08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Anyone RECENTLY have Dr. Almanzo do your surgery?

I have first hand knowledge of no less than 16 folks, including my daughter and myself, who used Dr. A with zero complications and incredible success. This is a big decision so you should definitely do your due diligence. There is risk with every surgery and you need to know that going in. However, with the volume of procedures he has done, I felt like he had seen everything that could go wrong on the table.

That’s why I chose him.

I’ve been at goal for over five years now and consider this the best decision besides marrying my late wife that I ever made.

I hope you do to.

Peace

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 05:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I just returned from surgery with him on 12/14. The experience was excellent and so far I’m doing well. Wish you the best.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

January will be 7 years post-op for me. I had zero complications (or even pain) with Dr A and am extremely happy that I used him. Each person is different. My blog on this site has info regarding my journey and experience with him.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Thumbs down Re: Anyone RECENTLY have Dr. Almanzo do your surgery?

[QUOTE=tinman;603777]I have first hand knowledge of no less than 16 folks, including my daughter and myself, who used Dr. A with zero complications and incredible success. This is a big decision so you should definitely do your due diligence. There is risk with every surgery and you need to know that going in. However, with the volume of procedures he has done, I felt like he had seen everything that could go wrong on the table.

That’s why I chose him.

He May perform the sleeve correctly on some patients but he also chooses to perform this surgery on people who our not good candidates!!!!! I’m one of them which unfortunately didn’t catch up to me until nearly two years later!!! Due to how he performed my surgery it nearly killed me. He cut my Nissan wrap keeping the valve closed between the esophaguses and stomach and didn’t till me which caused me to become septic and due to my medical history of hiatal hernias I developed a new one that pulled my sleeve up into my chest cavity the wrap prevents the hernia from being able to do that. I had a stroke because I developed a-fib because my stomach was putting pressure on my heart. I’ve know had 4 surgeries connected to multiple tubes can’t eat on TPN through my port to keep me alive. In January I have surgery #5. Dr A doesn’t care about his patients nor pays attention to your medical history and if he messes up you will not be informed. Anyone who chooses this doctor is taking a big Gamble on your life!!!!! I was very sick after the surgery and now know why and then did fine for 1 year then started going down hill and didn’t know why till it became a mess. I’m lucky to be here. I nearly coded and slipped into a coma and was rushed to ICU. I’m sick over recommending this doctor!!! I think it’s foolish to trust a doctor only taking cash because in the end he may not have your best interest. I think people stand a better chance going to a doctor that does all Bariatric surgeries so they recommend the right one for you after reviewing health history.
    I’m glad your doing well and hope it continues.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

[QUOTE=Tamera2;603801]
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I have first hand knowledge of no less than 16 folks, including my daughter and myself, who used Dr. A with zero complications and incredible success. This is a big decision so you should definitely do your due diligence. There is risk with every surgery and you need to know that going in. However, with the volume of procedures he has done, I felt like he had seen everything that could go wrong on the table.

That’s why I chose him.

He May perform the sleeve correctly on some patients but he also chooses to perform this surgery on people who our not good candidates!!!!! I’m one of them which unfortunately didn’t catch up to me until nearly two years later!!! Due to how he performed my surgery it nearly killed me. He cut my Nissan wrap keeping the valve closed between the esophaguses and stomach and didn’t till me which caused me to become septic and due to my medical history of hiatal hernias I developed a new one that pulled my sleeve up into my chest cavity the wrap prevents the hernia from being able to do that. I had a stroke because I developed a-fib because my stomach was putting pressure on my heart. I’ve know had 4 surgeries connected to multiple tubes can’t eat on TPN through my port to keep me alive. In January I have surgery #5. Dr A doesn’t care about his patients nor pays attention to your medical history and if he messes up you will not be informed. Anyone who chooses this doctor is taking a big Gamble on your life!!!!! I was very sick after the surgery and now know why and then did fine for 1 year then started going down hill and didn’t know why till it became a mess. I’m lucky to be here. I nearly coded and slipped into a coma and was rushed to ICU. I’m sick over recommending this doctor!!! I think it’s foolish to trust a doctor only taking cash because in the end he may not have your best interest. I think people stand a better chance going to a doctor that does all Bariatric surgeries so they recommend the right one for you after reviewing health history.
    I’m glad your doing well and hope it continues.

I’m sorry you have had such a rough time. I would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes. However, all surgeries carry risk and all surgeons are fallible. Meaning, all surgeons make mistakes and all surgeons have killed at least one, or more, of their patients during their careers. As I said before, all surgeries carry risk.

And don’t get me started on how many American surgeons perform surgery on patients needlessly. Heck, almost every procedure a plastic surgeon performs is not necessarily needed. In essence, if you elect to have a surgery and the decision to have it was initiated by you, then you bear the responsibility of its outcome.

Dr Almanza has performed over 15,000 sleeve surgeries. If five percent of those surgeries resulted in complications similar or worse than yours, then that equates to about 700+/-. I like those odds. Over 14,000 successful surgeries is nothing to sneeze at.

Again, not to diminish your experience, but, I believe your situation to be a one off and certainly not a trend or the norm

I hope your recovery is complete and you live a long, healthy life.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I didn’t have Dr Almonzo, I had Dr Hernandez which is his partner & I almost died as well. I do believe that they’re more about your ability to pay than anything. I’m ok now and I’m praying you will be ok soon also...

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa73me View Post
    I didn’t have Dr Almonzo, I had Dr Hernandez which is his partner & I almost died as well. I do believe that they’re more about your ability to pay than anything. I’m ok now and I’m praying you will be ok soon also...
    I’m glad to hear your better and doing well. The thing that makes me so angry is Dr A should never had performed this surgery. I did my research had found no warnings not to have the sleeve if you have a nissan wrap, history of hiatal hernias. Dr A acted like he had my best interest by not scheduleing my surgery until he reviewed my medical history. He never should have excepted me and at the very least should have told me he cut my wrap in half. He New it was a matter of time his surgery would go south but i’d be back in the states and he would be home free. Now i’m fighting to survive and have surgery number 5 coming up. i can only take in small amounts of water by mounth. i live on nausea and pain meds. People like Tinman you can’t get through. I never said all doctors in the states were all great and all doctors in mexico bad. I recommended people see a bariatric doctor that performs all tpes of weightloss surgery so you get the right one for you and stand a better chance and diminishing risks. Mine was caused by Dr Almanza and it was done on purpose!!!! turns out Dr A has killed multiple patients and a news station did a story on him.Just some of my supplies needed daily CC2BDC86-6DB9-4DF1-A204-24BED328463C.jpeg128621E5-F84E-48FE-81DC-8BD2E159D3B3.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos