I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Angstadt
    Last Activity
    10-19-2017 06:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Has anyone's arthritis or other health issues improved after getting the gastric sleeve?

I have a specifically unknown autoimmune disease (thoroughly tested but it seems to fall under a blanket of immunological disorders) and have daily pain in my muscles, joints and nerves. I am hoping that weight loss from the gastric sleeve will improve this to a, hopefully, significant degree. But I've seen a few vlogs where the people have had a brief reprieve from their pain after the surgery only to have the pain return same as before.

I really hope to get into working out (slowly at first, of course) soon after the surgery but if my pain is the same I don't know how I will cope.

So my question is has anyone been in this situation as well? Did your pain improve or even disappear after surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone's arthritis or other health issues improved after getting the gastric sleeve?

I just had/have regular old garden variety arthritis. And my pains / aches / immobility have almost completely disappeared. My arthritis manifested mostly in my knees. But after losing 100 pounds my knees (that I was getting ready to replace surgically) are doing just fine. They don't bend much more than 90 degrees. But I can walk for days and dance for hours without any discomfort.

Caveat: I know nothing about autoimmune diseases.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Has anyone's arthritis or other health issues improved after getting the gastric sleeve?

I would think losing weight would help, because there will be so much less weight/pressure on your muscles, joints, and nerves. But I sure can't give advice on your disease.

I know my feet always used to hurt, and now they never hurt. All that weight on those poor feet.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Unfortunately I don't have any sage words concerning autoimmune diseases and VSG, but from a pain perspective, I used to have back, knee, feet pain continuously. I lived on a regiment of advil/Tylenol/Aleve. I have no pain issues after having lost 100lbs. I have not taken any pain medications since surgery! I would think that losing weight would help your pain issues just from a "less weight" on your joints and connective tissues.

It definitely can't make it worse (no?).
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-08-2018 06:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a pretty intensely long history with chronic low back pain post 2 failed back surgeries, have posterior tibial tendinitis in both ankles, had four unrelated foot surgeries, have arthritis in both hands, have had 2 right knee surgeries and here's what I have to say about medical marijuana products like this here in bonzaseeds.com/blog/blueberry-haze/.. some of it is like using whatever over the counter stuff works best for your pain if there is something that does. Some isn't made with any THC and some is (depends on who is making it). You can get either one. If for any reason you have to drug test don't do it having had used something with THC in it. Whether it works for one person or not is probably pretty subjective though I have heard a lot of people say it does work for their discomforts. I find it helps my hands/fingers re arthritis. For my low back I often use a Thermacare heatwrap (has magnets) and that seems to help me quite a bit. I don't think medical marijuana properties or ointment is snake oil tho I would suggest getting it from a reputable collective or person knowledgeable in this industry. Good luck!!!! Whatever helps you to keep moving and stay functional and isn't creating worse problems for you! Medical marijuana products is pretty benign from what I can tell so if it works for you that's great!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

All that weight on your bones, muscles, joints and nerves causes pressure on your body and hurts. I know nothing about your disease, however I believe losing weight will show an improvement. When I lost all my weight so many aches and pains went away. The biggest thing that used to hurt was my feet; now they are pain free.

And if working out right after surgery is painful, don't do it. Wait until you've lost some weight and can exercise without hurting. Maybe some type of water exercise? My exercise of choice is good old-fashioned walking, you can start out slow, short distances and then work on speeding up and longer distances over time.

Best of luck to you!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaniDee View Post
    I have a specifically unknown autoimmune disease (thoroughly tested but it seems to fall under a blanket of immunological disorders) and have daily pain in my muscles, joints and nerves. I am hoping that weight loss from the gastric sleeve will improve this to a, hopefully, significant degree. But I've seen a few vlogs where the people have had a brief reprieve from their pain after the surgery only to have the pain return same as before.

I really hope to get into working out (slowly at first, of course) soon after the surgery but if my pain is the same I don't know how I will cope.

So my question is has anyone been in this situation as well? Did your pain improve or even disappear after surgery?
    DanieDee, I have genetic hereditary mutation that focus on autoimmune diseases, so in a short word, YES. In the 4 months (and 2 days) since my VGS, I have had no need of pain meds for arthritis type issues in my hands & shoulders, nor of my angina medication (which I needed 24/7 and which was like throwing a cotton ball to stop a truck).

In addition, I was taking 17 meds daily, now down to 4 plus vitamins. (I take synthroid, Viibryd {crazy med}, Clopidgrel & a statin). Since part of my packages has included being at risk for 7 kinds of cancer. Since 4 have manifested, the chemo/radiation treatments exacerbated some of my other health issues. BUT feeling hugely better, and making my first solo car trip in the last 5 years.

By blood sugar/trigycerides went from 295 to 93; my cholesterol (bad) is 77; good is 45. I've never had better numbers, nor felt better in years.

If it will help my 65 year self, I'm sure you will see some long term improvement.

I am quite convinced (no statistics) that the elimination of sugar and white foods is one of the keys to better health.
    Best of luck. Sorry if this was TMI.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

My mom has arthritis but she is getting better with the medicine prescribed by her doctor.

Gastric Sleeve Member KarennJames's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2021
    Surgeon
    Gonenko
    Last Activity
    12-27-2022 10:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Medicine doesn't always help my sister.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-25-2021 03:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I hope she is alright now

Gastric Sleeve Member hardomobin's Avatar
    Last Activity
    06-16-2022 12:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I hope she is alright now

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-02-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ovidiumark View Post
    Fortunately no
    Yes