Last Activity
    12-28-2018 11:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Gastric sleeve surgery 11/01/17

Hey guys,

I’ve had my gastric sleeve surgery preformed on November 1st, 2017 by Dr. George Fielding at NYU hopspital.
    First let me start off with the 2-week pre surgery liquid diet. In the beginning I had thought it would be really hard to do but the protein shakes really made me full through the day. I remember probably 1-2 nights of the two weeks where I felt a little hungry so I’d have a sugar free ice pop. My starting weight before the liquid diet was 288 LBS.

Before surgery, I couldn’t have been more confident to want to do anything so life-changing in my entire life. What really helped calm my neves a few days before surgery was watching people’s stories on YouTube about their experience as well as watching a gastric sleeve surgery from start to finish! (Coolest thing ever)

I woke up from surgery at around 12:45 PM on November 1st 2017. The whole thing took about 45 min- 1 hour. By 2:30 that same afternoon, I was out of bed walking with my nurse. I was walking slowly but managed to do 4 laps around the room! Later that day around 5 PM I was transferred to a regular patient room and where I had only spent 24-hrs before I was discharged from the hopsital the next afternoon.

On November 2nd 2017 (day 1 after surgery) at about 4:30 AM I felt nauseous but only for about 10 minutes. (No vomit thank god!)

Before being released I had to complete a swallow test which consisted of drinking 1-Oz of water every 15 minutes. This sounds easy but it was definitely a challenge. I completed about 90% of the goal and was told I was ok for discharge!

Today, Sunday November 5th 2017 I am now on day 5 post-op gastric sleeve surgery and I feel pretty good. I now weigh 266 LBS (down 22 LBs!!!) Sipping water/protein shakes are a pain in the butt but it’s manageable. It gets better over the days.

I have a list of questions I’m hoping most of you could answer or or if your curious check out some responses. Please see below:

1. When/ how long does it take for you to poop after surgery? (I’ve only started to pass gas 2 days ago but haven’t pooped yet)

2. For those people like myself who HATE sleeping on there back, do you have trouble sleeping on your side after surgery?

3. (TMI question) but I have to ask because I’m sure most people are curious.. when can you masturbate/have oral sex after surgery?

4. When you eventually move on to puréed foods/ soft solid foods, do you still have to SIP your liquids?

5. When does the gas go away?

6. After the bandages are removed (about 3 days after surgery) do the incisions have to be covered or should they be left uncovered to breath and heal? Should you apply any antibiotic cream?

Hoping you guys could answer some questions, thank you!

All the best,
    Michael C.

2. The following 18 users said welcome Mikecab4 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gastric sleeve surgery 11/01/17

I answered you on your blog that was the same as this. With this forum sometimes posts get pushed down and people don't see them.