me....and this is my opinion as I am by no means an expert...it is about being true to myself and holding myself accountable. I make sure I am making good choices, I exercise regularly, and I weigh myself daily. A lot of people are against the daily weigh in, but for me it holds me accountable to my choices. At the first sign of regain, I know I will spring into action. I know weight can fluctuate a few pounds so my be careful moment is if I gain 2-3 pounds. My drop dead get your ass in gear moment is 5 lbs of regain. I got rid of all my bigger sizes. I have no intention of buying bigger clothes. At the end of the day, it is about holding ourselves accountable. And a perfect example of this accountability is Sraerbaer when she had to stop working out due to her injury. She gained 5 lbs and she kept working at getting it off until she found what worked for her. She did not give up until she lost those 5 lbs. She did not allow that 5 lbs to spiral into 20, 30, 40 lbs. She is truly inspirational!!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

And you have all been very sweet listening to me whine about 5 pounds for 10 months.

it's almost the Super Bowl, time for me to stay away from stairs at all costs.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Was that last year?
    Please be careful!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Carl Weiss
    Last Activity
    08-22-2019 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times

It is good to read these things from you experienced folks. I got way off track when I started my new job and then the holidays hit, my weight loss has stopped and then I gained three pounds. I like the idea of accountability. I think support like this board is helpful, I also go to a support group in real time as well which is a big help to me. I am determined to cut way back on the carbs and focus on the basics of WLS rules. I am far from qualified to offer any advice to anyone as I am only four months post op, but again it is nice to read and see where others are in their journey.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Let me add a few "me, too!" tips, thanks to others' comments:

1. I also weigh daily. That makes me accountable EVERY morning.

2. I also find that staying connected to this forum and another couple of groups online is great for both support and personal accountability. The key is finding the kind of group that will (nicely) support you in being accountable to yourself. For instance, one of the most useful groups I belong to is about a dozen sleevers who post our morning weights every day. BTW, I hope all this yakking I do on here is helpful to some of you sometimes. But it also serves as positive self-talk for me and helps to reinforce my healthy new lifestyle.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by knp76 View Post
    It is good to read these things from you experienced folks. I got way off track when I started my new job and then the holidays hit, my weight loss has stopped and then I gained three pounds. I like the idea of accountability. I think support like this board is helpful, I also go to a support group in real time as well which is a big help to me. I am determined to cut way back on the carbs and focus on the basics of WLS rules. I am far from qualified to offer any advice to anyone as I am only four months post op, but again it is nice to read and see where others are in their journey.
    The holidays were horrible! I gained too but lost it pretty quickly once I realized how stupid I had been. Had company for 11 days straight. My skinny daughter wanted fudge. And cookies. And candy. It was fun when the last group left on the 11th day and hubby threw all the crap in the trash. The fudge, box of Russell Stover chocolates (which he works for!), even the marshmallows the kids had for their hot chocolate. (Put a Texas kid in freezing temps and they drink a lot of hot chocolate.). But it's over and we're back on track!

20. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Let me add a few "me, too!" tips, thanks to others' comments:

1. I also weigh daily. That makes me accountable EVERY morning.

2. I also find that staying connected to this forum and another couple of groups online is great for both support and personal accountability. The key is finding the kind of group that will (nicely) support you in being accountable to yourself. For instance, one of the most useful groups I belong to is about a dozen sleevers who post our morning weights every day. BTW, I hope all this yakking I do on here is helpful to some of you sometimes. But it also serves as positive self-talk for me and helps to reinforce my healthy new lifestyle.
    Ann, I believe you are the wisest person on this site hands down. Just think of all the people you have helped! No way are you ever "yakking!"

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member dancingdebora's Avatar
    Name
    Debora Gordon
    Surgery date
    01/03/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Lam
    Last Activity
    12-26-2018 03:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

wow - thank you!

Gastric Sleeve Member dancingdebora's Avatar
    Name
    Debora Gordon
    Surgery date
    01/03/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Lam
    Last Activity
    12-26-2018 03:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I am just a newbie and I find your posts sooo helpful and honest!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Ann, I believe you are the wisest person on this site hands down. Just think of all the people you have helped! No way are you ever "yakking!"
    I second this!
    I love your pearls of wisdom!
    Actually, I copy-paste them...
    Okay, now I feel like a groupie...

26. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

And now....for the rest of the story.

(If you are in the same age demo as Ann and I, you will get that and giggle)

I consider myself the yang to Ann's ying. I say this so that everyone knows that she and I come from two differing viewpoints on how to live post op. I also can say this because Ann knows how I feel about her. We have more in common than not. But, having said all of that, I consistently find myself on the other side of the maintenance fence from her....for the most part.

For me, anything regimented and strict constitutes a diet. I did not get sleeved to diet. I got it to help with portion control and good old mother nature took over from there. I didn't get the sleeve so I could consistently count carbs, fat, and for the most part, calories. I got it so that I could lose weight.

Did I know what maintenance was going to look like for me when I got sleeved? Hell no and neither did Ann or any one else on here. That part of the trip is just as unique as the trip itself. That's why it's a waste of time to worry about until it's time to worry about it.

I know the OP asked about portion control. But, portion control is but one factor in overall maintenance and that's why the vets have taken this conversation into maintenance and not pure portion control.

So, here's my answer to the OP

I eat what I want, when I want, and made just the way I like it. I just don't over eat. Period. Early on, I discovered a trigger that let me know I was full. I learned very quickly that if I respected that trigger, I never over ate. You see, because we eat so little overall, it's just plain old impossible for us to eat too much of the "bad" foods to make us gain weight, unless we over eat. I've also learned over time just exactly how much to put on my plate so I can eat a "full" plate, but not over eat. When I go out, I order a complete meal and eat as much as I should and walk away. I used to feel compelled to only order off of the appetizer menu so I wasn't wasting food or money. Then I realized I was going to be sleeved for the rest of my life so I had better get on with the notion that I was a sleeved person in a decidedly non sleeved world. So I order like an adult and move on. The only concession is make for that is at Hooters. I still order the child's plate wings because they let me and it's the perfect amount of food.

I refuse to make concessions to the sleeve such as small plates and silver ware, weigh my food, or track those other metrics I mentioned earlier. In fact, the only concession I ever made was too buy one of those plates you can microwave and it helps to keep you food hot. I can't eat luke warm food.

To me, all of that other crap is dieting and I AM NOT ON A DIET. (see line one in Tinman's mantra)

I would rather discipline myself to not over eat and then enjoy everything I always used to enjoy, just in moderation. Now, is that plan for everyone?

Uh....no.

Some folks need to be OCD about their routine. Some people need to suffer for their successes. Some people need to live their life accountable to others. I have absolutely no problem with any of those people or how they live or how they succeed with the sleeve.

It's just not me.

But, if we ran a poll on here and limited it to vets no less than three years out and that poll said, "Is it critical that you live your life in year four like you did in year one?" The over whelming majority of vets would say no. Now, to some varying degree, some still do. But, most do not.

So why did I just say that? Well, because I want to put a bow on the OP's question.

Dutch....don't worry about maintenance and portion control. Worry about making it through your first 18 months. If your surgery date is accurate, then you are well on your way. After that, you'll be the biggest expert there is on what works for you. Also, I will tell you that if you research all of the vets on here who complain about regain, you'll see that they all admit that it really isn't what they ate that made them gain, it's how much of it they ate. They will all say that they ate what they wanted, but, they did it in moderation. It was only after some sort of event or tragedy that they stopped holding themselves to the golden rule.

Thou shalt not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever overeat......ever.

And...as my girl Ann always says.....your mileage may vary

Peace

28. Said thanks:

DHB