Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-08-2018 10:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Question 1 Week Countdown Extremely Nervous

Hey everyone,
    My surgery is next Friday 1/12 in Mexico. I'm extremely nervous. I will be going with my boyfriend, who had the surgery two years ago but had a very bad recovery with stricture (only 2% of people get it) and his best friend is also having the surgery so we will be going through everything together. I'm on the east coast so it's quite a long flight, the longest flight I will be on thus far. I normally get sick on planes or in cars if I'm not the driver, to help with this I normally drink water and munch on food. Since my pre-op diet starts on the 9th, I'm worried about the flights both to and from. Water, protein drinks, diet Snapple will all be fairly easy to find at an airport, considering packing jello and bouillon cubes.

Since I signed up for surgery I have read reviews on WeightLossAgents.com and read forums/blogs on here every day. I'm very nervous, this will be my first surgery, longest flight, first time out of the U.S. Lot's of first's. I know there will be plenty of tears the day before and the day of.

How did everyone feel on the third day? How did you feel while traveling? What items will help with recovery and comfortability? Any general tips?

Thanks everyone

2. The following 16 users said welcome Jkaminski92 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 Week Countdown Extremely Nervous

Get a heating pad. Remember the first week is the hardest but it will get a little easier each day. I did better with warm liquids the first few weeks post op.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

For me the surgery was no big deal, no complications and only minimal pain. I tossed my pain meds when I found them in the back of the cupboard years later. My advice for that first week is to nap frequently, sip teeny-tiny sips every waking moment, and walk a little when you can. I slept in a recliner that first week as my bed was high and difficult to get into.

On the plane home be sure to get up frequently to walk to prevent blood clots. I am glad you won't be alone. Good luck!

(That's my only issue with Mexico, the long travel after major surgery. I had a 5 minute car ride to my bed.)

By the way, I think we were ALL nervous before surgery. I kept thinking, "I am CHOOSING to have a surgery, that's nuts." But believe me, it was so worth it to be healthy, happy, and regular-sized. Life changing.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Talk to the airline company and explain your condition.
    Tell them you had a stomach surgery and may feel nauseous and weak.
    Just give them the worst case scenario.
    That will not happen, I'm sure, but better they know what they and you are up to.
    They can help you by giving you a seat, that is least effected by plane movements, get you extra ice cubes to suck on, things like that.
    Ask your surgeon if it is allright to take meds for motion sickness.
    Yes, try to walk up and down the aisles a lot.
    If you don't have much energie after your surgery, ask for a wheelchair.
    Take your rest, wherever you can find it.
    Air travel is exhausting in itself, let alone as a newly operated person.
    Let them help you as much as they can and do ask for help.
    Don't try to be brave.
    There will be plenty of time for that once you are home.
    Don't forget to bring a little pillow to tuck between you stomach and the seatbelt in the taxi, car, it helps cope with the bumps in the road.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I Had surgery with Dr Almanza almost a year ago. Best decision I ever made. I did really good coming home after surgery. I did lots of walking which really helped. I don’t recommend using a wheelchair. Walking helps improve symptoms. You can rest if needed. San diego airport as comfortable seats. No problem getting clear liquids. I totally recommend bringing boullion cubes. I don’t think you can carry jello on the plane but you can have some in between flight and going through security. The hardest part maybe the drive to the border on day 4. it can take up to two hours. I bought apple juice,water,jello on that trip. You can sit in the front seat and your moving slow. lots of stop and go. If you would like to talk via the phone send me a private message and i’ll give you my cell. Make sure you get an Isle sit on the plane so you can easily get up and walk and plenty of room to move your legs. I felt pretty good. Didn’t need a pillow to put between stomach and seatbelt, seatbelt fits below any incisions. Goodluck 432A07BC-EE9E-4256-93EC-4803460025E3.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Then your car clearly has different seatbelts than my car.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.