Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-14-2018 12:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hello

My procedure is scheduled 12/19 if anyone is going to be there at the same time. I was also curious if anyone has good suggestions on the brands and types of foods to buy for post-op ?? Thanks for info.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Hello

Goodluck with your surgery. You picked a great doctor. Dr Almanza will give you good information to follow including diet. You will be on liquids for the first 3 weeks. Protein shake I like is premier. The staff at the hotel are wonderful including the drivers. I’m always happy to answer any questions.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Obradovic
    Last Activity
    01-26-2018 09:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Welcome..we are surgery twins! My scheduled date is also December 19th. I am so excited. For the past 2 weeks I have been buying samples of protein shakes, drinks, powders that I try to see if I like. So far I have tried Premier Protein shakes and Muscle Milk which right now is so delicious to me. I have heard that some things I may like before the surgery...I may not like after the surgery. So just purchase enough to get through the first week...that way you won't waste too much money if your taste buds decided to change after the surgery. Also yesterday I just tried the Isopure clear drink. It tastes pretty good and the one I have has 40 grams of protein and only 160 calories in the whole bottle, so I will buy about a few more of those. I also went to Unjury.com and ordered their starter kit. It cost $22 and is well worth it. It came with 2 packets each of unflavored, strawberry, chocolate splendor and classic chocolate, vanilla, and chicken soup protein packets. It also came with 2 of their protein brownies, a thermometer and a shaker cup. My doctor is requiring me to do a 3 day liquid diet prior to the surgery. So since I received my Unjury products yesterday and I am off from work today, I decided to use today as a trial of what the 3 day liquid diet would be like. So far for breakfast I had a can of the Campbell's Chicken broth with a packet of the Unjury unflavored protein powder and it was delicious. I was actually unable to finish the broth and will save the rest for lunch. I tried the Swanson and Progressive brand chicken broth, but I dislike the smell and taste so Campbell is the one I can withstand right now. Also I will probably make some homemade chicken, beef, and vegetable broths and freeze them in 2 to 4 oz containers. Then when I need one, I can just heat it up, add some protein powder to it and away I go. I have been drinking Crystal Light and lemon water faithfully. My doctor also only has me on liquids post-op for the first week and week 2 encourages foods such as yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, unsweetened applesauce, plain or low sugar oatmeal. So each surgeon requirements are different. My surgeons office basically stresses higher protein and lower carbs...not no carbs but low carbs. The folks who lose the bulk of their weight early on after the surgery are those who limit their carb intake...which is understandable. I think right now my biggest struggle with this is trying to remember that I shouldn't eat and drink at the same time. We can bounce our journeys off of each other. I think having a good support system is so important, and who better than someone who is walking the same journey as you. Good luck and I hope to hear more from you!

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Carol
    Surgery date
    12/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr McKenzie, Mayo Clinic
    Last Activity
    12-06-2017 04:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there! My surgery is the day after yours, on the 20th and I'm counting the days! I am beyond excited and not one bit nervous! I'd love to know what protein drinks and powders you find. So far, my favorite is the stand by Premier. Its by far the best tasting. I also made a crock pot full of beef bone broth and froze it in individual portions. Its delicious and so nourishing. I'm planning on jello, crystal light, clear chicken bone broth and beef bone broth as well as lots of water for my first week. My surgery is at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Hope we can keep in touch.
    Carol

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Welcome! I'm a month ahead of you and I found the Bariwise brand of soups (you can order on Amazon) were a great break from the sweet shakes and have 15g of protein/cup.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish we were gonna be at the same place !!!

Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your advise. Greatly appreciated!!!

Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Omg so excited for the info from you !!! Really appreciate it !

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

For protein shakes I like the EAS Advant Edge Low Carb shakes. As for what I had that first week post op, I had creamed soups made with nonfat milk, broth, protein shakes, hot tea, and sugar free popsicles. You do not consume much that first 2 weeks post op. I would suggest not stocking up on anything. I know that my tastes changed drastically post op. Good luck on your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery.