Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sleeved in 2009 and gained all weight back (+20kgs to 156kgs)

This is a hard post to write because it feels like I was never
    Sleeved at all

Back in 2009 I had VSG. I was so excited thinking my life was going to change. My starting weight was 136kgs, I did optifast which got my down to 122kgs then I had my surgery.

It was a text book recovery. No complications, started losing weight and got down to 110kgs and stayed there and didn't budge. now I'm a water baby so I wasn't drinking liquid calories and not an alcohol drinker. But noticed even though I was hardly eating any food unless I ate like a rabbit (veggies and meat) I could not lose any weight.

I stayed at 110 -117kgs until 2012 when I had I decided to start going to the gym day and night and not eating anything un healthy at all. This got me down to 98kgs!! I was really happy at this weight.

I started a new relationship which meant going out for dinners, trips away and not daily trips to the gym. I'd like to point out that even compared to a non sleever my diet was still a lot better then most.

I watched the weight slowly creep back on with my old patterns on starting diet trends not even working. At the beginning of 2017 I went back to my original surgeon thinking maybe my sleeve wasn't small enough or had stretched. He ordered a scan and no everything was fine with the sleeve.

He boiled it down to saying because I live such a sedatary lifestyle thats why I have gained the weight back ( I work a corporate job working 8am - 6pm and find it hard to gym like I used to) his solution for me is to take duromine to increase my energy levels until I lose all the weight I need.i tried it for a month. Lost 5kgs and felt like I was going crazy!!!!

Now at the end of 2017 I am 156kgs and really stuck what to do now. The reason for joining this forum is to see if anyone else regained there weight back and if they reversed it to then using their sleeve for weight loss again.

I watched a YouTube clip today about drinking while eating when you have had a vsg. My surgeon never told me this. Could this be the biggest mistake I've done? Any other tips?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleeved in 2009 and gained all weight back (+20kgs to 156kgs)

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. Seems like you struggled to lose weight with the VSG to begin with . (Until you worked out a lot and got to 98 kg.) What are you eating on a regular basis? It is really hard for people to provide possible insight without knowing what you a typical day of food looks like for you. I know that you can lose weight after gaining weight as my dad was able to lose the 70 lbs he gained back but he had a bypass.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    sistatry
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Oritz in Mexico
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm real sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know this must be difficult for you. My only suggestion is to get back to eating protein and minimize your carbs. It's all those carbs and soft foods that can fill up our stomachs so easily and add on the calories including things like candy as well and ice cream. But when I put meat in my mouth and swallow it on I'm done after a little bit and I feel satisfied and full. So for me it's the choices that I make in the food I put inside me. How is your eating habits are you sticking to higher protein lower carbs. Remember those slider foods can be real dangerous. And of course water is the key and drinking that half an hour before you eat and of course not during. But I can't drink and eat at the same time either way.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gorospe
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

I had my surgery in July 2011. Lost 100 pounds but was still
    About 45 pounds from my goal weight. I was going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. I trained and ran 2 half marathons in one year (and i was never a runner up until that time). I was in the best shape of my life but still not at goal weight. After training pretty much a full year for the half marathons and spending so much time at the gym (my husband complained i was always at work or gym and rarely Home) i decided to cut back on the running. That quickly went to no running and eventually rarely went to gym. However i didn’t change my eating since decreasing the activity and the weight piled on. I threw myself into work and began stress eating because our company was being bought out and it was ugly. I gained all My weight back plus some. I would do 3 days of liquids to try to reset my pouch for only temporary results. I began working out at home but still not much weight loss. One of my old running buddies that had an injury and gained a lot of weight started a program on improving health and i watched his phenomenal successful journey so i decided to try the program myself. I’m eating healthier than i did after being sleeved. Cooking with spaghetti squash and cauliflower when i never did that after being sleeved. I am on my way to a much happier and healthier life and now have aspirations of getting to my goal weight. This program focuses on food during the weight loss phase so in my opinion what you put in your mouth makes the largest impact while working your way to your goal weight.

Good luck determining what works best for you on your journey and don’t give up!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't give up, wishing you the very best. People have regained and lost again. I'm only 6 weeks out so not much advice but don't give up!!!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Very sorry you've regained all your weight lost and are struggling now.

I'm only 3 years, 4 months post-op. But thus far I've been able to keep all the weight off that I've lost (100 pounds). Here are some truths that have turned out to be very, very true for me and helpful for me.

1. We lose weight in the kitchen. Point being that post-op we really, really, really have to change what we eat, how we cook it, and how much we eat. Bottom line: Calories still matter. Calories will always matter. So does protein, fiber, and nutrition.

2A. The sleeve can't stop us from regaining our weight if we eat things and eat in ways that don't challenge our sleeve. What kinds of foods don't challenge our sleeve? Highly processed, low-fiber foods. I imagine you know what they are -- white breads, sweets, crackers, any liquids/drinks with calories. What foods do challenge our sleeves? Dense protein, highly fibrous vegetables and fruits, and a modicum of whole grains.

2B. EDIT: And the ways in which we eat also affect how much we help our sleeves act on our behalf. Early on I learned to eat much slower, chew food better, NOT to drink liquids with meals (15 minutes before and 30 minutes afterward, said my surgeon's team -- otherwise you're helping wash the looser bits down out of your sleeve into your intestine, leaving the sleeve somewhat less full and demanding more food sooner). I still eat on a small plate with a salad fork. I still weigh and measure some foods, especially cheese which I would eat much more of than I need. Other foods I have learned to estimate quantities of because I've spent 3+ years doing that, e.g., 5 slicers of Oscar Mayer turkey deli meat = 2 ounces.

3. Becoming healthy is about changing our lifestyle. Permanently. Living a sedentary lifestyle, eating whatever and how much everyone else around us wants to eat, not exercising and not being active, and failing to care for ourselves in the ways WE need to care for ourselves won't get us there.

4. "They operate on our stomachs, not on our brains." It takes months, years for someone who's never been very healthy to build and live a stable, healthy lifestyle. We find many barriers when we try to do this -- barriers that we have created all our lives and barriers that we have allowed others around us to erect, which we don't struggle hard enough to climb over. That's why many WLS patients who are successful long-term go into therapy to understand better why they have been unable to care for themselves in the past. I started seeing a therapist a few months pre-WLS, and I continue to see my therapist once a month. The skills and recalculations I've been able to make with his help have been a great boon.

I wish you all the best in the world. But you really are going to have to change your life to resolve these issues and become permanently healthy. Only you know if you are willing to make the changes you need to make and muster the resources you need to make those changes.

EDIT: P.S. As always, others' mileage may vary. But as I said earlier, these things have turned out to be true for me and very important and helpful for me to comply with.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

11. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You still have a small stomach, you have just learned to eat around it. So if you go back to the beginning, how you were taught to eat, you will start losing weight again. Good luck, you have the tool, you can do it!