06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Long term results?

When I got the sleeve June 2012 there really were no long term studies on people 5 years out. Anyone else having issues suddenly with acid reflux, hernias and ulcers?
    After 5 months of doctor to doctor to referral to referral test after test (one endoscopy showing nothing and 3 months later showing an ulcer plus 2 hernias) it looks like I am looking forward to a revision surgery from the sleeve to a full bypass. I do not want to do the full bypass # 1 just don't want another surgery # 2 I can't lose anymore weight # 3 the side effects of the full bypass are not what I really would call all that desirable.
    I have a followup with the bariatric surgeon on Wednesday so we'll see. But I know of 3 others personally who had the sleeve done around the same time as I did and they were having the same issues all of a sudden and had to have the revision.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Default Re: Long term results?

I just had a re-sleeve, hernia repair, and gallbladder removal last month. You and I had our initial sleeves done pretty close to each other. The hernia gave me acid reflux but it was controlled with prescription medication, Dexilant 30mg. I really didn’t want a bypass either.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is a lot of study long term but my practice has a research study with a local university that has been going on a few years, so hopefully eventually there will be. Gosh that must be upsetting for you as it would be quite a decision to go to a bypass. I do hope it can be sorted in a different way for you. :-(

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Ok you guys are scaring me.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 3 years, 4 months post-op. GERD is well controlled. No hernias here. No ulcers here.

And no weight regain.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member greenergrass's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 09:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

sraebaer, there are quite a few long-term (9+ years follow up) studies at this point. You can find lots of long-term abstracts here: asmbs . org / abstract-archives (from my memory the 2016 and 2015 conferences have more details re long term VSG outcomes than the 2017 conference) and also probably on pubmed. From what I've read, the long term prevalence of GERD after VSG is ~35%. I've read some research suggesting that the incidence of de novo GERD (i.e., someone developing GERD when they didn't have GERD preop) is a bit lower (~10% if I recall correctly).

Out of curiosity - does anyone here NOT have GERD? (i.e., so little that it does not need to be medically controlled?)

azladyrider, I'm so sorry that this has come up Best of luck with your decision!

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Please don’t be scared. My weight gain was a direct result of a very bad period of depression and anxiety, plus serious back-to-back illnesses. The hiatal hernia and gallstones could very well be because of the sleeve but those are minor side effects compared to what my path would have been without the initial sleeve surgery. Heart disease, diabetes, and stroke caused by obesity is far, far worse.

Don’t ever regret this surgery, even if minor things crop up. Those are just minor bumps and potholes on our road, not brick walls or road washouts you you find on obesity’s road.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Please don’t be scared. My weight gain was a direct result of a very bad period of depression and anxiety, plus serious back-to-back illnesses. The hiatal hernia and gallstones could very well be because of the sleeve but those are minor side effects compared to what my path would have been without the initial sleeve surgery. Heart disease, diabetes, and stroke caused by obesity is far, far worse.

Don’t ever regret this surgery, even if minor things crop up. Those are just minor bumps and potholes on our road, not brick walls or road washouts you you find on obesity’s road.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

My sister celebrated her 6 sleeve YEAR sleeversary in November and has none of those issues. I am not that far so no experience.

****I had to update this. I meant to put 6 YEARS not 6 MONTHS. Sorry!****

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenergrass View Post
    sraebaer, there are quite a few long-term (9+ years follow up) studies at this point. You can find lots of long-term abstracts here: asmbs . org / abstract-archives (from my memory the 2016 and 2015 conferences have more details re long term VSG outcomes than the 2017 conference) and also probably on pubmed. From what I've read, the long term incidence of GERD after VSG is ~35%. I've read some research suggesting that the incidence of de novo GERD (i.e., someone developing GERD when they didn't have GERD preop) is a bit lower (~10% if I recall correctly).

Out of curiosity - does anyone here NOT have GERD? (i.e., so little that it does not need to be medically controlled?)

azladyrider, I'm so sorry that this has come up Best of luck with your decision!
    I do not take anything for GERD. I only did the very first few months.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks all for the input. I only had a slight regain due to me never leaving the house for literally months on end sitting in my jammies working during tax season and making crappy "grab and go" eating. So that part was my fault. But to answer someone else, no other than the first 3 months or so I NEVER had Gerd or reflux ever till the last 5 months or so.
    I've had my gall bladder out since the 90s so that wasn't an issue. When I had my tummy tuck in 2014 I think it was my surgeon found 2 hernias while he was in there and fixed for free. Never knew I had them.

I started getting out again about a month ago (after tax extension time was over, God I hate being an accountant sometimes lol) and was shocked that me tightest size 1's were falling off me all nite.

Ugh ugh ugh I'm going to ask him to fix the hernias and do whatever with the ulcers for now and go from there. If it's not stopped in 6 months then I'll bite the bullet and have the bypass. I'm 60 freaking years old and at my age I'm getting more concerned with going under.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I do not take anything for GERD. I only did the very first few months.
    Me too Christie that's why this coming up now this far out is so baffling

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Do you think that the hernias may have something to do with the GERD? I am a little over a year out, and I have never had a GERD problem. I know that it can be a side effect, but luckily it hasn't been an issue. Just wondering if while you were working, you drank a lot of coffee? If so, perhaps that may have contributed to the problem.

23. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I have never had a single complication due to my sleeve. I took meds for acid reflux the month after surgery because the doctor wanted me to, but none after. I do not have GERD. I feel fantastic. I was 4 years out in February. I gained a few pounds but finally lost them. It scares me to think complications are just waiting to come up. Like a bypass on a perfectly healthy regular-sized (or smaller) person? That makes no sense at all. How could you have a bypass and keep losing weight when you have no weight to lose? I would think that would lead to death.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by southernmom View Post
    Do you think that the hernias may have something to do with the GERD? I am a little over a year out, and I have never had a GERD problem. I know that it can be a side effect, but luckily it hasn't been an issue. Just wondering if while you were working, you drank a lot of coffee? If so, perhaps that may have contributed to the problem.

I drink coffee. What's that supposed to do?