Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-30-2011 02:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Question Considering Gastric Sleeve HELP!

Hi, I have been overweight pretty much my whole life.. I've done the diets.. i've lost weight.. and gain it all back if not more.. i think the lightest i've been has been 210 pounds... now i'm 285 pounds and I keep on gaining as time passes by.. Anyways.. I am considering going for a bariatric surgery.. i've been reading alot about the band and the sleeve. At first the band sounded good just because nothing was removed.. but then reading about "dumping" and food getting stuck..and vomiting some more..i'm not too convince by it.. so I started reading and watching videos about the sleeve.. and one thing that concerns me or actually i dont know if i am understanding it the right way.. those protein sshakes? is that something i'm gonna have to drink from now on? or is that just done until your wound heals.. and u start eating normal foods?

and another question, i want to know if anybody has had the surgery done for more than 6 years? and if so.. how do they feel.. how has their eating habbits change.. or if they've had complications with not having enough vitamins in their body.. or anything in general..

im sorry.. this is alot i've written.. but i am very nervous.. and afraid to what will happen on the long run.. thank u!

[/COLOR]

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member swimhard4's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lorrie
    Surgery date
    12/17/2010
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 230 Times
    Was Thanked 276 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 169 Times

Default Re: Considering Gastric Sleeve HELP!

I just had it done Dec.17th and so far it is the Best decission I have made. There are possible complications as there is with every surgery. Do your homework and check out the surgery, Dr. , Hospital . Make a informed decission for yourself but you will find ALOT of band patients are having it removed and doing the sleeve. I have now lost 12 as of today

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    12/01/2010
    Last Activity
    06-29-2014 12:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I got my sleeve on December 1st and also like you, I have been overweight my whole life. I waited years for my insurance to cover bariatric surgery and than I fought hard through denials to get the operation covered.... Here is my opinion.

I think about it today and how I can't believe I went through such extreme measures to lose weight. I understand being heavy and obese has a lot of medical problems which can develop and for me some already began such as weak knees, shortness of breath and difficulty walking. I am only 28.

I would rather eat the way I like than be a bean pole like movie stars are but at the same time I want to be healthy. It's hard. Mentally it's really hard. Especially when I go out to eat and I can't have bread or a big potato. Your not supposed to eat carbs.

I guess Im in a rut because a week went by and I haven't lost weight. In fact I've gained 3 lbs. I can hardly eat 5 bites of food, yet I gained weight? Well I wish you luck and at this point in time I am down 26 lbs from my highest weight. So I can't say I would not do it over.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

Hi chubbylovely!
    I've also struggled with weight and was able to loose a lot and then gain it back. So far the sleeve has been the best thing ever happened to me.
    About vitamin intake after the surgery, the sleeve is different from the gastric bypass, the sleeve is a restrictive procedure that doesn't affect your absortion of vitamins and minerals, I have not been prescribed major vitamins, currently the vitamins I am taking are to help with the temporary hairloss some of us go through 3 months after surgery. Some doctors prescribe vitamins to all sleeve patients but it really depends on the doctor and your situation prior to surgery, so not all sleeve patients have to take vitamins for life like bypass patients. About protein shakes that also depends on the doctor, I had surgery back in August and I have not had protein shakes at all, my doctor is not a fan of protein shakes so you will find doctors that always prescribe them or other who only ask you to have them in certain situations.
    I got to my goal on 12/09/10 but I am still working in loosing a couple more to cover any fluctuations and because I am still in the period where you can continue loosing before hitting a plateau, I go to the gym everyday and I have changed my eating habits a lot.
    Definately you have to work on your mind because the stomach is smaller and you won't feel hungry but your brain will tell you the opposite, so it is a matter or taking the control back.
    Bariatric surgery is not infallible, we need to work hard in learning new habits, exercise so that we are successful. Some people don't loose it all or gain some back, but we need to pay attention to what we do, this is a second chance we are getting to be healthier.
    So don't be afraid, you won't regret having surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-27-2015 08:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 407 Times in 175 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

I was sleeved November 12. I have lost 34 pounds to date. I have been struggling with weight since my last child was born (17 years ago!). I have spent thousands of dollars and way too much time with diets and plans that either didn't work or only worked for a month or two, then to gain it back. My biggest downfall was the amount of food I ate. The sleeve fixed that! I have no regrets at all. I simply can't eat a lot, and I don't mind. Food does not control me anymore. Even made it through Christmas dinner last night. Just took a very small amount of whatever foods I wanted and ate very slowly. It woudl have been nice to eat more (for the taste!) but I was full and satisfied. I didn't have desert for the first time in....ever!
    As for protein shakes-I had them when I was on the liquid part of my diet and I will have them occasionally now cause I used to make smoothies before as well. I am on to regular foods now, just very small amounts and of course healthy. I do take the occasional bit of chocolate, cookie, chip, etc. I just don't eat the entire bag or box anymore! The only thing I miss, and maybe it will change, is eating more of something when it tastes really good. But it's not worth eating more than I should cause I do not like how I feel when I eat too much.
    Hope that helps. Have a Merry Christmas

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Nancy
    Surgery date
    08/24/2010
    Last Activity
    05-04-2011 01:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Hi, The sleeve is still relatively new here in the states I think thy have been doing it less then 5 years so finding someone six years out might be difficult. I am 4 months out and have lost 50lbs and am thrilled with it. Most mornings I still drink a protein shake I know several people who stopped after going on a regular diet without any problems but for me it works better to start my days with one especially since I do exercise regularly and there is no way I can get my 80-120 grams in a day. I also take a multi vit, calcium, biotin, b12 daily which is recommended. I pretty much can eat what I want only smaller portions I still have to watch and make good choices you can sabotage any WLS no matter which one you choose.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Toni
    Surgery date
    01/23/2009
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 03:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times

Hi
    I was sleeved roughly nearly two years ago, the sleeve is a relatively new procedure so there are no real long terms studies. For my part i have lost over 50kg and my weight has only wavered 2 or 3 kilo's. I find if i eat a lot of sweets it tends to go up a bit.

Lifestyle and energy I am very healthy, i sometimes get tired but very rarely, I take vitamins when I feel like that. Good luck in your decision, for my part I haven't regretted it.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    colleen
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Last Activity
    07-20-2014 05:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

hi i had the sleeve 4 months ago uk we were given the option of slim fast type shakes after the op untill we feel confident with cooking for yourself. i have lost 4 1/2 stones and it is still coming off as i still have a lot to go. i have a b12 injection every 10 weeks and have to take multi vits every day. i eat most things but i dont eat cakes sweets etc low fat low suger diet for me .
    i had no pain after the op and i would advise people to have the op as it is changing my life for better healthyer things.

13. Said thanks: