Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default 5 days Post-Op and Struggling a little bit

First of all, my surgery went very well. According to my doctor, I was the perfect patient. I have no other health conditions besides slight HBP at times. I was in and out within 45 minutes for the operation and in the hospital for 2 days. No matter how much I read, there were 2 things that I wasn't prepared for - the pain and the complete lack of appetite. I have to force myself to drink and take protein shakes and I am barely getting 64 ounces. I don't do well with pain meds as they make me loopy and nauseous but I didn't realize that I can never again take Advil, only Tylenol. If I ever hear anyone say surgery is the easy way out again, they are going to get an earful. While I don't regret my decision, I am wondering when my life will be semi-normal again. Thanks for listening.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Missy1974's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fridman
    Last Activity
    05-10-2018 02:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 days Post-Op and Struggling a little bit

some are close in 6 months some i think took a year or more .. and still wont be what it was .. but will be better then is now

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you are struggling and from what I've read the first week can be really tough.

I'm pre-op but I am writing down all the things I don't like about life now and all the things I'm missing because my extra weight makes me ashamed, frustrated, unable to participate. I'm doing this because I know I might feel like you do immediately post-op and wonder why I did it. But I also know that I'm willing to go through quite a bit in order to have a better life. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Hoping each day gets easier for you. Please keep posting so you can help those of us who are right behind you.
    DHB

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Pattimelt's Avatar
    Name
    Patti
    Surgery date
    04/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2018 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,988 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times

I’m sorry you’re having a tough time right now, but it WILL pass.

By three months out, you’ll be back to normal and mostly healed. It is NOT the easy way out. You have to respect your new tool and work hard to eat wisely. It does take a few weeks to start getting your liquids and protein in, so be patient with yourself. And appreciate the fact that you don’t have hunger!

I wish you all the best, hang in there!

Cheers, Patti
    It's never too late to be what you might have been . . .

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tea
    Surgery date
    09/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Krikhely
    Last Activity
    02-09-2018 11:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi. Any kind of surgery is hard and it comes with pain. You have to allow your body to heal, try not to do to much.
    I also had a hard time with my fluids intake. I was in the hospital for three days. It will get easier. When I got home
    From the hospital my pain meds wasn’t ready, I called my doctor and he told me I can buy liquid Tylenol until I
    Get my meds and it worked. I really can’t stress enough how you much let your body heal. I don’t know you life
    But please rest.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Hi,

It will get easier! You just have to take it one day at a time and some days are better than others. This is not the easy way out and those who say it have no clue.

Blessings!

A

14. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

IT will get easier.. You say you are having trouble with the protein shakes? You are only 5 days out.. Most surgeons have their patients on clear fluids for the first week. Maybe you are going to fast drink protein shakes so soon.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your wise idea of journaling your way through this process! As everyone on the journey knows, it's not an easy way, just a very impressive tool to make a difference in our life. I'm at 10 days out, and have lost 21 lbs during pre-op till today. No pain except gas, and just having a dickens of a time getting down protein shakes. Aagh! Are you doing anything good for yourself during your month before surgery?
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

18. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm 4 years out and I can promise your life will be totally normal! You will forget these early days and be a healthy, regular-sized person. It's sort of like having a baby, pain for a while, but then an amazing gift that will change your life forever. I was lucky to have hardly any pain, didn't use the pain meds they sent me home with. Maybe just Tylenol will do it for you if the pain meds make you feel weird.

I was on protein shakes from day one, had my first in the hospital. I can't imagine having any energy on clear liquids, but I know other doctors do that. I liked Isopure better than the creamy shakes, there are a lot of options out there. You could go to the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and buy one of whatever looks good to see what you like the best.

Good luck and feel better soon. This journey is really is fun, trust me. Just got home from breakfast with hubby, had the heart-healthy scramble: egg whites with green peppers, onions, and tomatoes. I could eat it all, just left the toast on my plate. Now I'm going to take a hike while hubby is golfing. It's cooled off so will be perfect. Sun shining, fall colors, life is good.

PS: I did think this was the easy way! Easy and fun! I tried every other way to lose weight and nothing worked.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tracey111's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brendan Marr
    Last Activity
    03-02-2019 10:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

My doctor said I could start protein shakes upon my discharge from the hospital. I am also trying to drink Protein 2O water. I actually didn't take my pain pills today and went grocery shopping today. Slowly but surely.....

22. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Also want to point out that everyone is different. I had to try like 5 different brands of shakes and favors to find one I could stomach. I couldn't handle the ones that were "Foamy" I found one of the only ones I could keep down was EAS Whey protein. I really like strawberry shakes but the EAS strawberry was way to artifical tasting. I get the EAS vanilla and stir in some hersey's sugar free syrup. If you don't like one shake try another. GNC and Smoothie king sell single serve packets to try them. i also liked GNC's vegan shake.. it's called lean25 or something with lean in the name.

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tomgearhart's Avatar
    Name
    Tom Gearhart
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matt Fourman
    Last Activity
    10-09-2018 04:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 193 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tracey111 View Post
    First of all, my surgery went very well. According to my doctor, I was the perfect patient. I have no other health conditions besides slight HBP at times. I was in and out within 45 minutes for the operation and in the hospital for 2 days. No matter how much I read, there were 2 things that I wasn't prepared for - the pain and the complete lack of appetite. I have to force myself to drink and take protein shakes and I am barely getting 64 ounces. I don't do well with pain meds as they make me loopy and nauseous but I didn't realize that I can never again take Advil, only Tylenol. If I ever hear anyone say surgery is the easy way out again, they are going to get an earful. While I don't regret my decision, I am wondering when my life will be semi-normal again. Thanks for listening.
    Hi Tracey11...

I had my surgery on October 2nd. I STILL have no appetite and have to force the protein shakes down, too. However, what's wrong with that? Being hungry and poor choices is what got me to 505 pounds. With a few rough days with the pain (I ditched the oxicodene after the third day), I too couldn't take Advil or Alieve anymore. So what? The Tylenol seems to be doing the trick.

Hang in there and it gets better minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day. I start the pureed foods regimen tomorrow. I tried a few baby food samples and just about heaved them. I am going to take three protein shakes a day with 1% milk. Our protein shakes are 28 grams of protein per one full scoop and the 8 ounces of 1% milk has 8 grams for a total of 93 grams of protein. I will then try to choke down some of the pureed food. I bought a good blender and will try some chicken with either broth or gravy. And, some hummus...yum!

Believe me, on day 5 I was wondering too....until I saw the scales!

I think you're doing great!!!!

Starting weight: 505
    Surgery weight: 464.....41.....41 pounds lost
    2-weeks after: 445.....19.....60 pounds lost
    3-weeks after: 439..... 6.....66 pounds lost
    4-weeks after: 435..... 4.....70 pounds lost
    2-months after: 424......11....81 pounds lost
    3-months after: 405......19...100 pounds lost....exactly!
    4-months after: 385......20...120 pounds lost

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The first week is the hardest so hang in there. So I was not getting in enough fluids or protein in the beginning either. I just kept sipping away. I had no appetite either. But I read that on here so I was prepared for that. For me, warm fluids were easier. I would drink warm tea, creamed soups made with nonfat milk, broth, sugar free popsicles. I could not tolerate the protein shakes for the first 2 weeks or so. The sweetness was nauseating. Just keep sipping. Also, remember all fluids count. I did just fine and had no issues. I kept sipping as much as I could. As soon as I could tolerate my protein shakes again I was on them. I found EAS Advant Edge Carb Control shakes worked better for me. They have less protein (15g) but I would drink more of them. I found the ones with higher protein like Premier (30 g) would make me queasy. So really, you have to find the ones that work for you. Some people like the protein water drinks. I personally found them disgusting. So trial and error. Your appetite will come back but it will be a while. I am almost a year post op. I have hit goal and then some. I lead a very normal life. I can socialize with no issues. I was sleeved 3 November. I was able to fake it through Thanksgiving and Christmas at huge family gatherings with no one being the wiser. You get creative. Now I eat enough that I do not have to fake it. My life is pretty grand!

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

The first week was a tough one. I had to focus on getting my water and protein shake down and had a schedule of how much I needed to consume every 15 minutes. The first 3 days were not fun, and I had buyers remorse. By 3 weeks I had a routine down and it was much better. I was feeling fine and human again by 4 weeks.

Keep up the good work, it does get better and you won't even remember how tough it was once you start to see the results!

Good luck!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

30. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Last Activity
    05-17-2018 04:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

This is like I'm reading my very own post Sleeved 2.5 weeks ago approx. Same experience post op re not expecting that pain. Although I wasnt hungry I really craved my favourite tastes. It put me in a bit of funk knowing I couldnt have it. Cravings getting better. Having the same post op thoughts but members are very reassuring. We will get there!!!!!

32. Said thanks: