Stephenie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    01-30-2018 11:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default New to the Forum 7 days post op

I actually have so many questions but my burning question is will I ever feel normal again.
    Currently doing well but finding water still uncomfortable to drink and also getting pain in my upper chest just below my shoulder that I had after the op, which was from the gas they pump ito you, so not sure what that is about, it’s really painful.

I did really well before surgery and had to be on Opti fast for 3 weeks and lost 8 kegs which was a big surprise.

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated for these early days

ThankTans

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: New to the Forum 7 days post op

YES you will feel normal soon. You just had surgery!! These early days will be a distant memory. Just think of the Christmas post you can make a year from now, about losing so much weight and being so much healthier and happier. You will have given away every piece of clothing you own currently. You will be doing things you are not able to do now. Keep your eye on the prize. A positive attitude will take you far my friend!

My best suggestions for now are to rest a lot, get in your minimum protein and liquids, and take little walks. I would also suggest staying off your scale for a while as your weight really fluctuates in the beginning. People get all upset when they stop losing weight while eating practically nothing, but it happens.

Best of luck to you! I had surgery over 4 years ago and have a normal BMI. The only thing not "normal" about me is I can't eat like a pig, if that was ever normal. I can eat, say, one piece of pizza, but I don't do that too often. But I feel fantastic, just had perfect blood work, look good, life is grand!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Thumbs up Re: New to the Forum 7 days post op

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    YES you will feel normal soon. You just had surgery!! These early days will be a distant memory. Just think of the Christmas post you can make a year from now, about losing so much weight and being so much healthier and happier. You will have given away every piece of clothing you own currently. You will be doing things you are not able to do now. Keep your eye on the prize. A positive attitude will take you far my friend!

My best suggestions for now are to rest a lot, get in your minimum protein and liquids, and take little walks. I would also suggest staying off your scale for a while as your weight really fluctuates in the beginning. People get all upset when they stop losing weight while eating practically nothing, but it happens.

Best of luck to you! I had surgery over 4 years ago and have a normal BMI. The only thing not "normal" about me is I can't eat like a pig, if that was ever normal. I can eat, say, one piece of pizza, but I don't do that too often. But I feel fantastic, just had perfect blood work, look good, life is grand!
    Well said and completely agree Sraebaer.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes just listen to sraebaur. I felt very tired until week 6 and needed to take to my bed at times.I found this a bit frustrating but you have to accept that you have had major surgery and it takes a few weeks to get over for sure. Keep sipping, you do not want to get dehydrated, sipping is the important thing. Congratulations!!!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Tans Hang in there you will feel a lot better soon. Walking really helped me and during the first month I couldn’t consume everything or as much has they want you too but by week 4-5 it got a lot easier. Keep your eyes on the prize. This will become a faint memory before you know it. Your in for an amazing ride. Take Care8BE736D1-C690-4ABC-8338-C8ADFBDF73E5.jpeg498C266D-CF1F-4097-ADE3-DCBD0F0F112A.jpegE6B081C9-4FC9-4312-AB1E-B9F5779A9A9D.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Week one is the absolute worst. The good news is that it will get a little better and easier each day. Hang in there. Before you know it you will be so in love with your new sleeved life!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member julieaponte's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    12/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Week one sucks the most lol. I just hit week 3 today & I feel great. I feel completely normal again & it feels good to eat real food again. Sticking to healthy lean protein & veggies but it feels so good to chew food again lol. This will pass and be just a tiny blip on your journey. I promise it gets better. Best of luck!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tracey111's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I agree with all of the comments above. You are going to be very happy and healthy. Having had my sleeve in October, I can tell you that it gets better but you will be very happy with the amount of food you will be able to eat. This was one of my best Christmas's ever. I didn't overeat or drink too much but was able to enjoy all of the amazing foods (minus the sweets which I just don't have a taste for anymore). Hang in there!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephenie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    01-30-2018 11:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone
    Thanks so much for the words of encouragement it means a lot.
    Did any of you struggle with drinking water, I only take very small sips (which is a new concept for me) but it really hurts and is uncomfortable going down, and suggestions or letting me know it gets better would be great.
    It’s my birthday today 51 years young and as I have 2 children they will want to make a cake.. I have no desire to eat anything however and realising now how I am going to have a lot more time to just enjoy being with family and friends and not worrying about food.
    I’m excited what this year will bring, I’m single and just landed a great job so who knows, I’m excited!!
    Tans

Gastric Sleeve Member tracey111's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Happy Birthday! Enjoy without the cake! Pretty soon if you want, you will be able to take a bite but that's about it. And honestly, it feels good.

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

Hi Tans!

What you're feeling is normal. Maybe I'm a slow healer, but I didn't feel back to my old self for about 5 weeks. I'm 2.5 months out, and just recently am able to drink more normally. Even being where I am in the process I'm still only able to eat teeny tiny amounts of food very slowly.

I had pain (full feeling pain) not stabbing pain, with drinking as well.
    Hang in there and good luck!