08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Lesson from The Biggest Losers: Exercise Keeps Off the Weight

Here's a recent article in The New York Times about the value of exercise in helping obese patients keep off the weight they lost.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/h...ight-loss.html

If you're pre-op, what role do you think exercise will play in your weight loss and maintenance lifestyle?

If you're post-op, are you exercising regularly or do you believe you can keep your weight off long-term without exercising?

Other thoughts about WLS and exercise?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson from The Biggest Losers: Exercise Keeps Off the Weight

This is such a great post Ann and I've got heaps to say about it!
    I think exercise is absolutely the way to maintain weightloss once you've lost it. I agree with the thought that it is 80/20 with food being the 80 but for me I think the 20 is also pretty important.
    I think a majority of people don't exercise. After WLS I also think the majority of people don't exercise. Or they do for a while and then give up. That's not to say the odd people don't become legends and keep it up before anyone starts yelling at me ;-)
    I think it's a massive complex subject and can be different stories with people who have been super morbidly obese and people who have just been obese. But it's human nature and a lot of people just don't like it. Exercise takes effort. I don't know how you get someone who hates exercise to love it. I don't know if you do or they just tolerate it for specific periods of time (the 12 week challenge people).
    It's tricky. But gawd it's bloody handy if you can love it. Fortunatly I have always loved exercise, my mother brought us up like russian athletes and we were up at 4am every morning for swim squad, then dance after school, lifeguards at weekends and loads more. I was still fat, but i was fit.
    Now I run about 25 to 50km a week depending on what I'm training for and do crossfit 3 times a week. And I've been doing that for 4 years while still fat. This made me the maintenance queen because I'd lost 40 kg already. The stats on loosing a large amount of weight and keeping it of are pretty shocking. Only 5% will. I was in the 5% but still fat. I don't think people can manage that without exercise.
    I will continue to exercise just because it's in my DNA.
    Exercise is super important for bone health too after WLS. Excellent for mental health, makes your body look heaps better after weight loss, makes your community safer (totes, the more people out exercising the safer communities :-)
    I think there are so many benefits :-)

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Exercise is the key to keeping off your weight. I don't know how anyone could do it without it. Luckily we have one more tool that those biggest loser people didn't, our sleeve! We've got this.

Biggest Loser always bugged me, basically those people quit their job and had help 24 hours a day with cooks and trainers. They worked out all day long. Of course that's not normal life, obviously most will gain it back unless they are really willing to fight for their new bodies.

Many big people think of exercise as some terrible thing. They feel the same way after they lose the weight. But they have a surprise coming, that weight that fell off during the losing phase so easily won't stay away as easily. I was lucky, I have always enjoyed exercising even when I was fat. So it was simple to just continue what I was doing, and then pick it up even more, as in running, biking, mountain climbing, etc. It is good for my body and soul.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Stacey. You really are lucky that exercise was introduced to you early on. You've got a huge advantage going forward.

As a kid I was a couch potato. Kept my head in a book constantly, worked hard at school, worked after school. In high school and college I did get into tennis and one summer actually lost 20 pounds because I played tennis for hours every night after work.

As an adult I was sporadically active and sporadically back to the couch. But I did learn a lot about exercise and developed some considerable enthusiasm for what it could do for my body and how it made me feel.

And then around age 30 I discovered hiking, backpacking, and trekking. Got into it big time (sraebaer will appreciate this). I fell in love with mountains and have done some major treks around the world at very high altitude.

Anyway, early on post-op my therapist was all over my butt about What Kind of Exercise Are You Going to Do Long-Term? The first year I walked, and that's about all I did. Then these last two years I've added in yoga / aquarobics classes. And doing these three things every week is exactly what works for me.

Now, post-op, I exercise 5-6 days a week. At my age (nearly 72) it's smart not to do the same exercise day after day. Frankly, I think cross-training is the smart thing for everyone to do. I worry about those who run daily and do no other kind of exercise. Eventually, I fear that will wear out some critical body parts. But I guess that's something everyone needs to learn for themselves. On the other hand, it's certainly possible that someone can do a single sport most of their lives. Obviously, I know my own body better than I know anyone else's.

Finally, anyone who reads my posts knows that I'm an avid My Fitness Pal tracker. I also track on MFP my daily exercise calories. I know that without those 1000-1500 calories/week that I regularly burn doing exercise there's NO WAY I could have maintained my weight so consistently for the past 2 years. In fact, without exercising I'd likely have REGAINED 30-45 pounds. Trust me. I've done the math.

If you're not exercising or you hate exercise, I hate to tell you that you just have to do it anyway. And the more you do it, the more you are likely to stop hating it. Exercise is funny that way.

One woman's experience. One woman's opinion.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Thanks, Stacey. You really are lucky that exercise was introduced to you early on. You've got a huge advantage going forward.

As a kid I was a couch potato. Kept my head in a book constantly, worked hard at school, worked after school. In high school and college I did get into tennis and one summer actually lost 20 pounds because I played tennis for hours every night after work.

As an adult I was sporadically active and sporadically back to the couch. But I did learn a lot about exercise and developed some considerable enthusiasm for what it could do for my body and how it made me feel.

And then around age 30 I discovered hiking, backpacking, and trekking. Got into it big time (sraebaer will appreciate this). I fell in love with mountains and have done some major treks around the world at very high altitude.

Anyway, early on post-op my therapist was all over my butt about What Kind of Exercise Are You Going to Do Long-Term? The first year I walked, and that's about all I did. Then these last two years I've added in yoga / aquarobics classes. And doing these three things every week is exactly what works for me.

Now, post-op, I exercise 5-6 days a week. At my age (nearly 72) it's smart not to do the same exercise day after day. Frankly, I think cross-training is the smart thing for everyone to do. I worry about those who run daily and do no other kind of exercise. Eventually, I fear that will wear out some critical body parts. But I guess that's something everyone needs to learn for themselves. On the other hand, it's certainly possible that someone can do a single sport most of their lives. Obviously, I know my own body better than I know anyone else's.

Finally, anyone who reads my posts know that I'm an avid My Fitness Pal tracker. I also track on MFP my daily exercise calories. I know that without those 1000-1500 calories/week that I regularly burn doing exercise there's NO WAY I could have maintained my weight so consistently for the past 2 years. In fact, without exercising I'd likely have REGAINED 30-45 pounds. Trust me. I've done the math.

If you're not exercising or you hate exercise, I hate to tell you that you just have to do it anyway. And the more you do it, the more you are likely to stop hating it. Exercise is funny that way.

One woman's experience. One woman's opinion.
    Absolutely agree. you can't just run, you've got to cross train and use ALL of the muscles. It's so great that you've found your love of it now Ann. I think hiking is so great for your body, especially on different terrains. I do prefer to run but I did do an 7 hour hike in Tamania (Cape Raoul) the other year and the views were amazing. I did whinge quite a bit because it had been raining and i wasnt really wearing the right costume, but i do see that hiking can be such an amazing experience.
    Yoga is so excellent and i love to throw in a bikram class here and there. Aqua aerobics is also super fun, i once went to a session when i was 22 and the whole class wre ladies in their 70s with beautiful swimming caps!!! Swoon! I loved them and i kept going to that class even though it was the wrong one for me. It was like being in the South of France with a bunch of glamour queens :-)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Exercise is the key to keeping off your weight. I don't know how anyone could do it without it. Luckily we have one more tool that those biggest loser people didn't, our sleeve! We've got this.

Biggest Loser always bugged me, basically those people quit their job and had help 24 hours a day with cooks and trainers. They worked out all day long. Of course that's not normal life, obviously most will gain it back unless they are really willing to fight for their new bodies.

Many big people think of exercise as some terrible thing. They feel the same way after they lose the weight. But they have a surprise coming, that weight that fell off during the losing phase so easily won't stay away as easily. I was lucky, I have always enjoyed exercising even when I was fat. So it was simple to just continue what I was doing, and then pick it up even more, as in running, biking, mountain climbing, etc. It is good for my body and soul.
    So agree Sraebaur, it is SO good for the soul. I mean there have been proven studies that exercise help with mood. I think it keeps everyone happier, bowels regular and gives you the pink cheeks!
    And how nice is it to be able to power up hills and feel the vitality. We are lucky to have the love for it :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

TOTALLY agree about mixing it up with the exercise, especially for us "old folks!" While I like to bike and run I certainly couldn't do either every day. I end up with sore knees. The day after a really long bike ride, I walk. I stick weight work in between aerobic work.

After I broke my neck and got the brace off I asked the neurosurgeon if I could run, and he said, "Sure, but why would you want to? It's bad on your joints." I still do it, but not often like I used to.

Oh to be young again, and go for a run every day. Is there a surgery for that? Reversing aging?

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

My main motivation for this surgery is to be able to exercise and enjoy the activities I once did. I went from chubby to obese when I ended up with two torn menisci and had to stop running and playing tennis. And then my stomach got in the way of yoga. And even working out with a trainer, I was doing damage because all this extra weight puts so much stress on one's body. When I did my cardiac stress test the cardiologist was shocked by what good shape I was in. He kept saying that he hadn't seen anyone so "large" in such good shape. When I told him I easily walk 5 miles he didn't believe me until I showed him my fitness tracker. But to me, that's just part of the misunderstanding in the medical community. They think fat people are all sedentary.

I say all this because 5-10 years ago I had a much more active life but it's so difficult to be active with 100+ extra pounds to drag around. And I know that as the weight comes off it will be so much easier to exercise and enjoy various activities. So I do believe it's imperative to exercise to keep the weight off, but I also think as the weight comes off, it's so much easier to exercise. And for those who haven't been exercising, it will get easier every 10-20lbs that come off. I plan to mostly walk and do some strength training for the first couple months, then move on to other exercise as I hit certain weights. Even with the 15lbs off from my pre-op diet, I feel a difference and I know that will continue.

I am so grateful to have this tool to lose weight. And I do want to encourage anyone who hasn't been active that as the pounds come off, it will be so much easier to do other activities. Just find activities you enjoy and take it slow.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    My main motivation for this surgery is to be able to exercise and enjoy the activities I once did. I went from chubby to obese when I ended up with two torn menisci and had to stop running and playing tennis. And then my stomach got in the way of yoga. And even working out with a trainer, I was doing damage because all this extra weight puts so much stress on one's body. When I did my cardiac stress test the cardiologist was shocked by what good shape I was in. He kept saying that he hadn't seen anyone so "large" in such good shape. When I told him I easily walk 5 miles he didn't believe me until I showed him my fitness tracker. But to me, that's just part of the misunderstanding in the medical community. They think fat people are all sedentary.

I say all this because 5-10 years ago I had a much more active life but it's so difficult to be active with 100+ extra pounds to drag around. And I know that as the weight comes off it will be so much easier to exercise and enjoy various activities. So I do believe it's imperative to exercise to keep the weight off, but I also think as the weight comes off, it's so much easier to exercise. And for those who haven't been exercising, it will get easier every 10-20lbs that come off. I plan to mostly walk and do some strength training for the first couple months, then move on to other exercise as I hit certain weights. Even with the 15lbs off from my pre-op diet, I feel a difference and I know that will continue.

I am so grateful to have this tool to lose weight. And I do want to encourage anyone who hasn't been active that as the pounds come off, it will be so much easier to do other activities. Just find activities you enjoy and take it slow.
    You are so right Dale, there is so much misunderstanding. And also I'm sure you often have had the look of surprise when people realise how fit you are. People used to say 'really' if i mentioned I ran half marathons. I'd then invite them out for a run :-)

18. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Not only does exercise keep the weight off it also has so many other benefits to your body. But I can tell you that I have known skinny people who do not exercise and they are flabby. Or as I call them skinny fat. I want to be in a fit body. Not just a skinny body.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Also, exercise helps me clear my mind. It is when I work things out in my head.

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Yoga clears my mind, as well.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Great post! Exercise is absolutely a key component to my success!!! In addition to being good for my body, it helps me burn stress that I used to burn by eating.

I get now that I might have been using food as a tool to cope with stress, now I use exercise. Could be worse I guess!

Now get out and walk, run, bike, something! GO!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

26. Said thanks: