Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Sad news - no running!

So I've been having sore knees lately, especially while running, biking, or climbing stairs. Finally saw the doctor who said the bones are getting closer together. (Probably because of lots of use, my age (60), and arthritis.)

First he said a regiment of ibuprofen. I mentioned my sleeve and he said well that won't work. I got a steroid injection in both knees that he said should really help. No mention of knee replacement or anything that's good news.

But he did say no running as it's too hard on my knees. Said I could do anything else. (If he had said no mountain climbing or skiing I may have just died.). This is the second doctor who has told me this, when I recovered from my broken neck and asked my neurosurgeon if I could run he said, "Sure, but why would you want to? It's bad on your joints."

So I will listen, now that I even have a second opinion. But it makes me sad, as running made me feel great, and really helped keep the weight off.

Today at school I will be walking quite gingerly. They said I should be good to get back to my exercise routine in 2 or 3 days.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sad news - no running!

Oh that's a shame. I'm sorry about that, but at least you have your hiking!!!! Hurrah for that. Plus an opportunitity to try some other exercise. Have you ever tried hot yoga? :-)

Name
    Chris Linville
    Surgery date
    09/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-23-2018 03:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Take care of yourself. Try an elliptical. I know I have a lot of back issues and using the elliptical has help me with getting my cardio in.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Sorry to Here about your knee. I have a knee that will have to be replaced. Doctor wants to wait till I’m 50, so I get steroid injections and take Voltaren. I also were a soft brace when I exercise. Those things including weightloss & strengthening my knee muscles have made a huge difference. Since you like mountain climbing/hiking you should look into joining some hiking outdoor adventure groups. Hopefully in your area there are some. There are lots were I live. I went on the internet and did a search and had them pop up and learned also a place people advertise/sign there group is through meetup. I joined a few different ones, I hike 4-5 days a week. Hiking has helped me loose weight.know that it’s winter we will be doing a lot of snow shoeing. I’d like to do some cross country and down hill skiing, however I find skiing bothers my knee or at least it did before I lost weight. I also have a club membership at the rec. center. I found the elliptical and bicycle very easy on my knees. I also like water aerobics, just need to make sure your not to shallow. If I do certain exercise it hurts my knees if to shallow. Hope you knees feel better soon and can find right combination.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry, sraebaer. I know how much you love running.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member BlueUmbrella's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Surgery date
    10/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Holover
    Last Activity
    01-20-2023 12:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

That sucks
    My brother is in dire need of a knee replacement after a very bad soccer injury so I'm familiar with how tough some sports are on your bones. I hope you can find swimming or something else that you love just as much.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    So I've been having sore knees lately, especially while running, biking, or climbing stairs. Finally saw the doctor who said the bones are getting closer together. (Probably because of lots of use, my age (60), and arthritis.)

First he said a regiment of ibuprofen. I mentioned my sleeve and he said well that won't work. I got a steroid injection in both knees that he said should really help. No mention of knee replacement anything that's good news.

But he did say no running as it's too hard on my knees. Said I could do anything else. (If he had said no mountain climbing or skiing I may have just died.). This is the second doctor who has told me this, when I recovered from my broken neck and asked my neurosurgeon if I could run he said, "Sure, but why would you want to? It's bad on your joints."

So I will listen, now that I even have a second opinion. But it makes me sad, as running made me feel great, and really helped keep the weight off.

Today at school I will be walking quite gingerly. They said I should be good to get back to my exercise routine in 2 or 3 days.
    I know you said this was a second opinion, but, does this doctor run? Finding a doctor that understands your need to run (because they have a similar need) may result in a different approach in treatment with the goal of getting you running again.

I would have a mental breakdown and need to be institutionalized if I was told that I couldn't run......
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Oh that's a shame. I'm sorry about that, but at least you have your hiking!!!! Hurrah for that. Plus an opportunitity to try some other exercise. Have you ever tried hot yoga? :-)
    I do want to try yoga. Tried it once at my gym and had no clue what they were doing. (At least the lights were off so no one could see how silly I looked.)
    So I need some sort of beginner yoga to learn the names and how to do the positions.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Gvn71 View Post
    I know you said this was a second opinion, but, does this doctor run? Finding a doctor that understands your need to run (because they have a similar need) may result in a different approach in treatment with the goal of getting you running again.

I would have a mental breakdown and need to be institutionalized if I was told that I couldn't run......
    His speciality is sports medicine, and he sure looks like he runs. Gorgeous young guy. We have great friends that have been running their entire lives, win every marathon for their over 60 age group, and have run marathons in every state. So they've always been skinny and always ran. Probably have great knees. Being huge for years I'm sure damaged my knees, along with arthritis that comes with my age. I've also torn the ACL in both knees, but not to the extent that needed surgery. I am happy to hike, ski, bike, and maybe even try some new stuff. I am so active I want my knees working for many more years! If not running keeps my knees healthy, I'll go for it.

Hey, I just bought a season pass for Copper Mountain, so I need my knees to ski! (Last year I had to watch everyone in a neck brace which was totally unfun.)

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Sorry to Here about your knee. I have a knee that will have to be replaced. Doctor wants to wait till I’m 50, so I get steroid injections and take Voltaren. I also were a soft brace when I exercise. Those things including weightloss & strengthening my knee muscles have made a huge difference. Since you like mountain climbing/hiking you should look into joining some hiking outdoor adventure groups. Hopefully in your area there are some. There are lots were I live. I went on the internet and did a search and had them pop up and learned also a place people advertise/sign there group is through meetup. I joined a few different ones, I hike 4-5 days a week. Hiking has helped me loose weight.know that it’s winter we will be doing a lot of snow shoeing. I’d like to do some cross country and down hill skiing, however I find skiing bothers my knee or at least it did before I lost weight. I also have a club membership at the rec. center. I found the elliptical and bicycle very easy on my knees. I also like water aerobics, just need to make sure your not to shallow. If I do certain exercise it hurts my knees if to shallow. Hope you knees feel better soon and can find right combination.
    Any specific exercises you have for strengthening knee muscles? I will try water aerobics when my long-term sub job ends as those classes are during the day. (I guess for old retired people. With bad knees.)

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do want to try yoga. Tried it once at my gym and had no clue what they were doing. (At least the lights were off so no one could see how silly I looked.)
    So I need some sort of beginner yoga to learn the names and how to do the positions.
    There is no judgement in yoga! I really rate it though I only do the odd hot bikram class these days. Give it a try, before you know it you will know all the positions and be a regular yogi :-)
    It is a shame about the running but I wonder if i will end up with the same issues one day. I've spent a lot of time running with too much weight on me and I still have trouble from a pes anuris bursitis in my knee and had a few MRIs for that. Hopefully it will keep me going a good few more years, and I don't only run so I wouldn't be bereft if I had to give it up one day. You've got a variety of fitness persuits to keep you going :-)

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

sraebaer, I was born with crappy knees. I've also had injuries of various kinds (basketball, skiing) and, like you, was heavy most of my life. I have also hiked and trekked and backpacked a lot of my cartilage away. And I'm even OLDER than you! So unless I buy some new knees (which is always a possibility, especially now that I'm actually in great shape to rehabilitate after knee surgery) I won't ever be out there running again (which I did in my 20s and 30s).

But now I do yoga and love it! I do two classes a week (75 minutes per class) and have been a devoted student for the last 1.5 years. Most of my classmates are in their 50s, 60s and 70s. Our teacher is 68 years old and an amazing teacher; she's been teaching for 35 years. In addition to the twice-a-week classes, I do yoga at home a couple more times a week. I'd like to build up to 5-6 days a week, and some weeks I actually make that goal. My whole body is so much stronger, my flexibility is awesome, and (can't exactly explain why this is) I no longer have a hair-trigger reaction to things that used to set me off like a rocket. Oooommm!

I also take aquarobics classes 3 days a week (one hour long), which has boosted my upper body strength in my arms, shoulders and back. We use styrofoam "weights" for resistance underwater (they're astonishingly "heavy" in the ways we use them). The socialization benefits from both classes are also great, which retired folks (like me) are often missing since we don't spend time around nearly as many other human beings as we once did.

I also walk -- an hour most Saturdays and Sundays over hill and dale here on our property or in town. And I walk with some other yoga folks half an hour after class.

I think you could make all those activities and classes (or others you like better) work for you. I do know you'll miss your running, and I do sympathize.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Smile Re: Sad news - no running!

Any specific exercises you have for strengthening knee muscles? I will try water aerobics when my long-term sub job ends as those classes are during the day. (I guess for old retired people. With bad knees.)
    When I’m not so sick I’ll get my P.T. Papers out and send you pictures so you can see the exercises with instructions. I didn’t realize you live in the NW. I used to ski at Mt Hood all the time. Cooper Spur not that far from me either. We should plan to meet sometime, sounds like we have some activities in common.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I am glad you can find alternatives...
    I was also told not to run anymore by my doctor, but due to our nomadic lifestyle I'll have to find some other things to do for exercise, that don't include gym memberships.
    I walk a lot, but that's not the same...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    When I’m not so sick I’ll get my P.T. Papers out and send you pictures so you can see the exercises with instructions. I didn’t realize you live in the NW. I used to ski at Mt Hood all the time. Cooper Spur not that far from me either. We should plan to meet sometime, sounds like we have some activities in common.
    No, I live in Missouri but only Kansas stands between us and the mountains. This year we are going twice, so a season pass was the best way to go for two weeks of skiing.