Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    05-20-2018 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Talking Mexico.. To Gastric Sleeve or Not?

So I'm a Doing my homework before actually deciding on a doctor... I have been doing alot of research and trying to nail down which Dr's are the most qualified but are not outrageously expensive. Initially I had my eye on Dr Louisiana Venezuela... But after reading a few unsavory stories about the facility and a blood clot; That's a pretty big deal. I am a single, full time working mom. My options for going out of the country are more cost driven than anything and doing it on my own is hard! I have a few friends that have used Dr G Alvarez and I have heard fantastic things.. The only concern I have is cost. If I had the money I'd stay here in Texas but donI 't have 25 grand laying around 😐
    Next on my list is Dr Ariel Ortiz. He seems perfect.. And while his cost are still high for me.. I want to make an educated decision and one that will not cost me my life.
    Which physician in Mexican bariatric medicine would you choose.... Why... And if you've had the experience what did you think?
    And of course how Were the facility accommodations?
    What did you think of the doctors listed? I work in the medical field and I know that bedside manner isn't always indicative of a surgeons skills.. Opinions.. Pros and cons.. Thank you soo much!
    Jess

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mexico.. To Gastric Sleeve or Not?

Just a thought, how is the aftercare?
    In case of a complication, can you go to a hospital nearby and will they help you?
    Or do they send you back to Mexico?
    Frankly, if I were a single mom with a fulltime job, I would want my doctor, aftercare, follow up etc. as closeby as possible.
    But that is just me...

I can't help you with your question, I don't even live in the US.
    I hope you get the answers you need, to make a good decision for yourself!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Mexico would scare me to death, but tons of people here are thrilled with their Mexico experience. So it's a personal decision.

I was self pay in the states, $1400 all inclusive. That included all the pre and post op visits for 6 months after surgery. I met with the surgeon, psychiatrist, and nutritionist (at least 4 or 5 times) before surgery. They were amazingly thorough so I knew EXATLY what to expect, what protein drinks were acceptable, what vitamins to take, the food schedule for before and after surgery. They were a phone call away with my zillion questions. I met with my surgeon at 2 weeks out, 3 months, and 6 months. Blood work was done. They have a monthly support group that helps keep me accountable. (Along with all my friends at this site!). If I had any complications, my surgeon would have been right there to help.

But I think the best thing was the 5 minute drive home from the hospital to my bed. I can't imagine taking long, connecting flights to get home after having major surgery. Just the risk of blood clots sitting on an airplane would scare me. And do you realize how tiny those airline seats are when you are a large person?

Then there are the few weird stories I've read on this site, like a guy knocking on your hotel room door to sell you pain meds. Or the lady being carried up 4 flights of stairs on a stretcher.

This is just my opinion, so nobody yell at me please! I know most of you had fantastic experiences in Mexico, and I know I was lucky to be able to afford the surgery here. (I looked at it as about a half a car.)

Best of luck with your research!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I can't say enough good things about Ariel Ortiz and his team. OCC is an international center of excellence, exceeding standards of most US Hospitals. I experienced excellent care, an easy recovery, and outstanding followup communication. My sister and I had a grand time at the Marriot, sightseeing and shopping in the Revolucion district the first two days postop. Once I returned home I could chat with any of the doctors, their nutritionist, etc. via phone or email anytime. My PCP and OB/Gyn are so impressed they recommend him to their patients that don't have bariatric coverage with their health insurance plans. I lost over 100% of my excess weight, kept it off for 4 years and have had no VSG related complications.

Wish I could say they same about the US surgeon who removed my gallbladder 2 years after my VSG. The arrogant SOB left me with a huge hernia that I still have because I don't have the $7350 to have it repaired. The big ugly bulge poking out above my belly button sure takes away from my otherwise flat, hard, bikini-worthy stomach. I'm headed to Mexico for my surgeries from now on.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I used Dr Almanza and loved him. He was Outstanding along with his team. I couldn’t have ask for a better experience. I was a high risk patient so Dr
    Almanza ordered additional test and didn’t charge extra. They made sure to review all my medical records from all my doctors. The Hospital was very clean and the OR is state of the Art. They use Baxter Medical in the states for medical supplies. NO one in my group had complications. Two of the people had family who went a year earlier than us. The after care at the hotel was very good also. I loved all my nurses and the doctor I saw everyday. The nurses are there 24/7,if you need anything they will be there. Couldn’t have asked for it to be any better. The hotel was very nice with comfortable beds. The hotel staff treat you like family. They were awesome along with all the drivers that pick you up starting at the airport, then to all of your appointments. They even took a few of us shopping on day 3 post op. I’m happy to answer any questions. My GI doctor was happy to help and work with Dr A if I developed complications but I didn’t. 88D80ABE-5343-4027-A8F6-21CD5A985A29.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Many satisfied Mexico sleevers on here. Good luck with your decision.

Last Activity
    05-20-2018 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dutchsleeve...
    All great questions ... My reasons for going outside of the country are cost driven. As a single parent and the only income- I do not have health insurance. Based off of my income; I make too much to qualify for assistance; I do pay for my child to have both health and dental insurance. My health has taken a back seat as I pay out of pocket.
    I work with some really wonderful physicians who can treat me if needed, this is a major benefit in working in the medical field. I am very blessed to have a job I love but I do not make any crazy salary that affords me outrageous spending or lavish lifestyle. We unfortunately are a paycheck to paycheck lil family. I work hard and my daughter comes first. In this case it is a gamble... But I feel like it is something that could change my life for the better.
    I'd love to have the money or capabilities to stay here and have surgery but it is not something I can afford. Doing this for myself and my child would put me on track to a healthier lifestyle and help alleviate some of my soon to be real life issues. Painful joints. Short of breath. Unable to sleep.

Gastric Sleeve Member SapphireLevaou's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2018 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Look into Dr. Mario almanza I know on the weight loss agent website if you go to the bottom of the page and choose the procedure you want to get it'll show you surgeons from different countries including Mexico and their prices. Dr.Almanza is the cheapest and he's the one I'll be going with next June or July.

Surgery date
    11/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-15-2019 07:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing everyone. I decided on Dr. Almanza.... I am relying on the positive results of his previous clients to base my decision.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Xraychik81's Avatar
    Name
    Jessica Swarbrick
    Surgery date
    05/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I chose dr. Mario almanza becacause I had 2 friends go to him a year and a half before I decided to go. Neither one of them had complications and both looked great! My husband was NOT on board at all but he went and it cost me a little more for him to go, but the care was great. The dr was very friendly and actually had the same surgery 8 years before and looked amazing. I did a ton of research also. He was my choice. Now the hospital in tj compared to one in the U.S. really does look a little sketchy but, the care I received around the clock there and at my hotel was amazing. It was like a little vacation. They do not give anything stronger than tramadol, so my advice would be to bring your own rx’d pain med before hand if you do not have a decent tolerance for pain. I did not use anything but gas-x and the tramadol. I did fine and went shopping in Mexico 1.5 days after with a drain still attached. It was amazing and I’m so very happy i went there! I only wish I had gone sooner so I could be this healthy and feel this good about myself. (The hubs came around and I think is pleased also)

Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xraychik81 View Post
    I chose dr. Mario almanza becacause I had 2 friends go to him a year and a half before I decided to go. Neither one of them had complications and both looked great! My husband was NOT on board at all but he went and it cost me a little more for him to go, but the care was great. The dr was very friendly and actually had the same surgery 8 years before and looked amazing. I did a ton of research also. He was my choice. Now the hospital in tj compared to one in the U.S. really does look a little sketchy but, the care I received around the clock there and at my hotel was amazing. It was like a little vacation. They do not give anything stronger than tramadol, so my advice would be to bring your own rx’d pain med before hand if you do not have a decent tolerance for pain. I did not use anything but gas-x and the tramadol. I did fine and went shopping in Mexico 1.5 days after with a drain still attached. It was amazing and I’m so very happy i went there! I only wish I had gone sooner so I could be this healthy and feel this good about myself. (The hubs came around and I think is pleased also)
    awesome to hear yah me and my friend jessica will be going together to get our sleeve done and my husband and mom and dad will be coming along too. my friend jessica is wondering if her organs are going to get taken but i informed her that its not that type of place.

Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krstal02 View Post
    Thanks for sharing everyone. I decided on Dr. Almanza.... I am relying on the positive results of his previous clients to base my decision.
    yay me and my friend jessica will be getting ours done next july