Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    06-22-2018 09:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Considering the sleeve...

Hey all, first post for me. I've been browsing this forum for about the last week, which is when I decided to make an appointment with Cooper to discuss getting a WLS, the sleeve in particular. I'm 5'4", 270 pounds with a BMI of about 46. I have been feeling like garbage lately. Knees, hips, back hurting, exhausted and just not feeling right at all which also stops me from wanting to exercise.

I've tried so many things to lose weight. Herbalife, low carb, high protein, even vegetarian. Nothing has worked, I've lost maybe 2-6 pounds combined with everything i've tried and stalled.

I'm looking forward to the appointment, and really am hoping that I get approved from all angles to be a candidate for this surgery. I am also looking forward to hopefully talking with some of you about your experiences (good and bad) and everyone here seems to be a great support so that's another plus

Thank you for taking the time to read this babble!

Starting consult weight Nov 2017: 262

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    BLANCA Z
    Surgery date
    05/13/2017
    Surgeon
    DR MICHAEL SEDREK
    Last Activity
    02-20-2018 02:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 125 Times

Default Re: Considering the sleeve...

Hello and welcome first let me tell you this was the best decision I have ever made in my life I been over weight my whole life
    and I guess you can say also been the heaviest in my family I was always the one being left because of my weight. it took me a while to get convince
    and I finally I convince my self into doing it its been almost 6 months since surgery and I feel amazing I got confidence I look amazing. The only that sucks is in the beginning because I love food and I new that was going to change I had to mentally prepare my self. As far as recovery I was surprise I took only 5 day from work I had no issues its just hard the 1st month the liquid diet everyone is different.. But good luck hopefully you get approved .. oh and another thing I had the same pain as you everywhere I was a hot mess all that went away thank god

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome!

I'm 3 years and almost 3 months post-op. You can read about my journey at my three annual "surgiversary" posts linked to below at the bottom of my signature block.

Only YOU can decide whether the sleeve or another form of WLS is best for you. Hang out here. Listen. Read. Talk to prospective surgeons in your area. If possible, meet in real life (perhaps at a bariatric support group) some post-op sleeved patients to learn what life is like for them.

This is a big decision. If you do choose WLS, you MUST be prepared to change your lifestyle after surgery. The sleeve will be a marvelous tool for weight loss and weight maintenance. But you need a lot more than a sleeve in your healthy lifestyle arsenal. You'll need to eat more nutritious foods in the future, exercise regularly, learn how to deal with life's stresses without relying on comfort eating to sedate yourself through the tough times, and more.

And it would be a good idea if you could decide to FINALLY put your own needs before those of any other people in your life. It's not selfish. They will benefit almost as much as you will by doing so.

Very best wishes to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi pugtato,
    So nice to have you here :-)
    I'm having my op in 4 days so you can see how I go. Generally my advice would be to follow the peeps like Ann^^^^ and Christie and sraebaur and tinman and other people that have been around for quite a while as they know the long term ins and outs. Good luck :-)

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Pugtato,

Welcome, I am your height and my highest weight was 276. The sleeve was suggest by my PC doc and I thought what are you crazy....but then I did the research went thru the process of looking into the surgery. Everything feel into place and doctors I trusted confirmed that it would be a good for me, so here I am 5 months later sleeved and down 67 lbs.

Do your research and ask questions and the folks here are great support and there is a wealth of knowledge with the combined experiences.

Blessings on your journey!

A

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I second everyone above! It was the best decision for me. I'm 5 foot nothing and started at my heaviest at 260 and had a bmi of 52. I too am 5 months post op and have lost 62 pounds. In additon to losing 51 pounds in the 7 months before surgery I'm down a total of 113 pounds!
    With my experience I changed the way I ate the first meeting with my nutritionist. The sooner you change the way you eat and think about food the better. Again that is my opinion.
    Feel free to ask questions or concerns. This is the best place for support! Good luck on whatever path you choose.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

One year out today. I am so happy I did this! Best. Decision. Ever!!! I am happier and healthier than I ever thought possible. The sleeve gave me back my zest for life and this amazing new healthy body to live it in!!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Pugtato, welcome! I agree about the posters who have been enormously helpful in my sorting out the process. I am only 4 weeks out, and on Phase 4 of the diet. But I've also lost 35 1/2 lbs since 9/20/17, and my sleeve was 10/5/17.

For me, it was accepting that I had not failed on all the diets; it was acknowledging I have 5 comorbidities, relating to a genetic/hereditary gene mutation which makes NASH and metabolic syndrome, along with cancer, an issue.

It was accepting that I cannot jump tall buildings in a single bound, and realize that this tool is the key to health, enjoying my life as a healthier person, and looking better to me.

I would do it over again. The surgery wasn't painful (except for gas in the shoulder area). A 2 tylenol in the hospital kind of thing. I did have some complications and required a blood transfusion, but it only meant a couple extra days in the hospital, and I didn't feel badly.

The phases have been do-able, although I just plain old don't like whey protein and would rather take a whipping than drink it But I've followed the dietary phases to the letter. I meet with the NUT and see my dr., and include my PC, cardiologist & oncologist in my dialogues. My family is supportive, and bless my friends heart, they just want me around and healthy. Same for my grown children.

This forum is the best one I've found. People are generous of heart, kind in their communications, and always rally round to help.

SO glad you're here!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts

Welcome!
    i always start by saying-I haven't had my surgery yet but, I can speak to the process of getting there. It is a long journey to embark on. It has taken me 3 months to get all of the required tests and appointments and classes in(and that's nothing, some people need 6 months per insurance). This is the time you will figure it out. You learn SO much and by then end you know if it is right for you. I have had some bumps already ( feeling sad, second guessing my decision) but that's a good thing. It helps you to know if you are really committed to doing this.The good thing is that your doctor will look at EVERYTHING so that by surgery time you have a pretty good idea about how healthy you are. There is comfort in that. Read this board, study, study,study. Reach out, ask questions and the vets on here are GREAT about answering. Good luck. I hope your journey is as educational for you as it has already been for me!

Gege

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Hi pugtato,
    So nice to have you here :-)
    I'm having my op in 4 days so you can see how I go. Generally my advice would be to follow the peeps like Ann^^^^ and Christie and sraebaur and tinman and other people that have been around for quite a while as they know the long term ins and outs. Good luck :-)
    good luck and i would love to know how it goes and what you're feeling like after!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you all for the responses.. very inspirational and informing!

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

Pugtato, I’m 3.5 weeks out and am so happy I did it. It’s a bit of a struggle, but definitely doable. I’m also 5’4, and when I started my pre-op diet I was 270. I am now 235, off my diabetes meds, and have lost a ton of inches off my stomach! Each week gets easier. I would highly recommend getting the surgery.ive gone out to eat a few times, and anytime I want to eat more, my stomach literally will not allow it and the pounds are melting off.

Good luck on your journey!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Update: wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread.

I spoke with a surgeon on Friday the 10th and he seems to be on board (woo) I guess now it's just up to my insurance company who said when my dad called them that they do cover it. The thing that intrigued me the most was the for sure one time fee of $600 out of pocket cost as it covers cooking classes, a nutritionist and a psychologist (Cooper is awesome). It scared me at first, but then I realized if I really want to do this I will find a way to get the money. $600 is nothing compared to the $1,000s that my fiancé would have to spend to burn me if I died from being fat.

*PS* Admin, let me know if I should start a new thread I feel like this may be a journal type thing*

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Derek Johanson
    Surgery date
    01/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Ward
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 08:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Went from disabled post spinal surgery, literally trying to justify life to working, hiking and living life! Went from 417lbs at consult (July 2016) to 389.6lbs at pre-surgical check (January 9th, 2017) to 296.1lbs (December 19th 2017).

Sleeve is like having a diet coach with you all the time. You eat right or you feel sick. You over eat you feel sick. You cheat on your diet you feel sick.

Definitely not a short cut! It is an awesome tool to help you change your eating habits.

I am however no longer able to drink any alcohol and really can’t get into eating like before. I used to eat for comfort and found out after you can only really eat to fuel your self. Not saying you can’t enjoy a meal. Eating becomes a chore for me. I don’t look at food and something to look forward to anymore. It is now kind of like daily maintenance. or. Brushing your teeth, showering, etc. you will need to take vitamins your whole life. Your tastes will change. Everyone is different. I can not drink any alcohol without doing from sober to spinning drunk. I went from giant steaks and potatoes to vegetarian. Your doctor will give you nutritional goals like for me 80 grams protein a day, little carbs and fat. You will need to adjust your diet and eat food that make those goals and also make you feel good. By feel good I mean your body can digest easily. It is still a lot of work and one you are in surgery there is no return.

That being said I went from hating life and worse. I couldn’t work and could bearing walk due to a back injury. My life crumbled around me. My wife left me and I had serious thoughts about taking the easy way out... I was on nearly a doz n different pills a day for blood pressure to psychiatric meds. In 1 1/2 years I went from that to having and awesome job, hiking, running, swimming and what ever I want to do. I love life and I love every day.

You do give up some thing with the surgery but you gain so much more!

This procedure literally saved my life!

July 2016 417lbs
    December 2017 296.1lbs

Life is good

27. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM