Surgeon
    Dr Schirmer
    Last Activity
    01-05-2018 03:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hope It Gets Better

Hi All, I had my gastric sleeve one week ago today. So far, I haven't been able to focus on the positive, the future, even though I've planned for and looked forward to this for a long time. I'm a rather active and upbeat person--for someone with morbid obesity, and I felt well prepared for finally having the procedure.

My big problem right out of the gate was lack of pain management in the hospital. My surgery was performed at the University of Virginia by Dr Bruce Schirmer. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, so I was off of all of my RA medications for over 3 weeks prior to surgery and I was off of all steroids and NSAIDs for 5 days prior. Needless to say, I ached all over. However, this was going to be the case for me to have any major surgery and there was no way of getting around it. About 24 hours after surgery I had pain that I could not tolerate. They were giving me liquid tylenol and oral oxycodone for pain but it felt like the pills were just scratching down my throat and I was barely getting any pain relief from it.

They were expecting to send me home that afternoon and PT came in to get me up to walk further than to the bedside commode. PT had me stand up and they put a big band around my abdomen. That band sent me reeling with pain. I just fell back into the bed and tore the band off. I spent hours just laying there crying, holding the nurse's hand and begging her to give me something IV just to give me a half-hour of relief. She made the request but the Drs just came back with an order for more oral pain meds. I just whimpered all night.

I went home the following day; the pain has been improving steadily. But I'm so fatigued .... I hear of people going back to work after a week. I can barely get from one room in my house to the other without wanting to collapse! I'm taking oxy only once each morning now and don't feel like the trauma to my abdomen is a big issue.

Per my surgeon's instructions, I'm on a clear liquid diet with the addition of 2 protein shakes per day (totaling 60 mg protein) plus 2 Flintstones Complete and 3 chewable calcium w/D. My surgeon said not to start B12 supplements yet because my level was above normal prior to surgery.

Is it common that no IV pain meds are used once you're out of surgery?

2. The following 19 users said welcome Jola to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hope It Gets Better

Hmmmmm that is odd. I was told I would be on IV pain meds post op in hospital and they have already given my my post op home meds: suppositories for constipation, anti-nausea meds, and a BIG bottle of liquid hydrocodone. I know every MD practices differently, but seems odd to give you oral pain meds but chewable vitaminds????

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery in the late morning. I was on IV pain meds until I left the hospital the next day around 1 or 2 o'clock pm. I took two doses of hydracodone during the next day or so at home and was fine needing no more pain meds thereafter.

However, I don't have any of the pre-existing conditions / diseases you have. One of my sisters has fibromyalgia and really suffers at times from it.

Not sure any of this info helps you. What's done is done. But you need to communicate very clearly with your surgeon and the doctor(s) who manage your fibromyalgia to see what meds are now the best for you.

Very best to you!

BTW, everything about the sleeve gets easier and easier the longer you are post-op. Please don't judge the sleeve's efficacy or your future life post-op based on how you feel the first month. I promise you'll come to love this new normal you've created.

Very best to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Sweetpea903's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Michael Ujiki
    Last Activity
    07-13-2018 09:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I cannot begin to imagine how frustrated and disenchanted you must feel. I really hope things improve soon. And don't compare your recovery to that of others- Everybody heals at a different rate. Best wishes!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that you had so much pain. Hopefully you are able to take something now. It will get a little easier each day. Hang in there.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

All I know is hospitals are so afraid of prescription pain medication addiction that they don't give it out. I broke my neck and two ribs last year and was sent home from the hospital with nothing, told to take Tylenol. Seriously, anyone know how it feels to have broken ribs? Every breath was agony. (What did they think, I fell down the stairs to get some drugs?!?)

Hope you get some comfort. It may take going to see you PCP, that's what I did. As far as being exhausted, that's to be expected. Nap all you want! It will help you heal and get your strength back. And don't compare yourself to others, someone with only 70 pounds to lose with no medical complications would probably be able to go back to work way sooner than someone with over 100 pounds to lose with medical complications. Just do what works for you. The beginning is the hardest, every day should get easier.