Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Way Out!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Easy Way Out!

I cringe overtime I read people saying that sleeve surgery is not the easy way out. I totally disagree, this whole journey was EASY and fun. (Now I was blessed to have no complications, so my experience may have been different than yours, so don't be mad at me.) But I think it's important to tell newbies that losing weight CAN be easy after the sleeve.

After spending a LIFETIME dieting, spending zillions of dollars to keep Weight Watchers in business, taking phen-phen that could damage my heart, being so embarrassed at how I looked at my son and daughter's weddings, my life was miserable before the sleeve. I think I looked about 20 years older. Everything hurt all the time. My continual dieting attempts were anything but easy, they made me depressed and miserable, feeling like a total failure.

Then I heard about the sleeve. I had never known anyone that had it done, but was sold after a presentation by my surgeon. I did it! I followed every rule. The weight fell off. Now I'm a regular sized, healthier person. My new eating lifestyle and exercise regiment has become a habit, so it's no big deal at all. Life is wonderful! I totally took the easy way out.

Anyone out there lost all their weight in an easier way?

Now be nice if you have a different opinion than me...

PS If my youngest son could just find a girlfriend, I will look good at his wedding!!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Carl Weiss
    Last Activity
    08-22-2019 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times

Default Re: Easy Way Out!

I know that I am early on in my journey but I disagree. It is not easy or fun. The physical changes do get easier as time passes but the mental and emotional aspects are difficult. Some people struggle more than others. My recovery was rough from day one and my mental struggle remains the single most difficult thing I have dealt with. I realise that things will change as time goes by but to say that this surgery is the easy way out completely invalidates what I am experiencing. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but it feels that way to me. I also think that those of us who are sleeved need to be truthful to the people who are pre op or are considering this surgery. I don't want to scare anyone away and that is not my intention. Things are not always sunshine and rainbows. I truly believe that part of the preoperative education should include the chances that some people can suffer depressive episodes after surgery,especially if you have been prone to depression prior to surgery. I am not saying that things will one hundred percent turn out badly after surgery but we need to be honest about both the good and the bad. I think that was one thing that was missing from my preoperative preparation. No one talked about the difficulties that could happen.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I'm actually grateful for these two different perspectives. I'm nearly 64 and I, too, have spent more money than I can count on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Phentermine, etc. When I went to my GP for my pre-op check up I asked him if he had any concerns and he said, "You've done your due diligence. You have tried everything else possible. Your best chance of having good health for the next 20 years is to get that weight off and this is the best way to do it."

I do appreciate that there will be some challenges. My surgery is 10 days before Thanksgiving and my family will all be home. I've place my order for a pre-made dinner(first time ever) and am prepared to miss some of that joy that comes around the hour+ long lunch. But I will be thankful to be starting my new life, one in which I don't hide behind family members in photos or miss events because I don't want others to see me. That takes a mental toll, too, and I'm tired of paying it.

So thanks for both the encouragement and the warning. I needed both as I head into this last stretch.

DHB

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

2 great perspectives there. My experience so far has been on the easier side, I too was very fortunate not to have any complications and took to this TOOL like a fish to water. However, I agree that the mental side is a BIG PIECE of the picture here and the mind needs to be right going into it. It took me over 2 years of deliberating whether to have it or not have it. Learn all you can about it before hand, there are tons of resources out there, including this site. I am only 8 months out so who knows what may happen in the next year but so far so good as they say. Best of luck to everyone.

Regards,

Tommy

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

9. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I was a classic yo-yo dieter with a body prone to storing fat due to insulin resistance.

Prior to the sleeve, I had lost (and regained) massive amounts of weight at least five times in my 36 years of existence. I've lost 30, regained 60, lost 60, regained 100, lost 65, regained 50, lost 55, regained 90+, rinse/repeat.

Each old-fashioned weight loss attempt left me fraught with cravings, hunger, fixation on food, fatigue, and other nasty issues.

Compared to two decades of yo-yo dieting that started at age 15, the sleeve has been the 'easy way out' for me. My cravings, hunger, fatigue and food fixations are gone. I've been able to keep weight off for the first time in my adult life.

While the maintenance phase requires some work, the sleeve has made things easier and increased my chances for a lifetime of success. If people consider this the 'easy way out,' so be it.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    I'm actually grateful for these two different perspectives. I'm nearly 64 and I, too, have spent more money than I can count on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Phentermine, etc. When I went to my GP for my pre-op check up I asked him if he had any concerns and he said, "You've done your due diligence. You have tried everything else possible. Your best chance of having good health for the next 20 years is to get that weight off and this is the best way to do it."

I do appreciate that there will be some challenges. My surgery is 10 days before Thanksgiving and my family will all be home. I've place my order for a pre-made dinner(first time ever) and am prepared to miss some of that joy that comes around the hour+ long lunch. But I will be thankful to be starting my new life, one in which I don't hide behind family members in photos or miss events because I don't want others to see me. That takes a mental toll, too, and I'm tired of paying it.

So thanks for both the encouragement and the warning. I needed both as I head into this last stretch.

DHB
    I think my surgery is the same date as yours DHB! Kinda nice to know someone else on the same date. I appreciate these different perspectives too. I have no idea obviously what it will be like for me and I think it's probaly totally individual for everyone. I like to think it will be good and that it will be the thing that helps me in a natural progression to good health. I've put a lot of things in place over the last few years with sport and healthy eating and this hopefully will be the last step.
    I think it must be very difficult for some people for sure because we are all individual and particulary for people who suffer with depression afterwards, it must be hard. So i agree there is no 'easy' way out but it may be easier for some than others. I dont think anyone should feel invalidated and everyone has got their own journey in this. The nice thing is that there is support on this board for everyone wherever they may be at and i wish everyone the most sucess in their 'own' journey xx

14. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by knp76 View Post
    I know that I am early on in my journey but I disagree. It is not easy or fun. The physical changes do get easier as time passes but the mental and emotional aspects are difficult. Some people struggle more than others. My recovery was rough from day one and my mental struggle remains the single most difficult thing I have dealt with. I realise that things will change as time goes by but to say that this surgery is the easy way out completely invalidates what I am experiencing. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but it feels that way to me. I also think that those of us who are sleeved need to be truthful to the people who are pre op or are considering this surgery. I don't want to scare anyone away and that is not my intention. Things are not always sunshine and rainbows. I truly believe that part of the preoperative education should include the chances that some people can suffer depressive episodes after surgery,especially if you have been prone to depression prior to surgery. I am not saying that things will one hundred percent turn out badly after surgery but we need to be honest about both the good and the bad. I think that was one thing that was missing from my preoperative preparation. No one talked about the difficulties that could happen.
    Sorry you're having a tough time, I did mention my experience may be different than yours. But it could also be perspective, as you are 37 days from surgery and I am 1,473 days from surgery. Maybe I'm looking at the bigger picture. (Tinman I need you!) I do know my positive attitude helped me immensely. I was over-the-moon happy to be on a journey to FINALLY lose my weight. Let's talk again after you lose 100 pounds and let me know if you are feeling better.

Is it possible you need to see someone for depression? My psychiatrist says he sees depression sometimes after weight loss surgery. I know your last post talked a lot about "failure" and "I want to give up." Seeing the sleeve is permanent, there's no turning back, so maybe you need professional help. Many people here seek help and are thrilled with their results. Just a thought...

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Yup. Overall, easy way out of being a fat person. I struggled for years of yo-yo dieting. Exercising so much I had time for nothing else. My weight going up and down so much I had entire wardrobes in every size imaginable. I basically had no complications. Was it always easy? No. But it has been way easier than anything I have ever done to try to get healthy. I have been pretty much euphoric since surgery. Got a little frustrated at my first stall but never felt any type of sadness. I did A LOT of research before getting sleeved. I did see that there are lots of side affects to include hormonal issues causing mood changes and depression. All the information is out there as long as we take the time to research it. I think that is why insurance requires a psychological evaluation to ensure we can handle it.
    So while I definitely think it was the easy way...there are some hard parts too. We are taking a risk by having a major surgery. We risk complications. There are some times that we deal with some uncomfortable things. Like my almost 10 months of constipation. LOL. That learning curve to not eat too fast or too much. I don't want to go back to those uncomfortable, painful cramps and nausea. The hair loss. The saggy skin. But when all is said and done...I am thrilled I had my sleeve surgery. I absolutely love it. I love my new healthy life. I would not change it for a thing. It was overall the easy way out and I am glad I took it!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Being three years out, I think the surgery was relatively easy, but I had no complications and followed the food progression plan as instructed and was ready to make a lifestyle change. I was well prepared for the possible mental and hormonal issues that may have occurred. The memory of first couple weeks of clear liquids and soft food are just a blur. A positive attitude goes a long way.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    03/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verboonen
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

So far I definitely feel it has been the easy way out for me. I have never been able to stick to a diet and ever reach my goal. It always seemed hopeless and daunting knowing it would take me a year to ever reach my goal and torturing myself with trying to find things I liked to eat that were on the diet. Not to mention the money spent on these diets. I was constantly hungry and food was all I could ever think about. With the surgery I didn't have the constant hunger and cravings. It made it so much easier. Yes it was tough, especially the first couple of months but has been by far my most successful attempt at weight loss. I enjoy exercise and I enjoy being able to shop in normal clothing stores. I don't sit and obsess about food anymore as I don't have the hunger pains. I do have the mental hunger pains and admit I have caved to them but nothing like I used to. I still have a long ways to go as old habits are creeping back and I am grazing again. I need to put a stop to it now before it becomes habit again and I start obsessing about food like I used to on previous diets. I was self pay for my surgery but worth every penny. I know what I have spent in the past on all these other diets and what I would continue to spend in the future and this was by far the less expensive way to do it.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Interesting perpective this...
    Is or isn't an easy way out.
    I must admit, I never looked at it from your angle.
    But, come to think about it, maybe overall it is not easy, but also not exactly hard either.
    Loosing the weight was always easy.
    I did every stupid diet there was, and on just willpower I always lost a lot of weight.
    That I fainted in the proces, or had severe vitamin deficiencies, o well, who bothers...
    I lost the weight and that was all that mattered to me.
    Was it easy?
    Actually, surprisingly, yes.
    I could do it.
    But I never maintained the weightloss.

Now, I had the surgery, had some complications, but I'm still alive.
    Recovery was speedy, the first few weeks were not the easiest, but you get used to the regime.
    The weight just fell off.
    That was easy as well.

The comparison has yet to come.
    I just started maintaining.

The regime though is much stricter now.
    Not eating was not hard for me, eating six times a day demands more of my attention.
    Also the separation between eating and drinking is still no routine.
    Sometimes I forget to eat.
    Sometimes I forget to drink.

Is that hard?
    No, not really.
    But it does keep me busy.
    And with that schedule I also need to find time to exercise, which I never did.
    So for me that would be the hard part, the timing of it all.

Having said that, I realise that losing the weight and keeping it off this time, is not as hard as I thought it would be.
    It demands dsicipline.

When I heard people talk about the easy way out, I always felt a little offended (or maybe a lot...)
    But come to think of it, there defenitely is an element of truth in there somewhere.
    For me, they are not completely right, but also not completely wrong either.

That now changes the way I feel.
    I don't have to choose to feel offended anymore.
    My response to those people can be different from now on.

Thank you for this eye opener!
    Wow!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times

DutchSleeve,
    Your English is great and I love your posts. Keep them up. You've already given me advice I can use.
    And you are so right. I've lost so much weight. But then it came back, and always a bit more. So maintenance is the issue and I look forward to losing and then maintaining.
    Keep offering your thoughts and don't be at all worried about your English.
    DHB

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so excited though! I just cant wait!!!!!

28. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    I am so excited though! I just cant wait!!!!!
    Seriously? Isn't FINALLY finding a way to lose weight and keep it off exciting! You will be thrilled beyond your wildest dreams. (I know I thought I would be obese my entire life.)

30. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times

Sraebaer,
    Thanks so much for your uplifting posts. You are such an encouragement and echo so many of my feelings. I'm so grateful to have you sharing your experience here. Please hang in there with those of us about to take the big plunge!
    DHB

32. Said thanks: