Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    09-17-2018 08:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 243 Times

Default Sleeved in Alabama

Hello! My name is Carla and I had gastric sleeve surgery on January 10th, 2017 by Dr. Jay Suggs at Crestwood Hospital in Huntsville Alabama. I am a registered dental hygienist, certified dental assistant, notary public, and a cake decorator. Weight of surgery date was 287 and as of today I’ve lost 111 pounds and I’m still loosing at a steady pace. Gastric sleeve surgery was the best thing I’ve done in my life and I would do it again. I used to suffer with chronic back pain and arthritis and all of that is now gone. I now love helping people get started on thier gastric sleeve journey and helping them with their weight loss goals. The reason I chose gastric sleeve surgery is because of my own patients, the only bariatric patients I saw that didn’t have dental problems were gastric sleeve patients. I know whatever is best for the teeth is best for the body. I am strict on myself as far as diet goes. My husband is planning on having his sleeve surgery done in early 2018 (also by Dr. Suggs) and he has two more weigh ins to go. He has diabetes and has had to have his right big toe amputated his year because of his diabetes. Feel free to ask me anything about sleeve surgery or even dental if you’d like! If anyone has questions about my surgeon, Dr. Suggs, I will say that he and his staff are the best and I couldn’t have done it without them! Also if you plan on going to Crestwood, you couldn’t ask to be at a better hospital!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Don't have one yet
    Last Activity
    04-28-2019 05:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Sleeved in Alabama

Hi thanks for sharing, I am thinking about having this done but am trying to learn as much as possible about it, What is it like for your food intake? like what can you eat and how much etc. How hard has it really been? I love food and have failed at so many diets ,I am afraid I would fail at this too. My health is what makes me consider this and wanting to be able to move around and not tire out.Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times

Hello Teresa! I'm always happy to help someone get started and find their own way to having gastric sleeve surgery done. I myself was addicted to food and it was an addiction I couldn't kick by myself I struggled with it constantly. I ate when I was happy, sad, stressed, bored, ect. With sleeve surgery I was able to kick my food addiction rather quickly and it surprised me how easy it was for me to give up the foods I loved (carbs!). My food intake is mostly lean protiens and I usually get full on 2.5-4 ounces of food, depending on what the food is. That was shocking to me because I could always eat atleast two full plates of food. The only food aversions I have are to really carby foods like breads, cereals, pastas, and regular peanut butter (I shouldn't be eating those things anyway). It hasn't been hard for me at all, its one of the easiest things I've done and I'd do it again if I had to. I would highly encourage you to go for the gastric sleeve. Also like I stated before, as a dental hygienist I know whatever is good for the teeth is also good for the body. The diet you'll be eating afterwards is also what I call a dental friendly diet (noncariogenic, dentally speaking). Also its the only bariatric surgery I haven't seen any dental problems with (demineralization). I had back problems and couldn't move around like you're talking about and now I'm faster and have more energy than most people I'm around. Feel free to ask me more questions! Always glad to help!

Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times

Also I forgot to mention one thing. Most people think this is a "quick fix" and they will be able to eat whatever they want because the surgery fixes the problem. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The new sleeve like shape of your stomach is a tool to HELP you loose weight. You have a limited amount of space in your stomach and you can choose to fill it with good healthy foods (lean protiens/dairy/natural foods), or you can fill it with junk (pizza, Cheetos, candy). Its a tool to help you achieve your goals and you have to use it the proper way. The best way I can explain it is you can buy the best electric toothbrush on the market with all the attachments and accessories to help you get your teeth cleaned, but if you never use it properly and it sits on your bathroom counter it will never do you any good unless you use it the way it was intended. I thought I would have a problem with staying away from those sweet carby foods I love (I'm a cake decorator and I always have cake and icing around), but its actually much easier to stay away from because I know they'll make my stomach hurt and I'll regret eating it. Eventually you'll give all that bad food up because its simply not worth the way they make you feel and what they do to you.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

That is cool that your husband is also going to be sleeved. My husband has started running, working out with me, and eating healthy. He has lost about 40-45 lbs in the process. The sleeve was wonderful for both of us!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times

So your husband had the sleeve procedure too? Was his before or after yours? Since he’s lost weight is he more energetic and happy?! Congrats to him and you for loosing weight together!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Don't have one yet
    Last Activity
    04-28-2019 05:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks for responding, this brought tears to my eyes, because I guess I am really scared. Scared I will screw it up, cause I love food. I also love healthy food and love how I feel when I do eat right, just don't stick with it. Secretly I have always dreamed of being at a healthy weight and in shape. Your response also makes me excited because I have been saying for awhile, I think I am addicted . How did you begin your process? I think my first step will be to talk to my doctor and its a new doctor not sure what they are going to say.
    Teresa

Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times

Awww Theresa! *hugs!!!* You sound just like me when I struggled with trying to get started! It’s such a fight and yes foodnis an addiction for many people, I was one of them. The first thing you need to do is call your insurance company and see if they cover vertical gastric sleeve procedure (VSG). I know in Alabama you have to have a particular policy. It’s not like that in all states. If they do then find out what the approval process is. It varies from state to state. After you find all that out let me know what they say and I can help you from there. Please don’t cry, you’re not alone in your fight against your weight. It may feel like you are hr you aren’t my dear, I assure you. Smile. You deserve to be happy.