Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Dining at Friends

Now I have no problem eating at home, in a restaurant, a big family meal (like Thanksgiving) or at some huge catered function. I've got that down to a science.

My problem is when we're quests at a small dinner party. We have 2 couples, great friends, that we take turns hosting really fancy dinners. They guys are always trying to out-do each other with the most gourmet food ever, not to mention endless champaign, wine, brandy, after dinner drinks, etc.

I always worry about insulting the host by not eating all this food. Or not drinking over a 4 hour evening when they keep pouring. I know they have worked all week on this meal. Last night was at least 5 different (bariatric unfriendly) appetizers, a fancy salad with candied walnuts and cheese, beef Wellington, green beans wrapped with bacon, little potato puffs, and some rich chocolate desert. The host served our salads along with our plates of food, so I wasn't able to choose tiny portions of anything. When it came to desert I asked hubby to go into the kitchen and say I didn't want one, but they were all ready to be served. I ate 2 bites and left the rest at the table. I felt bad about not eating it. Hubby gets angry when I try to pass off extra food to him, as even he was stuffed.

It is embarrassing, and I feel like I am insulting my host by wasting so much food. These people are good friends and know I had weight-loss surgery.

I guess I could have gone into the kitchen and made my own plate, but we were all asked to sit at the dining room table.

What could I have done differently? I came home feeling like crap. On the plus side, I didn't gain weight, where I expected to have gained about 5 pounds!!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dining at Friends

They may be good friends and they may know you had wls, but did you tell them at any point your specific needs and wants?
    Sometimes people think that wls patients just don't eat much of anything, and that's it.
    They don't understand that some if us have specific things we can't or won't eat anymore.
    I'm sure they will keep your wishes into consideration, once you have explained, what it is you want or need.
    If you don't do alcohol anymore (just an example), how could they be offended?
    When one of those friends came to you with specifics, concerning their diets, would you be offended?
    I wouldn't be.
    I would tell them in advance, what I planned on making and ask for some feedback.
    Frankly, I would expect nothing less from a good friend.
    Make them understand, would be my advice.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SteelerChick's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Myers
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Iit's YOUR CHOICE what you put into your body. This is YOUR life. When your host realizes no means no, s/he'll stop pushing you. Just my opinion.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Ditto what dutch said!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Next time I will go into the kitchen and request I make my own plate of salad and dinner. Sometimes I feel like even friends are trying to sabotage me. They KNOW I eat small portions, we have hung our since my surgery 4 years ago and before. Heck, I did my pre-op diet at their lake house on vacation! Drank shakes while they ate their gourmet food and drank their wine.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Myers
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

I think that's a great idea. You need to make your own plate. Frankly, I've never been to a dinner anywhere (except a restaurant) where your plate is prepared for you by the host. It's either buffet or pass the serving dishes. If they are good friends and know your situation so well, they should have no problem supporting you. And yes, I totally believe people will do anything to sabotage you. We live with my MIL (an extremely jealous person) and you wouldn't believe how she tried to block me from my goals. I straight up told her I knew what she was trying to do even tho she denied it, but the more she tried, the more determined I got. In a way, she made it easy. lol And here I am, I made it. NO ONE will screw this up for me, not a month from now, not a year from now and not 4 years from now.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Myers
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

I forgot to say, you look wonderful!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

O yes, there will be people trying to sabotage you or me.
    I wouldn't consider them good friends.
    Good friends don't do that, at least not intentionally.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Jeez Louise!

Sorry, but it really does get my goat that Americans think that eating like pigs and drinking like Brits is the most sophisticated way to entertain each other.

If I were their guest I would SO NOT WORRY about offending them by not cleaning my plate. If they're offended, then that's on them. "I can't eat this much food or drink this much alcohol anymore. It's not good for me. It gives me indigestion. It makes me feel bad. It gives me acid reflux. It's not good for my health." Etc. Or just: "I have lost XXX pounds. I'm not about to regain that weight, and not regaining means I can't eat like this anymore."

Seriously, you do you, Sraebaer. And please do what's good for YOU. Don't do something bad for you because you're afraid of making someone else feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, having a straight-out conversation with your host and/or hostess prior to the next dinner party about what truly entertains you these days is another possibility.

(I must be in a mood this morning!)

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

LOL!
    Well, truth be told, what I wrote here is the polite version.
    I am not so polite as this may seem...

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Myers
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Thank you!! I sort of said the same thing then thought maybe I came on too strong and edited my post, but I'm with you! This is about YOU, not about pleasing others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Jeez Louise!

Sorry, but it really does get my goat that Americans think that eating like pigs and drinking like Brits is the most sophisticated way to entertain each other.

If I were their guest I would SO NOT WORRY about offending them by not cleaning my plate. If they're offended, then that's on them. "I can't eat this much food or drink this much alcohol anymore. It's not good for me. It gives me indigestion. It makes me feel bad. It gives me acid reflux. It's not good for my health." Etc. Or just: "I have lost XXX pounds. I'm not about to regain that weight, and not regaining means I can't eat like this anymore."

Seriously, you do you, Sraebaer. And please do what's good for YOU. Don't do something bad for you because you're afraid of making someone else feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, having a straight-out conversation with your host and/or hostess prior to the next dinner party about what truly entertains you these days is another possibility.

(I must be in a mood this morning!)

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Drinking like brits just made me LOLLLLL. I mean gawd, it's hard to say no to a good dry martini! You're too bloody funny Ann lol.
    Sraebaer, this is a tricky one. I spend quite a bit of time at medical conferences where it is all fancy pants dinners and drinking. I don't think the dinners will be so bad but i am known to be the party girl of dry martinis (it's the Brit thing ;-) so last time i did have a few questions about 'Why the hell arn't you drinking???" ...I was just like "Sweetie, i am as pure as the driven snow", much guffawing and then everyone was too drunk to care. It's quite easy like you say, in the group situations.
    I also will have occasions like you have had there, with more intimate dinners. I hadn't actually thought about how to deal with that yet so your comment has given me an opportunity to think about that and I do understand that it could be a little awkward, especially as I sometimes end up eating with people I really don't know very well at all. My solution for this is to invite everyone to a resturant so i can order what i want!! I think in an intimate situation I would explain quietly to the host that I really will only be tasting each dish and they must not be offended. Straight up. Then i would taste each dish. Delicious! Then leave everything else on my plate.
    I love to cook and have also spent quite some time planning beautiful meals for people. It wouldn't bother me at all if I knew someones situation and they wanted a small portion or just tastes but as you know, people have a funny thing with food. I think you have to be straightforward and kind with your host over a quiet word in the kitchen and then unapologetic at the table.
    It is tricky though I understand.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I've been dreading a similar, 2 1/2 weeks with old friends after the holidays. But I believe I'll just ask to be served on a salad plate, so I can have a bite of each thing. I can't do more than a sip of wne, like at church. I'm hoping they know this is a health issues, not social. Thanks for helping me. Both other couples husband we're professional chefs...
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with what others say - if they are good friends then they should understand, if they try and "sabotage" isn't that them insulting you?
    I think that friends have good intentions and just cannot understand how we can be full after 4 bites or whatever. I wouldn't have eaten what I didn't want to eat... period no matter who made what or how long they worked on the preparation. I haven't drank since 2001 so that's never been an issue.
    My local friends never fussed at me to "oh god you have to eat more than that" but my friends that I have known for over 40 years + used to when I would visit my hometown. I finally had a massive meltdown one nite when we were out and one person after another made a comment about how little I had eaten and how I "had to eat more" - I literally snapped and told my friend since grade school to KNOCK IT OFF and I am fine with the 3 bites I just ate. After I calmed down I said look sorry for snapping but you see me eat 3 bites what you don't see is that I eat those 3 bites 10 or more times a day.

Bottom line is you ate what later made you feel like crap so....

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Real friends will understand especially since they know about your sleeve. If they truly care about you, they will not be offended. I would not feel bad one little bit. If we had to eat just to please others than we would all be fat again in no time. I am not giving up my new healthy body to please anyone. If they are a real friend they will understand. If they don't understand...I truly don't need them in my life.

29. Said thanks: