Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Calories and shamoz...

HALLO!
    I know some of you don't count calories or track and just do protein and liquid which sounds alright. I have been tracking on MFP though just out of interest and just because it has been pretty simple so far (I don't know if this may get more tiresome later).
    I seem to have gone from 300 ish calories in the early days to around 698 now at 4 weeks out. a large portion of those calories are my 2 protein shakes a day, other than that it's been lentils, refried beans, eggs, tuna. Last night I did make an amazing dhal though which was exciting! I'm still only getting in a tablespoon or 2 of food though which sounds fairly normal at this stage. How great is the feeling of fullness... omg... liberation.

I guess my question is, what kind of calorie count (if you were taking notice of that) would you be aiming for at different stages? I feel like it's a good idea to get it up to a reasonable level by a certain stage. Like I guess I don't think it's a great idea to be down on 800 or something for ages. Just metabolically and stuff, it seems a good idea to get it up. I'm kinda rambling but do you get what i mean?
    I think Ann2 has talked about this before so i'm hoping she will chip in here.

i think the protein is super important so I've been getting 70 to 90 grams a day and that seems achievable. I don't really like relying on the shakes but I think it's hard to do much else at the moment when you can't fit much else in.
    I might be overthinking this, but this journey is totally about health for me, and i want to do the right thing! My dietitian doesn't seem concerned with calories at all but I don't know if long term it's an idea to think about that.

Interestingly too I'm not super keen on a diet mentality, I lost 40 kilos NOT on a diet, it was more just don't eat anything with a barcode on it. This works pretty well for me. I suppose being in a position now where I am at the very low calorie level has just made me consider it, maybe just for a while, and maybe it's something I never have to consider because I'm not eating the bar codes!!! Musings!
    Anyway your thoughts would be handy and helpful to me and maybe others.
    In other news... 4 weeks out tommorrow and each week gets better, still tired but I'm going with the flow.
    Hoping everyone is doing good too :-)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Calories and shamoz...

Edie (@Stacey03), I just asked the NUT because I started on regular food Friday. She said my 500-600 calories, plus 50-60 protein was okay and not to stress about it. My "ologists" (there are 7 of them) all say until I hit 800 calories daily, not to go back to the gymn, just household stuff, walking.

I was very relieved not to have to achieve a big number! I have found anything with too much olive oil (sauteed) is a bad choice right now. And no interest in sugar. But everything else has been easy to eat, if i eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. Otherwise, I froth.

I think Ann2 is 3 years out, and I don't know if she still logs in calories; I do, but I was also diabetic so just a habit.

You sound like you're doing well! Have you tried the bariatric recipe for refried bean soup? It's tasty.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Stacey, read my first surgiversary post ... link is in sig block below.

And Annie, yes, I still track on MFP. It’s my way of controlling things. I use MFP to plan as well as track, as in “Fail to plan = plan to fail.”

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Edie (@Stacey03), I just asked the NUT because I started on regular food Friday. She said my 500-600 calories, plus 50-60 protein was okay and not to stress about it. My "ologists" (there are 7 of them) all say until I hit 800 calories daily, not to go back to the gymn, just household stuff, walking.

I was very relieved not to have to achieve a big number! I have found anything with too much olive oil (sauteed) is a bad choice right now. And no interest in sugar. But everything else has been easy to eat, if i eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. Otherwise, I froth.

I think Ann2 is 3 years out, and I don't know if she still logs in calories; I do, but I was also diabetic so just a habit.

You sound like you're doing well! Have you tried the bariatric recipe for refried bean soup? It's tasty.
    Oh thanks Annie, that's really useful info. I don't know the refried bean soup but sounds tasty!
    PS.... YOU ARE JUST LOOKING STUNNING!!!! CHECK OUT YOUR NEW PHOTO!!!!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Stacey, read my first surgiversary post ... link is in sig block below.

And Annie, yes, I still track on MFP. It’s my way of controlling things. I use MFP to plan as well as track, as in “Fail to plan = plan to fail.”
    Thanks ANN, Will do :-)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 6.5 months out and I also track with mfp. Have been ever since my first meeting with my nut. Like Ann2 I feel that I need to for my own accountability.

I stopped the protien shakes 2 weeks after surgery. My system did not like them. But I did really well with just getting in my protien through chicken. I did talk to my nut about it because of my allergy to dairy and animal protien absorbs better than plant anyway so she said it was fine.

Now I get at least 100 grams of protien in a day. 80+ of that is from meat (mostly chicken) the rest is from soy milk I have with my chia tea 3x a day. I use teabags as to not add ingredients I don't want. I love my tea! As an added plus it is extra fluid.

As for my caloric intake is pretty steady at 1100 a day but can range from 950 to 1450. All depends on the type of protien I eat that day. I literally live on chicken and tuna. Hope this helps.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon Crosby
    Surgery date
    09/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Arnold
    Last Activity
    09-16-2018 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    i think the protein is super important so I've been getting 70 to 90 grams a day and that seems achievable. I don't really like relying on the shakes but I think it's hard to do much else at the moment when you can't fit much else in. I might be overthinking this, but this journey is totally about health for me, and i want to do the right thing! My dietitian doesn't seem concerned with calories at all but I don't know if long term it's an idea to think about that.
    Hello Edie (Stacey03).

I don't think you are overthinking things. This journey is all about good health. Becoming thin is a byproduct of this process. But obtaining and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is paramount.

Protein is (for me) the most important thing. The first instructions I received post-op were stay hydrated and then get your protein in. A tall order considering how little one is able to consume within the first two months after having undergone surgery. Much like yourself, I don't like to rely on shakes either, however, taking into account the small quantity of food I am able to consume at 10 weeks, it would seem that my options are somewhat limited. That is not to say that this is the case for everyone, however, this where I currently reside in post-op life.

(This is not advice, rather what currently works for me) I do not count calories as of yet, primarily because of the small amount I am able to consume. I know, I probably should. And in the beginning, I did. But I quickly realized that the calorie count was so small that it seemed impossible to come close to what I should have been consuming. My thoughts are to revisit calorie counting at twelve weeks to see where I stand, and then continue on from there.

Hang in there. You will be just fine.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Have you tried the bariatric recipe for refried bean soup? It's tasty.
    Where can I find this recipe?
    Sounds jummy...

I also use mfp.
    The first six months just to track my protein intake, but the calories were a useful benefit.
    After 11 months and in maintenance it's the other way around.
    I focus on my calories, my protein intake is always sufficient now.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Thanks, Stacey/Edie, for the questions. I'm just behind you and I'm eating about 500-600 calories/day and 60-80g of protein. I'm able to eat about 4oz at a meal (which worries me a bit since that seems like more than you and others at this point). I'm tracking on MFP bc it helps me keep an eye on sodium, carbs, etc. I've been making lentil dishes and adding in chicken (all pureed at this point) or eating salmon, scallops & tuna (mashed). I also made turkey chili for the family and pureed a little dish for me. I'm feeling confused about calories, too. I'm not losing very rapidly but I'm hesitant to try to eat more at this point.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I learned to listen to my body. It was all about being intuitive for me. I never counted anything. Still don't. Whenever my weight loss stalled, it was always a sign I needed to take in more calories. So I would eat more and it always worked for me. I looked at the list of foods from my NUT and focused on her traffic light system. Ate that way and let the whole process be simplistic. It worked for me because I hate to track my foods. But that is me and I am lazy with those things. I love to exercise, though.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys, Lots of useful info. it's all a learning process isn't it?! xx

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    Thanks, Stacey/Edie, for the questions. I'm just behind you and I'm eating about 500-600 calories/day and 60-80g of protein. I'm able to eat about 4oz at a meal (which worries me a bit since that seems like more than you and others at this point). I'm tracking on MFP bc it helps me keep an eye on sodium, carbs, etc. I've been making lentil dishes and adding in chicken (all pureed at this point) or eating salmon, scallops & tuna (mashed). I also made turkey chili for the family and pureed a little dish for me. I'm feeling confused about calories, too. I'm not losing very rapidly but I'm hesitant to try to eat more at this point.
    I'm not losing much at the moment either Dale, it's the stall time! We just have to keep going and you know what Christie says about needing to eat more if stalling. You need enough calories to lose but it does seem confusing sometimes. once we are out of this stall I am sure we will feel differently xx

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG View Post
    Hello Edie (Stacey03).

I don't think you are overthinking things. This journey is all about good health. Becoming thin is a byproduct of this process. But obtaining and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is paramount.

Protein is (for me) the most important thing. The first instructions I received post-op were stay hydrated and then get your protein in. A tall order considering how little one is able to consume within the first two months after having undergone surgery. Much like yourself, I don't like to rely on shakes either, however, taking into account the small quantity of food I am able to consume at 10 weeks, it would seem that my options are somewhat limited. That is not to say that this is the case for everyone, however, this where I currently reside in post-op life.

(This is not advice, rather what currently works for me) I do not count calories as of yet, primarily because of the small amount I am able to consume. I know, I probably should. And in the beginning, I did. But I quickly realized that the calorie count was so small that it seemed impossible to come close to what I should have been consuming. My thoughts are to revisit calorie counting at twelve weeks to see where I stand, and then continue on from there.

Hang in there. You will be just fine.
    That does make sense shannon to wait till 12 weeks.. I mean gosh we arn't eating much at the moment eh! Hope you are feeling better now :-)

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luv49ers19 View Post
    I'm 6.5 months out and I also track with mfp. Have been ever since my first meeting with my nut. Like Ann2 I feel that I need to for my own accountability.

I stopped the protien shakes 2 weeks after surgery. My system did not like them. But I did really well with just getting in my protien through chicken. I did talk to my nut about it because of my allergy to dairy and animal protien absorbs better than plant anyway so she said it was fine.

Now I get at least 100 grams of protien in a day. 80+ of that is from meat (mostly chicken) the rest is from soy milk I have with my chia tea 3x a day. I use teabags as to not add ingredients I don't want. I love my tea! As an added plus it is extra fluid.

As for my caloric intake is pretty steady at 1100 a day but can range from 950 to 1450. All depends on the type of protien I eat that day. I literally live on chicken and tuna. Hope this helps.
    I seem to be living on chicken and tuna too lol!! Thanks Cody x

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Where can I find this recipe?
    Sounds jummy...

I also use mfp.
    The first six months just to track my protein intake, but the calories were a useful benefit.
    After 11 months and in maintenance it's the other way around.
    I focus on my calories, my protein intake is always sufficient now.
    Yes I quite like MFP :-)