Surgeon
    Dr. Obradovic
    Last Activity
    01-26-2018 09:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default H Pylori...OMG!!

Today I am in limbo with my journey. I had my Endoscopy done on 11/30. In the recovery room, the doctor told me my stomach lining seemed abnormally smooth, but he would need to wait until biopsy was confirmed to know anything for sure. So on Friday, Dr. Lee left a message telling me my biopsy was positive for H. Pylori and I would need to start antibiotics...ok cool. I picked up my antibiotics today and took the first dose...I have to take Flagyl..four times a day for 14 days, Tetracycline...four times a day for 14 days, Prilosec...twice a day for 14 days. The issue is that my surgery is on TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19TH. I looked online to see if anyone else in this world had this situation happen to them a week before their surgery date. I found out online that those who were positive for the bacteria and had a surgery date...had to get it postponed until the antibiotics was completed and a recheck of the testing could be done. My heart sunk so low...because I have been preparing for this for over 6 months, my brand new job has given me the time off from work, my mom is using her vacation time to come here on Wednesday in this 18 degree weather to stay with me until New Years for recovery. There has been so much preparation and planning that has went into this just to possibly have to postpone the date. So I decided to call my surgery scheduler at the surgeons office. She told me not to take the antibiotics and it isn't a big deal...that they could treat the h pylori if it is still an issue after I have the surgery. I am a nurse. This was shocking information to me. Yes it would be wonderful if what she is telling me is true...but in the back of my mind I almost know my surgeon is going to postpone my surgery. Now I have absolutely no symptoms of h pylori. I only sometimes get loose bowels if I eat certain things or spicy food...but I've had that issue for years. I asked the surgery scheduler if the surgeon and endoscopy doctors communicate with each other because if that was the protocol...why would Dr. Lee call me personally to tell me to take these medications?? So I got off of the phone with the surgical scheduler and contacted the Endoscopy doctors office. I explained my situation and what was told to me by the bariatric scheduler. The endoscopy nurse basically told me she would have to gather the notes of both doctors and get back in touch with me. I want to have this surgery on my scheduled date, but I also don't want this surgery to cause me to have health issues in the future if it is preventable. So this is my dilemma because I am getting conflicting information from my healthcare team. Another issue I have is why would the surgical scheduler make the endoscopy evaluation so close to my surgery date. This is something I think I will have to ask her face to face. I would hate to have my life affected if she dropped the ball. I'm starting to realize this wouldn't have been a problem if my endoscope was 30 to 45 days ago and I would have been done with my antibiotic regimen. Another situation is I was diagnosed on 11/25 with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and have yet to receive my CPAP machine, yet my surgeon made me sign paperwork saying I would bring my CPAP to the hospital, if not my procedure could be postponed. So I'm trying to figure out whether to just pay out of pocket for the machine and let Tricare reimburse me later, but if the h pylori is a problem the CPAP won't matter right now. Anyway enough venting from me. Thank you all for being so supportive. Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shannon Crosby
    Surgery date
    09/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Arnold
    Last Activity
    09-16-2018 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: H Pylori...OMG!!

Hi Johnetta.

So sorry to hear about your dilemma. I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating this must be for - especially when taking into consideration the fact that you are hearing conflicting instructions. I found that I was tested for H Pylori while I was in the operating room (subsequently, it was negative). I know this because my surgeon discussed the results of my findings with me at my first post-op visit. What I can't, for the life of me understand, is why they thought there was a need for this procedure in the first place. Unless is was routine for the surgery. And even then, as you stated, why schedule it so close to your surgery date?

Regarding the conflicting instructions, I would call and ask to either speak directly with the surgeon, or ask to leave a message. If they are anything at all like mine was, they will be more than happy to further discuss this with you.

Keep your chin up and your sights on the sky!

Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Obradovic
    Last Activity
    01-26-2018 09:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Thanks for your response. About 15 minutes ago, Dr. Lee the Endoscopy doctor called and asked when my surgery date was. I told him Tues. Dec 19th and he said to hold off on taking the antibiotics since my bariatric doctors office will treat me after the surgery for h pylori. He said he wasn't aware my surgery date was so close and I wouldn't be able to finish the 14 day regimen prior to surgery. Hearing from him has been such a big relief off of my chest so as of right now my surgery is still a go...now I have to figure out the CPAP machine situation.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh Johnetta arrrghhhh, miscommunication is the worst! You know what it's like as a nurse! I think def try to call your surgeon though and check and double check . You know the drill... call till you get a result, you want to make sure you are doing exactly the right thing. I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you that it is going to be all fine. Please let us know XX

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Johnetta, great news!

Countdown beginning now.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Johnetta,

Call you doc and talk with him about the Cpap. I took mine to the hospital and it was never used. Plus it takes some getting used to.

Blessings!

A

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the H Pylori as well but my endoscopy revealed it (and an ulcer) in August and my surgery wasn't until November. I had the same antibiotic regimen as you. It wasn't too bad. Glad to hear that it can be treated post op. It would have been totally sucky if you had to postpone surgery since you have everything lined up with work and your mom. So happy it worked out.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh yay it's all good!!! I didn't read that properly!!! :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon Crosby
    Surgery date
    09/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Arnold
    Last Activity
    09-16-2018 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello again, Johnetta.

So glad to hear that the turn of events worked in your favor. It would have been terrible to think that you've come so far only to have your surgery postponed as result of this setback.