Surgeon
    Dr Dietrick
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Vitamins

Hi all, getting closer to surgery Dec 13. Still looking for good vitamins. Nutritionist gave me a sheet with what vitamins and minerals I need with only 2 brands both were chalky tasting. Nothing unusual just bariactric VGS ones With ones I looked at it seemed that I would be taking between 6 and 10 chewables a day at many different times of day That seems complicated to me. Is that what everyone does?? I am hoping to find vitamins that can be taken morning and evening even if I'm taking multiples at that time. I would like chewables or sublingual Do I want the impossible??? I would think with so many people getting this surgery someone would have developed something consumer friendly. Thanks in advance

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perry
    Last Activity
    01-31-2023 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 113 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vitamins

My doctor suggested Bariatric Advantage Chewables. I take one Multivitamin in the morning and Night and one Calcium Citrate chewable in between both of those. I actually love the flavors and there is no chalky taste for me. The Calcium Citrate is more like a Starburst so that one goes down well also. I have also heard of people liking a brand called Barimelts. Have not tried them, but it sounds like they dissolve right away.

Hope that helps or gives you some good ideas.

HW: 408 lbs
    Pre-Op: 370.7 lbs-37.3 lbs
    DOS: 354.6 lbs-53.4 lbs
    2 Wk: 332.4 lbs-75.6 lbs
    1 Mo:323.6 - 83.4 lbs
    2 Mo:310.4 - 97.6 lbs
    3 Mo: 297.4 - 110.6 lbs
    4 Mo: 285 - 123 lbs
    5 Mo: 276 - 132 lbs
    6 Mo: 268 - 140 lbs
    7 Mo: 262 - 146 lbs
    8 Mo: 254 - 154 lbs
    9 Mo: 251 - 157 lbs
    10 Mo: 242 - 166 lbs
    11 Mo: 239 - 169 lbs
    1 Year: 239 -169 lbs

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree that the bariatric advantage ones weren't too terrible. That being said, as soon as I could take pills I switched to pills. I made the change around a month post op. Here is the info about vitamins from www.obesitycoverage.com
    Multivitamin with Minerals – You’ll want to use chewable vitamins or patches for the first month after surgery. Follow the directions. You may need to take one in the morning and one at night (depending on the brand).

Below are a few options for good bariatric multivitamins:
    •BariMelts
    •Bariatric Fusion

One company is now offering vitamin patches. These patches eliminate the need to swallow pills. Your new stomach/pouch no longer has to process fillers and capsules. Just place a patch on your skin for 8 hours a day and you’re done.

A decent option for a non-bariatric specific multivitamin is below:
    •Centrum Adult Daily Chewable – you can find this at your local pharmacy (Walgreens, etc.).

Iron – Iron may be recommended. It’s important to talk to your doctor and follow his or her recommednation.
    •Check with your surgeon when to start iron post-operatively.
    •Take on an empty stomach.
    •Ferrous Fumarate 29mg – NOT the more typical ferrous sulfate (ferrous sulfate is not absorbed well after bariatric surgery).
    •Do not take with your Calcium Citrate.

Calcium Citrate – Taken 3 times daily.
    •Begin 1 month after surgery.
    •Liquid or chewable form and should be taken in 500 mg doses with at least one hour in between doses.
    •Do NOT take Calcium at the same time as Iron.
    •Wait at least 2 hours between taking your multivitamin/iron and your calcium.
    •1500 to 2000 mg daily.

Vitamin B12 – May be recommended. Check with your doctor.
    •Typically taken once per week.
    •5000 to 7500 mcg.
    •Available in sublingual (under the tongue), injection, or nasal spray.
    •Should NOT be taken in pill form after surgery.

Protein Supplements

Protein is important after gastric sleeve surgery. It’s recommended that you get at least 60 grams of protein per day after surgery. You can opt for protein supplements from Wal-Mart or other retailers. However, most physicians prefer a bariatric specific protein supplement. Below are some common options for bariatric protein supplements.
    •Genepro
    •Bariatric Fusion
    •Unjury

These can be purchased from bariatric supplement online stores, like the Baritastic Store.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I took the bariatric Building Blocks chewable calcium citrate twice a day online. I liked the orange flavor. And I couldn't take them at the same time as my multi-vitamin.

For my multi-vitamin I take (after 4 years!) Pro-Care Health Bariatric Multivitamins once a day which come in chewable for early on and capsules for later. You can order them online or they sell them at our local HyVee. Then I also take a D.

So my routine is 3 times a day, twice with calcium citrate and once with the multi-vitamin plus the D.

My nutritionist insists on the bariatric rather than over-the-counter vitamins. So I still take them.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I take a chewable iron pill that isn't too chalky, a Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate in a chocolate peanut butter flavor, and Earthwater chewable multivitamins that I swear taste like Starburst. I was on a b12 chewable and biotin as well, but my b12 levels are through the roof so no more of those, and I stopped needing the biotin eventually.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

One of the options my Team gave me, and I chose to follow is:

Celebrate multi complex chewable, am and pm
    Celebrate calcium chewable, lunch and after work

That's it, that's all. The multicomplex contains iron. You MAY want to add extra B12 depending on how you feel, but the B complexes are all in there as well. Around 40 dollars a month but there will be calcium left over to start the next month.

You can order on the celebrate site but I ordered from Amazon. Site is: https://www.celebratevitamins.com/

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lcajnike View Post
    I would be taking between 6 and 10 chewables a day at many different times of day That seems complicated to me. Is that what everyone does??
    I take a regular Centrum complete multivitamin. Although these come in chewable form, I simply take the regular one that needs to be swallowed.

All of my supplements (calcium citrate, vitamin B12, etc.) are over-the-counter varieties. My nutritional blood work is perfect.

Even though my bariatric program warns against taking over-the-counter vitamins, those of us with sleeves are not at great risk for deficiencies since our surgical tool doesn't have a malabsorbtive component.

Besides, I'd rather spend $8 monthly for OTC vitamins I can take once daily than five times that dollar amount for bariatric vitamins.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree that the OTC are fine - and that is one route my program recommended - they had the most expensive (Bariatric Advantage), then the moderate (Celebrate) and the less expensive (various OTCs). When I did my shopping online, though, I was going to pay around 36.00 a month for a multi, calcium citrate, and iron. It was easier for me to just go with one brand and total 4 pills per day. My program did have a list of exactly what you could buy, and the RD had made a shopping cart online just for people to go in and get the list from Walmart as to exactly what to buy and how much it would cost. The only thing I was bummed about was that I wanted to order my vitamins on that continuous shipment thing they have now on Amazon where you get your order autoshipped monthly, but only certain items are available. There are tons of places to get them from - Walgreens and CVS where I am usually have sales every month or so that are buy one get one free as well. The big thing is getting and TAKING them haha.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Gastric Sleeve Member robert81650's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/08/2017
    Surgeon
    John Touliatos
    Last Activity
    12-19-2017 09:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Your are doing great...using the same vitamins and they are great..........

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I made a list of all the vitamins & minerals I needed (there are lists online) and then figured out which vitamins had the most included. Now that swallowing isn't a problem, I take ProCare Health Bariatric Vitamins because I can take 1/day and it includes high levels of B-12, Biotin, D & Iron. I also chew 2 Calcium Citrates. That's it. First month I had some awful chewables but then had to add B-12, D & Iron. The one/day are expensive but less than taking all the extras. I'm also take some chewable probiotics now. Wasn't allowed to take them for the month post surgery but used them before and now and think they help maintain gut health.

BTW, I was also told that it isn't the highest priority to take vitamins the first couple of weeks post surgery. You're dealing with enough. Just get as much water and protein in as you can but don't stress if you can't get all the vitamins right away.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ItsMyTurn's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/16/2018
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

" the RD had made a shopping cart online just for people to go in and get the list from Walmart as to exactly what to buy and how much it would cost."
    Hi simplyseahorse,
    Are you able to share that list that your RD created? I am scheduled for surgery THIS TUESDAY 1/16/18 and have been researching everything that I'll need like crazy. Your RDs list sounds interesting.
    Thanks!

Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Blog Entries

Shoot - I have my book at home, and I am at work just seeing this. I will try to remember it tomorrow so that I can scan it in to the computer. Yes, she did a nice job of listing out all of the vitamins. I have heard too that the first couple of weeks you need to concentrate on the water and protein - so don't stress yourself if you don't have everything figured out for the day you come home from the hospital.

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I agree that the bariatric advantage ones weren't too terrible. That being said, as soon as I could take pills I switched to pills. I made the change around a month post op. Here is the info about vitamins from www.obesitycoverage.com
    Multivitamin with Minerals – You’ll want to use chewable vitamins or patches for the first month after surgery. Follow the directions. You may need to take one in the morning and one at night (depending on the brand).

Below are a few options for good bariatric multivitamins:
    •BariMelts
    •Bariatric Fusion

One company is now offering vitamin patches. These patches eliminate the need to swallow pills. Your new stomach/pouch no longer has to process fillers and capsules. Just place a patch on your skin for 8 hours a day and you’re done.

A decent option for a non-bariatric specific multivitamin is below:
    •Centrum Adult Daily Chewable – you can find this at your local pharmacy (Walgreens, etc.).

Iron – Iron may be recommended. It’s important to talk to your doctor and follow his or her recommednation.
    •Check with your surgeon when to start iron post-operatively.
    •Take on an empty stomach.
    •Ferrous Fumarate 29mg – NOT the more typical ferrous sulfate (ferrous sulfate is not absorbed well after bariatric surgery).
    •Do not take with your Calcium Citrate.

Calcium Citrate – Taken 3 times daily.
    •Begin 1 month after surgery.
    •Liquid or chewable form and should be taken in 500 mg doses with at least one hour in between doses.
    •Do NOT take Calcium at the same time as Iron.
    •Wait at least 2 hours between taking your multivitamin/iron and your calcium.
    •1500 to 2000 mg daily.

Vitamin B12 – May be recommended. Check with your doctor.
    •Typically taken once per week.
    •5000 to 7500 mcg.
    •Available in sublingual (under the tongue), injection, or nasal spray.
    •Should NOT be taken in pill form after surgery.

Protein Supplements

Protein is important after gastric sleeve surgery. It’s recommended that you get at least 60 grams of protein per day after surgery. You can opt for protein supplements from Wal-Mart or other retailers. However, most physicians prefer a bariatric specific protein supplement. Below are some common options for bariatric protein supplements.
    •Genepro
    •Bariatric Fusion
    •Unjury

These can be purchased from bariatric supplement online stores, like the Baritastic Store.

Christie: Are you still taking this amount of vitamins? I've been MIA for awhile and am BACK ... almost 60 pounds lighter LOL Needing some inspiration to stay the course.