12/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    02-18-2018 01:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Any (newly quit) smokers out there?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the site, but I've been poking around the forums a bit. This seems like a really positive group. I get sleeved in Tijuana on 12/14 with Dr. Cabrera, fly out the day before. I'm pretty busy right now with grad school applications and finals week, etc., and travel preparations should keep me busy up until the flight.

Honestly, more than the pre-op diet, what's killing me is quitting smoking. I mean, I quit 30 days before my surgery date, but I'm still having killer cravings. I think it's probably just finals stress and being forced to stick with my old routine (sans smoking) so that I can make it through finals hell, but does the craving ever go away? I feel like I should be utilizing my time in more productive ways than complaining about smoking, or that my worries should center around more important things.

I would love to hear your thoughts,
    Betsy

HW: 322
    SW (12/14/17):306 (-16)
    Month 1: 290 (-16)
    Month 2: 279 (-11)

2. The following 20 users said welcome vivalabetsy to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any (newly quit) smokers out there?

Hi Betsy,
    Ex smoker here from a long time ago. I think these questions are really interesting on a forum as a lot of answers are 'don't smoke it's bad for you etc etc'. You know it's bad, you know all the stuff. I used to smoke back when I was in nursing school like 23 years ago, we all did, sitting on the steps of the nursing home drinking black coffee and heaps of cigs! It was totally our diet! And finals meant we were smoking ourselves to death!!!
    Times have really changed with smoking and it's not such a bad thing, banning it from public places etc has had a positive effect on people giving up.
    It's hard because it's addiction and anyone with any kind of addiction should have some compassion around this.
    Interestingly there are some studies going on at the moment in Australia around vaping. They are actually running a study at my partners medical practice as they have found that vaping has been an excellent way to help people move away from cigarettes and in some cases give up. They use nicotine vape and start on fairly high levels as thats what the evidence suggests prevents relapse. There has been some opposition to vapng around the world as they say there is no evidence for long term effects, but the public health peeps in England have said that it is 95% safer than smoking even with nicotine vape. Anyway there is a lot of study going on into it.

The issue with vaping with nicotine is that it constricts the blood vessels to the stomach which may cause delays in healing. But you can also get non nicotine vape juice.
    Now I'm not suggesting that you start vaping if you are doing okay having given up, but it might be a thought if you are thinking you might have a relapse. The other treatment is champix. This doesn't suit everyone, especially if someone has mental health issues or anxiety, but it works a treat for some people.

There are so many suggestions on how to give up and they are all worth consideration. One thing i would say is to approach a smoking cessation organisation or visit your doctor to discuss it. I think there is so much shame around it so people don't often get the help they need because they feel bad.I think we absolutely need to help anyone with addiction and not judge.

You absolutely can continue to be a non smoker and I do hope that you reach out for all the help and support you can get. It's a very hard thing to do and i congratulate you for how well you have done so far. You should be proud. And you should also be proud to admit you are struggling. You can do it. You might have some ups and downs and relapses but you just keep trying. You are so worth a whole new healthy life. Best of luck and go see the experts, they are there to help you. No shame. :-)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member vivalabetsy's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    02-18-2018 01:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I considered getting a vape with no-nicotine juice, but I've heard mixed opinions on that so I decided against it. Unfortunately, I decided to quit cold turkey, and now it's too late to wean myself off.

I think I'll be fine. I don't foresee myself slipping up at this point, and I made myself look at pictures of the worst side effects to further boost my resolve. I'm actually more worried about picking the habit back up after surgery, since the surgery is the only reason I am still cigarette-free. Well, maybe not the only reason, but smoking would be a lot more convenient to pick back up when I'm not worried about healing complications.

I think you're right. I'll at least talk to my counselor. I was going to wait until after finals and the surgery, but it might be better to have the resources already in place for when I need them most. Thank you.

HW: 322
    SW (12/14/17):306 (-16)
    Month 1: 290 (-16)
    Month 2: 279 (-11)

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yea, get on it now Betsy, get all the support :-) And good luck for your surgery, you'll be fine :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I read that vape is not a good substitute. The only way to go is to quit. I was once a one-pack-a-day smoker of Marlboro Lights menthol and when I lost my voice for a month, I just willed myself to stop. Good luck to you though.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hoping your cravings go away!! I know that must be tough. Hang in there.