Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Nuts?

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Am I Nuts?

I have decided to join Weight Watchers to get off these crazy glued to me for almost a year 5 pounds over goal. I was a lifetime member back in the 90's when I lost all my weight with phen-phen (I'm sure you know the rest of the story there), so would only have to pay until I lose 5 pounds, and then could weigh monthly for free.

Somehow standing on that scale every week I think will make me take this more seriously than my own scale. And when I read about their plan, it sounds like they now stress high protein, low carbs, like we should eat. Plus they make you track, which I need to do. Not to mention the place is a mile from my house.

Has anyone done this? If it were 3 years ago I would have told someone they were insane to do this.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I Nuts?

If you feel that you need that, go for it!
    Whatever suits you best.
    Maybe after a couple of weeks you find that routine again of tracking and monitoring your food intake.
    Plus the weighing in front of a leader may give you that extra sense of responsibility.
    I don't know about the nutty part , but it seems to me that you do what you have to, in order to take good care of yourself!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, I feel it's batshit crazy to rejoin Weight Watchers.

Since you were a daily runner until recently, I'll bet top dollar those 5 additional pounds are not from fat, but from lower body muscle in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves.

I had a regain of 9 pounds over the past year. However, per the results of my hydrostatic body fat test, I actually lost 1 pound of body fat, gained 8 pounds of muscle, and gained 2 pounds of water.

Therefore, my weight regain was all good. I didn't gain any fat.

Your weight regain might be the good kind, but the only way to know is to either get a hydrostatic (water displacement) body fat test or a DEXA scan.

In essence, you'd be better off spending your money on body fat testing rather than wasting it on Weight Watchers, a company that profits off peoples' failures.

In addition, if your clothes still fit the same as when you weighed 140 pounds, I wouldn't worry.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I have decided to join Weight Watchers to get off these crazy glued to me for almost a year 5 pounds over goal. I was a lifetime member back in the 90's when I lost all my weight with phen-phen (I'm sure you know the rest of the story there), so would only have to pay until I lose 5 pounds, and then could weigh monthly for free.

Somehow standing on that scale every week I think will make me take this more seriously than my own scale. And when I read about their plan, it sounds like they now stress high protein, low carbs, like we should eat. Plus they make you track, which I need to do. Not to mention the place is a mile from my house.

Has anyone done this? If it were 3 years ago I would have told someone they were insane to do this.
    No, I have been thinking about doing the same thing! Let me know how it goes please!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    Yes, I feel it's batshit crazy to rejoin Weight Watchers.

Since you were a daily runner until recently, I'll bet top dollar those 5 additional pounds are not from fat, but from lower body muscle in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves.

I had a regain of 9 pounds over the past year. However, per the results of my hydrostatic body fat test, I actually lost 1 pound of body fat, gained 8 pounds of muscle, and gained 2 pounds of water.

Therefore, my weight regain was all good. I didn't gain any fat.

Your weight regain might be the good kind, but the only way to know is to either get a hydrostatic (water displacement) body fat test or a DEXA scan.

In essence, you'd be better off spending your money on body fat testing rather than wasting it on Weight Watchers, a company that profits off peoples' failures.

In addition, if your clothes still fit the same as when you weighed 140 pounds, I wouldn't worry.
    My pants are tight!! And I refuse to buy new pants. I appreciate your honest response.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa73me View Post
    No, I have been thinking about doing the same thing! Let me know how it goes please!
    It's pretty cool, I can track any food online, even take a photo of the bar code. It is basically how we are supposed to be eating, so something high in protein without the sugar and fat is very low in points. Like my Premier Protein shake is only 2 points. And my low-fat bumble tuna pack with crackers is only 2 points. But then I had an oatmeal at the coffee shop today which was 11 points (obviously from the sugar) so I won't be eating that again. And the Bang Bang shrimp I love at Bonefish is 25 points!! Obviously I can't eat it all, but I'm already learning a lot. Also surprised to learn my low-fat greek yogurt was 3 points, again must be the sugar. I'd eat the yogurt and just count the protein. So I have been making some poor choices and this should open my eyes.

I need to start tracking so this will get me into it. 4 years and I have never tracked anything except protein and liquids. Not to mention I get to go attend for free after I lose 5 pounds, which shouldn't take long.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

It's pretty cool, I can track any food online, even take a photo of the bar code. It is basically how we are supposed to be eating, so something high in protein without the sugar and fat is very low in points. Like my Premier Protein shake is only 2 points. And my low-fat bumble tuna pack with crackers is only 2 points. But then I had an oatmeal at the coffee shop today which was 11 points (obviously from the sugar) so I won't be eating that again. And the Bang Bang shrimp I love at Bonefish is 25 points!! Obviously I can't eat it all, but I'm already learning a lot. Also surprised to learn my low-fat greek yogurt was 3 points, again must be the sugar. I'd eat the yogurt and just count the protein. So I have been making some poor choices and this should open my eyes.

I need to start tracking so this will get me into it. 4 years and I have never tracked anything except protein and liquids. Not to mention I get to go attend for free after I lose 5 pounds, which shouldn't take long.
    Have you used MyFitnessPal in the past? If so, does this seem easier/more informative?

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    Have you used MyFitnessPal in the past? If so, does this seem easier/more informative?
    Never tried that. This one has practically every restaurant listed with everything they serve, along with taking a photo of the bar code of anything packaged to get points. Plus a calculator where if you can't find something you fill in the information (protein, sugar,carbs, etc) and it figures it out for you. Seems pretty cool. But I'm really new to this, you guys probably have free stuff to do the same thing.

13. Said thanks:

DHB

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

No, I don't think you're nuts.

People skin this maintenance cat in a number of different ways.

If WW doesn't work for you, then, hey, you'll know not to keep doing it and will try something else.

I have ZERO worries that you are going to let your new lifestyle fall by the wayside. Just fine-tune what you're doing ANY WAY you want to try.

Best wishes!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The yogurt does not surprise me one bit. When I was first sleeved and looking at yogurts I was surprised by how high in sugar most of them were. (Between 30-40 grams!!!) I have the Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt and it was the lowest I found with 7 g sugar. I don't get much sugar so this is one that I am ok with.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think you are nuts. I think weighing publically does hold one accountable. Some people need that.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I think drive your own bus and do what you want to do. I don't think it's a bad idea to track. I wondered about this a lot at the start but I have been doing it, of course at the moment it's super simple, as I'm not eating much. I may get tired of doing it a bit later when I'm eating more but I'm going to keep going and see how it goes.
    I went to weight watchers back in my early 20s and had heaps of fun. I made loads of friends in the group I was in and this is hilarious, but we used to go for fish and chips after the meeting once a week and then be really good all week!!!! Of course we lost weight because we were young!!! Then we put it all back on again! But for the social aspect it was heaps of fun :-)

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Not nuts for certain! I use LiveStrong MyPlate which tracks everything except poo (seriously). Having had diabetes & celiac my whole life, I am used to watching (and figuring out) how things affect me.

The thing about WW, you have some "accountability" beyond the scales, tight clothes or the mirror. And friends/buddies to talk to. The support component in any life change is so important to human beings! I know you have all of us but its not the same as a "real time" friend.

You are an amazing help to everyone here. Hope your friend with the cancer is doing okay. Be at peace with whatever you decide
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

22. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Not nuts for certain! I use LiveStrong MyPlate which tracks everything except poo (seriously). Having had diabetes & celiac my whole life, I am used to watching (and figuring out) how things affect me.

The thing about WW, you have some "accountability" beyond the scales, tight clothes or the mirror. And friends/buddies to talk to. The support component in any life change is so important to human beings! I know you have all of us but its not the same as a "real time" friend.

You are an amazing help to everyone here. Hope your friend with the cancer is doing okay. Be at peace with whatever you decide
    Thanks Annie, my friend I'm subbing for got a great report, cancer free! I guess they caught it very early, stage 1. No need for chemo or radiation. She will be back to work when her 6 weeks are over, next week Wednesday. Then I return to retirement.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Great news, sraebaer!

Congrats to her. And to you (you can go home soon).

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89