Dr Dietrick
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Vitamins

Hi
    I'm a new member scheduled for December 13. Just wanted to get some input on what vitamins people are taking that of been effective for them. Anyone that can tell me good and or bad experiences e would be helpful thanks so much in advance I'm learning so much from just reading on the site

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ItsMyTurn's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/16/2018
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Default Re: Vitamins

I am curious too. I think there are specific forums just for vitamin questions. (but I'm a newbie too and trying to figure out how to navigate!)
    I saw my nutritionist yesterday. She really likes Bariatric Advantage vitamins if you don't want to put alot of thought into mixing your own 'cocktail'. I hope others will reply with advice! I read somewhere that some people are using a patch and like the ease of that (patchmd.com). Not sure about costs for any of these. Not much of a help..sorry!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My nutritionist was very specific about vitamins. Even got yelled at 3 years out when I told her I switched to the Walmart brand multi vitamin. She told me they had no iron and some other stuff, that I must take the bariatric ones for life. Said sleeve patients need more than a typical person in a multi-vitamin.

Here's what I take:

1. Pro Care Health Bariatric Multivitamins with iron. Early on I took the chewable, now I take the capsules. They sell them at my local HyVee grocery store, or you can get them online. (These were the least expensive ones on my nutritionist's list of approved vitamins.)

2. Calcium Citrate (Be sure it is CITRATE!). Now I take the Walmart brand tablets, but when I needed chewables after surgery I couldn't find any in stores. I ordered the Building Blocks orange flavor on line. They were YUMMY.

3. A D3 once a day. Walmart. Teeny-tiny, you could swallow it with a sip.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Welcome, I take either womens chewable one a day or kirkland chewable one a day, Chewable kirkland calcium or vita fusion calcium. I did in the beginning take sublingual B12 but had to stop because my levels became to high. I was getting all my B vitamins from my diet. I continue to take a prescription vit D once a week. I have my cbc and chemistry panel checked every three months and my levels are great!!!! No need to buy expensive bariatric vitamins with the sleeve surgery because we don’t have absorption problems like the bypass does. I also have all my vitamin levels checked every 6 mos. I have to have frequent blood work because of some health issues i have and because of the treatment i’m on can effect my levels. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your surgery, your in for an amazing ride.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyTurn View Post
    I am curious too. I think there are specific forums just for vitamin questions. (but I'm a newbie too and trying to figure out how to navigate!)
    I saw my nutritionist yesterday. She really likes Bariatric Advantage vitamins if you don't want to put alot of thought into mixing your own 'cocktail'. I hope others will reply with advice! I read somewhere that some people are using a patch and like the ease of that (patchmd.com). Not sure about costs for any of these. Not much of a help..sorry!
    The vitamin Patches are not good, Not enough of the vitamin is absorbed in your skin. Don’t waste your money on those!!! No need to buy expensive bariatric vitamins for the sleeve surgery because it doesn’t have absorption problems like the bypass does. Above you can see what has worked for me. My doctor and nutritionist reviewed before i had surgery and approved these too. Good luck with your surgery.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

My practice is adamant that I take specific bariatric vitamins. I chose Bariatric Advantage Andvanced Multi EA bc it includes iron, Vit D, B-12 & Biotin so all I have to take in addition is calcium. At this point I'm crushing the vitamin and mixing it into Greek yogurt. It's pretty chalky. Be sure you have a run down of what you need in terms of iron, VitD, & B-12. I first ordered Celebrate but they didn't have the iron I needed. My practice also said the patch vitamins are unproven so they don't recommend them.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I used to take Bariatric multi vitamin but it made me sick. So I found a gummy from Walmart with similar items in it. Mine has A, C, D, E, B-6, Folic Acid, B-12, Biotin, Calcium, Iodine, and Zinc. (They are Equate brand. It is only 2 g sugar and 10 cals for the 2 vitamin serving.) I also take Calcium Citrate, Biotin, D3, and B-12 separately. I don't have issues with iron. I have a very good diet now at one year post op. I look and feel super healthy. I can tell you in the beginning the vitamins are beyond crucial as you definitely are not getting enough in. My surgeon/NUT said it was not mandatory to take bariatric multi's as long as you found good ones that had similar ingredients. Like I said, for me, I had the bariatric and they would make me throw up. They just turned my stomach.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I don't get on here much anymore, but, I am passionate about this subject. It's one of my four pillars. Nutrition, Hydration, Supplements, and Exercise.

I decided a long time ago to cut all veggies out of my food plan so that I could pack my sleeve with protein, fat, and carbs. I'd go into the reasons why I do that, but, it usually causes a nine line crap storm on here so I won't. If anyone is interested, you can read all about it on my profile page. 40 or 50 pages of posts I've made concerning my plan on how to lose weight with the sleeve all while never stalling. You get for free what others are willing to pay 15 dollars for. Amazes me to this day.

Now...about vitamins. I take a bucket full of supplements every day in order to get the essential nutrients I need to sustain a healthy lifestyle. My main vitamin is a liquid vitamin called Sea Essentials. Absolute brute of a vitamin. 100 different kinds of vitamins and minerals packed into a not so offensive liquid. I keep mine refrigerated and it's tolerable. 50 bones at GNC and 25 on Amazon. Go to Amazon and read the reviews. Off the hook. I also take Biotin, Calcium Citrate, B12, Fish oil, D3, Folic Acid, two baby aspirins, and a partridge in a pear tree. Oh, I almost forgot. I also take a margarita or three every night. Love me some margaritas.

But, I digress.......

I do my blood work every 8-10 months and have been spot on perfect every time. The only issue I have is hypertension, and that runs in the family. I had hoped that losing 265 lbs and keeping it off would eliminate the need for the blood pressure pill, but, it has not.

You can change your jeans, but, you can't change your genes.

I have found recently that my short term memory isn't as sharp as it has been in the past. I've been researching if anything I am doing, or not doing, nutritionally is causing that. I decided it's because I'm in my mid 50s and that seems to universally happen to folks who qualify for AARP.

So, while I am not advocating one vitamin over another, or combination of vitamins over others, I am advocating for supplements. Can't take too many in my opinion.

For those that don't know, I lost 265 lbs in 14 months and have kept it off for over 4 years. I gain and lose the same 5-7 pounds month in and month out just like the non sleeved skinny people do. I eat what I want, when I want, and made just the way I like it. I've been doing that since month 8 of my trip. I lost 100 in the first six months and 165 in the last six months with my plan. I had a slimy ass stall in the middle of my losing that lasted 2 months and that is what caused me to change my viewpoint and come up with the plan I came up with.

Again, go to my profile page, hit the link that says "view latest posts", and take a look. Feel free to pm if you have any question or just want a little clarification or advice.

Peace

16. Said thanks: