Gastric Sleeve Member Mytwinsdad's Avatar
    Surgeon
    None Chosen
    Last Activity
    06-22-2018 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default This is all new...very scary to me.

Hello everyone.
    It all seems "fine" until I start writing down all the things that I've been told about my health. So, here's where we start.

I'm 43, 5'9" or 5'10" if I've got my boots on.

I have severe hypertension that I've had since I was 14. I generally run about 160/116 up to 180/120. I know, I know... I've heard it all.
    I take up to 7 pills a day for blood pressure alone. Hate it.

I have sleep apnea that I use a cpap for

Borderline type 2 diabetic

1st Heart attack (spasm) was at 25

Currently I weigh about 310 with a BMI of 46.

So, my PCP has me go see another Dr to control my BP and the first thing that everyone tells me is to lose weight. I've been on a rollercoaster for years. Remember when I said hypertension since 14? I wasn't overweight at 14. They hypertension Dr recommended have a sleeve since my BMI is over 40 and I have more than 2 risk factors and to loose 100lbs.

So, here I am. I found this site to try and find some "real" research from people that have been in my same position. People that have drank the cool-aid rather than just what the Dr. websites want you to hear. I'm lookin for the real information, cuz to be honest...I'm scared.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: This is all new...very scary to me.

Hi there and welcome! You have certainly come to the right place if you want to ask questions and here about how things really are. I myself have not yet had the surgery. I am 50 and at 265 lb and 5 ft 7 inches. I have tried to diet and tried to work out - I have the knowledge but just have been unsuccessful at doing it on my own - as most of us. I also had high blood pressure before I was heavy. In my 30s and when I weighed around 150 lb, I was under a lot of stress and started taking BP med - as well as anxiety and anti-depressant medication. More things happened, but the long and short of it is, here I am now - the largest I have ever been and more depressed than ever. I got to the point that I went to work and came home and that is it - too embarrassed about my size, too worn out to walk much if I did go out - I was just waiting around but I didn't know what for. I had thought about weight loss surgery but always thought if I tried a little harder I could do it. Well I can't. And that is ok. Now that I am done with the clearances and everything has been submitted to insurance, I just have to wait on my date and see if it will be at the end of the year or the first part of 2018. I decided on the sleeve because it makes the most sense to me - it uses the regular route of digestion, but with less stomach. I am finally, after many years, hopeful about something, and I feel like I am doing something for myself that I should have done 10 years ago. Any questions you have - just put them out there - this is a great forum with plenty of people who have been there and done that - and are willing to share what they know with you!

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Welcome. You've come to the right place. Read all you can. My doctor was honest with me: the relatively minor risks of this surgery are small compared to the many risks associated with obesity. Even though I'm very new to it all, I haven't regretted it for a minute.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

The risk of dying from weight loss surgery is less than 1 percent...less than 1 out of 100 people die as a direct result of weight loss surgery. Major complications are also rare.

While it's normal to be scared of the unknown, be mindful that your obesity will kill you faster and at an earlier age than any form of bariatric surgery ever will.

Good luck to you.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

^^^^What she said.
    And welcome.
    Best thing I ever did and don't regret it for a second.
    Join in on this board and ask as many questions as you like.
    For someone like you it is absolutely life saving.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome.

Please stay here and keep reading, reading, reading.

Now, a question ... what scares you?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Jean
    Surgery date
    11/30/2017
    Surgeon
    Clifforth
    Last Activity
    02-21-2023 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome also. I'm only a week out from having my sleeve done and I've lost 8 kilos.
    That's over 3 weeks, two week pre op shakes and one week liquids from surgery.
    It feels like having a different outlook on food, no cravings, no hunger pains, more energy.
    Gee! It's like a new start. Don't fear! We all have issues and fears about what's going to happen but
    you will love the new you.

Highest weight 247lbs (112kgs)
    1 month. - 224.5lbs (22.5lbs)
    2 month. -211lbs (13lbs)
    3 month - 205lbs (6lbs)
    4 month - 199lbs (6lbs)
    5 month - 194lbs (5lbs)
    6 month- 187lbs (7lbs) 58.5lb loss (26kgs)

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Mytwinsdad's Avatar
    Surgeon
    None Chosen
    Last Activity
    06-22-2018 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you for the question. I guess that if I was being completely honest with myself it would be failure. What if I fail at this. I, like many others have dieted, changed eating habits, exercised (this I could do more), taken vitamins, blah, blah, blah... all the "should haves" and have failed, because I'm still in the same boat. If not have gone backwards. Am I taking the "easy way" out? Should I just buckle down and finally invest in myself and eat properly, exercise regularly. I just know myself...ugh... What about the getting sick part? What if I overeat? I'm not an emotional eater, I usually forget to eat and then when I do my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I eat more than I should... This is permanent. Forever. Big change. But like someone else here said, the complications from being overweight could be far worse. I know it's a ramble... my apologies. This idea was kind of sprung on me by my Dr. and not something that I have ever thought about or even considered.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mytwinsdad View Post
    Thank you for the question. I guess that if I was being completely honest with myself it would be failure. What if I fail at this. I, like many others have dieted, changed eating habits, exercised (this I could do more), taken vitamins, blah, blah, blah... all the "should haves" and have failed, because I'm still in the same boat. If not have gone backwards. Am I taking the "easy way" out? Should I just buckle down and finally invest in myself and eat properly, exercise regularly. I just know myself...ugh... What about the getting sick part? What if I overeat? I'm not an emotional eater, I usually forget to eat and then when I do my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I eat more than I should... This is permanent. Forever. Big change. But like someone else here said, the complications from being overweight could be far worse. I know it's a ramble... my apologies. This idea was kind of sprung on me by my Dr. and not something that I have ever thought about or even considered.
    I completely understand. I'm an emotional eater as well and the fear of failure is huge for me. I'm starting to see a therapist next week who specializes in working with people post surgery. Here's what I have seen so far: I still have the same bad head habits but they are not fueled as much by my stomach. So after a stressful day I still want to eat at night. I can have a few bites of chicken and be so full that my head gets the message. One of the reasons most insurance companies want the 6mos of pre-op prep is to help you get your head in the game and help you develop good habits for post-op. At first I resented that time. Now I realize I should have taken more advantage of it. This really is different. It's not another diet. Almost everyone in this forum can tell you how they dieted their way into obesity. There are so many smart, competent people here who tried every diet and exercise plan but failed. So many of them have finally found success because they now have this tool to help. I'm just at the beginning of this journey but I truly feel hopeful.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Mytwinsdad,
    I would like you to consider some facts about the folks on this forum. All of us were overweight, all of us tried every fad diet and worked out. Many of us have hypertension, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Most of us here knew proper nutrition and tried to eat healthy but something didn't work. Maybe it was will power maybe genetics. Now that almost all of us here had the sleeve surgery things ARE different. I will only speak for my self but, I am off my cholesterol meds after only 69 days post surgery. My doctor says I was not even considered pre diabetic but says I have 0 chance of becoming diabetic. My blood pressure averages 126/68 and my doctor will eventually take me off those meds. I am now at a lower weight than I was 25 years ago. Since the start of my pre-op diet September 19th I am down 61 and have 37 more to reach my realistic goal. All in less than 3 months.

Like the other posts before me read and learn everything you can about this procedure and the process. One of the great things about this surgery is you lose a considerable amount of weight in the first few months and that can really motivate you. I am looking forward to the challenge of losing more and more important keeping the weight off. Many, many, many of us said I wish I would have done this sooner.

We don't give medical advice here but we relate our experience. If you can get your BP under control and your doctor and his staff think you are healthy and a good candidate for this surgery give it serious consideration. My one question for you is. Where will you be one year from today? Will you be the same weight and fighting the same health issues or will you be a lighter, healthier more fit happier person? Learn everything you can and the best of luck on your journey.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

DHB and Pheeel21 -- I love your responses to Mytwinsdad.

To Mytwinsdad ... I understand your concerns and confusion if the idea of weight loss surgery (WLS) was suggested by your doctor, rather than vice versa.

Here's my experience in a nutshell. I had VSG surgery age 68 and just turned 72. I'm 3 years and nearly 4 months post-op. I've lost over 100 pounds and have maintained all that loss since losing it. I am healthier, slimmer, more active, happier, and more attractive than I've been in decades! It's one of the most best and most important decisions I've ever made in my life.

About half of all WLS patients are considered "successful" per this definition of WLS success: They maintain 50% or more of their weight loss long-term. I'm in the super-successful category, because (thus far, at least) I've maintained 100% of my weight loss. And I've done so by being super-motivated and super-accountable to myself. I've also been in therapy since a few months prior to WLS. FYI, my primary care physician told me about 5-6 years ago (when I went to him and said I was considering WLS) that he strongly recommended that "you find a good therapist and try to learn why your self-care is so poor." It was startling and effective advice.

Yes, there are magnificent physical benefits that we get thanks to the sleeve. For one, the hunger hormone (ghrelin) is greatly reduced, reducing our appetites considerably for a year or longer. For some lucky folks, their appetite never comes back as strongly as before; others aren't so lucky. I definitely get hungry these days (physically AND emotionally). But happily, because I've spent the last 3.5 years paying careful attention to what the differences between physical and "head" hunger are, I don't overeat like I used to, having built some pretty tough new habits and eating structures into my life. I also eat a WHOLE LOT healthier food than I used to eat.

And obviously the sleeve limits how much we can eat at a time. Initially, the limitations are severe (before our new sleeve has healed, but your capacity will increase a bit over the years to come. Believe you me, the volume we used to eat was completely not normal, given the lifestyles we all live these days. We aren't NFL linebackers, stevedores, or sumi wrestlers. And if you have friends who eat like that, you'll just have to be the one who shows them what "normal portions" really look like.

There are also many new behaviors to master -- eating slower, not drinking with meals, eating 3 meals a day, not grazing mindlessly between meals, building a life-long exercise program that works for you, and much more. It's not onerous -- it's just something that you have to do, like insulin-dependent diabetics have to do the rest of their life, only these activities don't involve drugs or the risk of comas.

I could go on and on. And I usually do. Instead, here's a good site where you can learn more about VSG surgery and what it will likely be like for you: https://asmbs.org/patients

You can also click on the links at the bottom of my signature block below to read my first three "surgiversary" posts, sharing how the previous year post-op went for me. You can see my 18-month weight loss records in my signature block below.

Best wishes for your education, your consideration, and your decision about WLS. This is something you really DO need to understand very well before you decide to do it. Being successful requires that you're motivated and committed to your long-term success. Lots of people are successful long-term after WLS. The odds are 50-50 you will be one of those successful people. And you can increase those odds considerably by your own efforts.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Your medical problems sound so much scarier than sleeve surgery. OMG, a heart attack at 25? Like someone said, your chances of dying by doing nothing are way higher than your chances of something going wrong with this surgery. People get off their diabetes meds almost right away. People ditch their cpap machines. Their blood pressure returns to normal. If you want to live a long, healthy life, then I would say this surgery is for you. Do you have kids? Do you want to be around to see them grow up? If the answer is yes, surgery seems to be a no-brainer.

Keep up the research, but in my book the sleeve surgery is nothing short of a miracle. A life-saving miracle. Best of luck with your decision, and welcome!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

K,

I sent you a PM

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The sleeve is not so scary compared to what you have going on medically. Your blood pressure my love. I can tell you that I had high blood pressure as well. I am proud to say I am currently at a normal blood pressure with no medications!!! WOOOHOO!! I was 43 when I was sleeved. I am now 44. Happier and healthier than I have been in a really long time. I started at a 41.8 BMI and now have a 21.8 BMI just 13 months later. I have a ton of blogs that chronicle my journey on my page. I think the overwhelming consensus on here regarding regrets is waiting so long to make the decision to be sleeved. Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger.