Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 4 years out and I've gained but I'm not going to let myself feel like a failure anymore!

Well, here I am. Back again. Shady's back. Tell a friend. Lol. I wish I could say SLIM Shady but that's not how things worked out for me. I was a rock star success story on this board losing 118lbs and maintaining for 2 years. Well, my personal life went to shit and so did my healthy lifestyle. I've regained a significant amount of weight over the last year and it wasn't due to food or over eating. It is due to alcohol and a sedentary lifestyle. I still eat small amounts but that doesn't matter if you drink a bottle of wine a day. The big ones. I felt like my weight loss ruined my life so, to cope, I started having a glass here and there to relax. Then I got laid off and drank all day every day. The ironic thing is I didn't get drunk. I just really like wine. Caveat - one bottle of wine can be as many as 2000 calories. Result? 55lb weight gain, shame, and feeling like a loser. Well, today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am setting a goal. No wine this weekend. Then no wine for a week. Then two and so on and so forth. I'm having water. Once I get hydrated again, I am going to get fitness gradually incorporated back into my life. Now, I've set these goals all before but I was doing it while feeling like a failure for throwing away everything I had achieved. Well, this time it's different. That switch in me flipped. You all know the switch. It's the one when you know you're ready for the right reasons. I don't feel like a failure now. I don't feel like I blew it. I don't have the goal of being a size 4 again. The past is over and I am not beating myself up for it. Now I'm actually looking forward to something new. I want to be healthy again. I don't care what size I get into again. I have a goal weight in mind but I am going to focus on what I am doing right now instead of what I did then or what I will do tomorrow. I am in control of me right now. And right now I'm in a good mind set and I feel strong. I can kick these bad habits for ME. So, one day at a time. I'm going to listen to my body and what feels healthy. So I'm off on my NEW journey. Here we go!!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default Re: 4 years out and I've gained but I'm not going to let myself feel like a failure anymore!

Well, I think you said exactly what resulted in your regain. Alcohol and sedentary lifestyle..... Eliminate those and get back in the game!

What's the underlying issue though? This is the part that scares the crap out of me. I am determined not to go back to the old me, I am really enjoying my new life. But, what was the true issue that resulted in my initial weight gain and obesity? I don't really know. I like to think that I was a stress eater, get stressed, cope by eating.... a lot....

Now I exercise, a lot (maybe I do have an addictive personality). Fortunately I don't drink, or use drugs, so I used to eat, now I run......

It is a regular thought in my mind and it scares me to think about where will I be in 1 year, 2, 3, 5 or 15? Hopefully I'll still be on the same path, not wandering aimlessly through the valley of cream puffs.....

You describe a lot of drinking...... Maybe it's time to get some help? I'm not saying you're an alcoholic, but maybe some help from a counseling perspective could help you out so you don't end up wandering aimlessly through the valley of Riesling, or Marlot all over again?

I really do believe that the mental game is much harder than the physical one. We eat, or drink, or lay on the couch for some underlying reason, some reason that's in our head, and unfortunately we don't know what it is most of the time.

Hope this helps. I am self admittedly not even one year out from surgery, but I recognize my own mental head game issues and thought this might be comforting or helpful in some way.

Later!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member tracey111's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: 4 years out and I've gained but I'm not going to let myself feel like a failure anymore!

Hi Jessie, your story sounds somewhat similar to mine before I had the surgery. I just had the surgery on 10/10 and only thing I miss - not food, not diet sodas (didn't even drink them), is the WINE! I drank anywhere from a glass to a bottle a day depending how my day went with a stressful job. My husband has been extremely supportive through all of this but the one thing he said is 'don't let all your pain and hard work go down the drain in a couple of years' and he is right. I am sure you can do this and get your self motivated again to be healthy. We are all cheering you on in this forum. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Looks like you know what you did and what you need to do! You got this. I can tell by that positive, can do attitude! Get back on your horse and ride into the sunset! Cheering you on!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You are so brave to put it all out here! With that kind of personality, I know you can get healthy again, and who cares if that's a size 4. (Size 4 sounds really crazy and hard to maintain to me.) I too love wine, and I know if I cut if out I'd lose my pesky 5 pounds. Totally empty calories. But I think most of us have addictive personalities, or we wouldn't have gotten fat, and alcohol is just something else to get addicted to.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

In some ways its great to read this post because it shows the problems that any of us could have. i think you are still a rock star!!!! Your positive attitude, resiliance and determination are going to take you far. I can't say too much because i havent even had my surgery yet but I can see your fire! Yes! Go get em :-)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth: I think you are very brave!
    Thank you for sharing this.
    I'm convinced you will loose again.
    You have a beautiful, positive attitude, which will help you every step of the way!
    You can do this.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, Jess, girl.

Welcome back.

And yes, I know what that "switch" feels like. It's a bit magical, isn't it?

xoxoxoxoxo

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    11/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Marsden
    Last Activity
    10-08-2020 08:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Jessie, your post is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Slim Shady is back!.. Knowing what happened is so important. I always told myself that I didn't eat that much but had 4 glasses of wine. Empty calories are ugly little suckers. You will do so well. At least this is not new ground for you, you did it before and you can do it again. Go Slim!!!