Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How many calories and protein, 10 months out

I am struggling a bit.
    I was at my goal weight, nine months after surgery.
    So technically, I am in maintenance right now.
    My restriction still is supertight, which I consider a blessing.
    I can eat about three quart of a cup, sometimes a bit more.
    I take 3 healthy meals and 3 healthy snacks every day, sometimes I have 4 snack times.
    My average calorie intake is about 1300 per day, my average proteine intake about 90 grams per day.
    Sometimes a bit more, sometime a bit less.

I am trying to up my calorie intake and eat less proteins.
    I have been googling, but I can't find much about an average amount of calories during maintenance.
    I don't want to up my calories by eating fatty foods, which would be easiest.
    I don't eat meat, but sometimes I do eat fish like salmon, which is a healthy fat.
    I eat nuts, which are also higher in calories.

But what would be a good calorie intake per day?
    I am aiming foor 1500-1600, but that's not easy with my small portions.
    Should I be eating more right now and if so, how much more?
    I realise that every body (or everybody ) is different and there is no "should", but I am looking for some sort of guideline.
    Reason: typo
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How many calories and proteine, 10 months out

Such a good question, I'm looking forward to the replies

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Pre-surgery I had my metabolism measured and I couldn't eat more than 1,200 calories/day without gaining weight. I don't know if that will change post-surgery but at least I hope my hunger will be in check. From what I've read here, it's so personal and also dependent on how active you are.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

(Sorry for long post.)

DutchSleeve, there truly, really, honestly is no single answer to this. It depends on one's metabolic rate, which is a function (mostly) of activity and exercise levels, muscle mass, age, ancestry, the seasons and weather, sleep, and supplements you're taking (e.g., iron seems to speed up my metabolism a little), physical and mental diseases you've been diagnosed with, medications you're taking, and the amount and types of daily stress in your life. And probably other stuff.

Also, the kinds of foods you're eating may well make a significant difference. For example, I can eat almost twice as many calories in veggies and fruits calories compared to refined sugar and highly processed carb calories without gaining weight. And trust me, as a years-long My Fitness Pal tracker I have done serious research for over 3 years now about how my body burns up specific foods.

But I have ZERO assurance that your body would react the same way my body does to all those ^^^ things. Still, I have only my own experience to tell you about, so ...

For almost two years post-op I maintained at 135 pounds (I'm 5'5" tall and almost 72 years old) and averaged 1,750 calories/day. (You can read a lot about what I ate when in the three surgiversary posts linked to below in my signature block.) Then almost 3 months ago, as I approached Year Four post-op, I resolved (based on some nutritional research I had done) to eat during Year Four 8 daily veggies and fruits. I've been pretty consistently doing that since my decision. And shockingly (to me) during that time I've slowly lost another 4 pounds while averaging over 1850 calories a day. Nothing else has changed. I'm exercising the same, doing the same daily activities. I don't know if this will continue. But if it does I'll respond accordingly. It turns out that I do like weighing 131 pounds and, for now, would like to remain at this weight. But I don't want to lose any more weight.

BTW, I still average around 100 grams of protein a day. I don't limit carbohydrates in any way, except to focus first on veggies and fruits. When I eat bread, I usually eat high-fiber breads. I do like to get AT LEAST 21 grams of fiber daily and usually range between 25-30 fiber grams. I typically have 3 servings of dairy daily (skim milk, Greek yogurt, and full-fat cheese).

I also typically drink 5 ounces of wine (no more) every day between 4-6pm. My wine consumption totals not quite 1.5 bottles/week. I also typically have an afternoon treat (e.g., biscotti) with coffee, which is the only time I eat and drink at the same time. I'm fortunate that those things don't trigger overeating for me. I occasionally (not daily) have a dark chocolate truffle. FTR, I track it all.

I also download my calorie and weight data into an Excel spreadsheet and do all kinds of analyses, e.g., 30-day moving averages, graphs, etc. I can readily see patterns that help me recognize seasonal changes, and the effects of lovely vacations, travel, family stresses (we are dealing here with some serious diagnoses), etc. But at the end of the day, it's just data that I use in my Big Science Experiment with a Very Small Sample (just me).

Not everyone is willing to do the kind of MFP tracking I do. And many, many people are able to maintain their weight long-term without tracking at all. All I know is this is what has helped me since a few months prior to VSG surgery. Again, I'm not suggesting you should track -- just sharing my experience.

I also know people who average 1200 - 1400 calories a day to maintain. Some folks eat very low carb, not only to lose weight, but as a maintenance stragegy.

A friend from another WLS forum recently attended the Obesity Help conference in California and reported that a number of speakers there were talking about how many WLS patients who avoid all treat foods wind up binging on those treat foods and regaining weight because they haven't built into their maintenance lifestyle safe opportunities to eat their treat foods (to innoculate themselves, so to speak, from their old nemeses' power).

This perspective seems to be in conflict with the lifelong LCHF (keto) eating plan that a few others here have talked about recently. I have no experience with the LCHF/keto approach long-term and can't opine about its efficacy for me. But the controlled, "safe opportunities" I've built into my daily menus to include my treats (e.g., wine, biscotti and occasional chocolate) is working ... SO FAR.

Bottom line is that everything that works for me only will work until it doesn't. And then if it quits working it's up to me to find something different that will work better. In fact, that's pretty much what we all have to do in maintenance. My working hypothesis is that I can't ever put my blinders on.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I just used an online calculator to measure my BMR, that is around 1100 cals per day, when I add my level of activity I total at 1600.
    That sounds about right to me.

But (some) bariatric dieticians tell wls patients they "have to" eat around 1000 cals at 6 months out.
    I began to eat that much at 9 months and slowly progressed to where I am now ( around 1300 cals).
    Based on that I fear it's not enough.

I take my vitamins religiously and have my blood checked every 6 months now.
    The last time was a couple of weeks ago and the results were perfect.

I started my yourney doing keto, but slowly upped my carb intake, by adding fruit and veggies and later on complex carbs.
    Currently I am at 80 grams a day.
    I eat between 30-35 grams of fiber.
    Ik track everything I eat in MFP and also keep a written record.
    I weigh daily, because that is what I feel comfortable with.
    It helps me staying alert.
    I didn't come this far to let myself slip.
    Personnaly, I think I'm doing a great job so far.

I still eat the "necessary" things and nothing more (yet).
    No sweets, cake, chips, wine etc.
    I'm not saying I never will, but right now I don't trust myself enough to try.
    Maybe later.
    I first want to see, how many calories I can actually eat, and still maintain my weight, within a couple of pounds, nothing more.
    Once I know that, I can always see, what I'll do in terms of additional things like chips or wine.

I think DHB has a point, with the BMR being the same or not pre or post op.
    I think it would be the same, because the body needs that certain amount just to stay functioning.
    That seems to be logical, at least to me.
    But maybe that also changes with the surgery, just as our setpoint changes.
    I really don't know.

Ann2: thank you so much for taking the time to post your answer, it is so much appreciated!
    And so helpful, as always.
    I do realise it depends on many factors and no two people are alike.
    But surgeons, dieticians and nutricionists always seem to be using the same lines from the same book and apply those rules to everybody without taking into consideration the age, gender, level of activity, or anything else, that separates me from the next person.
    That is what makes this subject so confusing.
    It truly 'ís very personal.

So maybe there is no fixed number.
    Maybe the "guideline" I am looking for is more subjective like "how do I feel" and "learn to know your body really, really well".
    One guideline definitely could be the bloodwork.
    I certainly can do that.
    But this is uncharted territory.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I just eat protein first, then veggies, then a healthy carb if there's room. I am a very uncomplicated person. I was never told to count calories, only protein and liquid. I don't even own a watch to see how many steps I take, I just exercise. Simple. (I do own a watch to tell time.)

That being said, Ann is much skinnier than me (yes, I am jealous!) so I keep saying I will try her way, but I can't get myself to do it. Something in the back of my head wants to stay away from any type of diet mentality. Bad years of dieting memories probably.

From the person still 5 pounds over goal.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I cannot for the love of life track things. I do not have it in me. I can't keep a log of what I have eaten and be bothered. LOL. It is just not compatible with my personality. I do read labels and understand what I am putting in my body. I am are of the protein in what I eat. I do think about what I have had protein and fluid wise and do more when needed. I am still losing, though, very slowly now. I exercise. I am a lot like Sraebaer as in I just do what feels naturally to me. Now...I am a person who likes to know what my weight is doing. That is what I use to change or adjust habits. I weigh every morning and night. It is what keeps me mindful of what I am doing all day long...knowing I will be hoping on that scale and owning up to it. I also focus on my protein and veggies first. Then I can have the carbs I want. I usually eat predominantly healthy but I do also eat some non healthy foods in small doses. My favorite "not so healthy" food is really not even that bad for you. Air popped popcorn. Gives you fiber. It is nutritionally void, though, so that is why I consider it non healthy. I also occasionally indulge in something sweet. Like a bite or two. I do not eat a whole slice of cake, a whole candy bar, or the like. Just a bite or two. And that is as long as I have taken care of my nutritional needs first. My goal through this process is intuitive eating.

14. Said thanks: