Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-20-2017 12:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New & nervous! (Need advice)

Hello all! I've been struggling with my weight since I was a child with my heaviest being 230lb and my lightest being 135lb (I wasn't able to maintain that.) I'm 5'4.I have PCOS and lost an ovary/ Fallopian tube the last year and since then, the weight has been piling on. (I usually do low carb, but it isn't as effective anymore. I also exercise. My bmi isn't high enough for insurance to cover and since I'm a flight attendant that can fly for little to nothing, I'm looking at Tijuana. I've been corresponding with weightlossagents.com & can make $4,000 work. But, I've gotten increasingly nervous with what "stories" I found about the referred surgeon Dr Almanza. The company has told me that it was meritless claims, but I'm still so nervous. Should I go with the other surgeon, Dr Hernandez? Anyone have experience with either surgeon or know any details about the claims and whether they seem true or not?

Thank you for your time!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Default Re: New & nervous! (Need advice)

I had the surgery nearing 3 years ago, in Nashville TN. My thoughts were, and are, that is is a life changing surgery, treat it as such. I was self pay and paid $18,500, and I think I got my money's worth. I stayed 3 days in the hospital, lots and lots of follow up. I don't understand how some do this on an outpatient basis. However I would look to a country other than Mexico if I were going out of the country. Israel or Japan maybe? Many of the European countries have very high quality health care systems, as does Panama. I don't think there is the tracking and safety infrastructure built around health care in Mexico as is in more developed countries.

That said, I know some here will disagree, I am not an expert on going to Mexico for the surgery, so I respect others positions. But for me, a Mexican surgeon, who works out of a outpatient clinic, doing this surgery would scare the hell out of me.

It's a big deal, I would have taken a second mortgage out on my home if needed, or used credit cards. Again, I know others disagree, and I respect that.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Mr Ackroyd
    Last Activity
    06-10-2018 01:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am 2 days post op and if I didn't have 101% faith in my surgeon I would not have it done, I have had major pain and discomfort if anyone made you think the surgery was a walk in the park ..it isn't now I have a chest infection but I'm still here under their care untill well enough to go home ...hope that will be in the morning yours is a sad story but without getting shouted at can you get to a bmi where you can have it done near home xx

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    BG
    Surgery date
    10/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Villarreal
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I was going to go with Dr. Almanza but I read he does many many procedures in a day. I would not want to be #9 of 9. I looked for someone who prefers to only schedule like 3. I am going to Nuevo Laredo. I have surgery 10-19. Hope this helps

Surgery date
    11/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-14-2018 04:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Hi! I'm new too! I just set my sleeve surgery thru weightlossagents.com and am having my stomached sleeved on November 9th. With Dr. Almanza
    Being 100% honest I like that he does a bunch of surgeries a day. I don't need to be coddled feel special I just want this done and go back home asap.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I paid $14,000 in the states, but that was 4 years ago so it's probably gone up. I looked at is as about half the price of a new car, and I'm worth much more than a car. Some people take out loans.

In addition, most people here who didn't do it in the states are very happy with their Mexico experience. I've only heard a few horror stories, like a guy knocking on your hotel room door to sell you pain meds, or even a very long flight home with connections after major surgery. I, personally, would be scared to death to do that, I preferred the hospital a few minutes from home. (5 minutes to my own bed!). But do your research, you will hear from so many people THRILLED with their surgery in Mexico. Do what works for you, we are all different.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

You might think you can't get insurance coverage but many practices will work with you if your BMI is close to document other conditions (sleep apnea, etc.) that then make you qualified for coverage. I was prepared to pay personally but by working with my doctor, I am now going to have my surgery one month from today with a cap on my out of pocket expenses of $500. Interestingly, my insurance company required me to go to a "center of excellence" so instead of having my procedure at my local hospital, I am going to Johns Hopkins. At first I was annoyed but now I feel additional security because they have such a high level of care. I know many people in this forum have used the two doctors you mention so I'll let them comment but don't give up on insurance coverage just because of your BMI.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

There are many, many sleevers on here who used Dr. Almanza and loved him. I went through insurance and still paid about $8 plus had to get to my $1500 deductible first. In retrospect, I wish I had used a Mexico surgeon. It would have been faster and cheaper.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Use your insurance to go through all of the pre-surgery workups. Then let the insurance decide whether or not to cover the actual surgery. The tests should be covered by your insurance (check first) and you will have a decent package for whichever Dr. you go to in the long run. I know a couple of people that went through all the pre-surgery test and were denied the actual surgery. The insurance paid for all the pre work (thousands of dollars). One person I know appealed the decision and won, the other went to Mexico for surgery.

I had surgery here in the USA. I paid approx. $1500 out of pocket. I don't know if I would have gone to Mexico for surgery if I had been denied. I knew I would get approved though since I had multiple co-morbidities.

Hope this helps.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

13. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-04-2018 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to but in but how was your experience with Dr. Villareal? He is on my list of possible doctors.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    BG
    Surgery date
    10/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Villarreal
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

It was great. His English is near perfect. His assistant, Karen was very kind and attentive. I have emailed since and he called to discuss my question. Nutritionist was awesome too. I would recommend him. He only does like at most, 3 surgeries a day. Some do like 10. Being a nurse, I would not want to be number 8,9,10.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    BG
    Surgery date
    10/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Villarreal
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I did exactly the same thing and changed from Dr. Almanza to Dr. Villareal in Nuevo Laredo Mexico. Dr. Almanza does many many surgeries in a day and as a nurse I know I do not want to be #11 or whatever. Dr. Villareal was awesome. Great english. Assistant is sweet and helpful and I was the only surgery that day.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I had mine done in NC -- the dr is about 10 minutes from me, with traffic. He has all the US bells & whistles, and since I've had 14 major surgeries in my lifetime, including a triple heart bypass, I did a lot of research. My insurance wouldn't pay, so mine was a bit over $13,000.

However, I had a complication (not unusual with my chronic health/age of 65) and had a second surgery the same day, and was very glad to be close to home. That said, many people go to Mexico and have great results.

You should follow your "instincts" as well as do your research. At 3 months, I feel great! And see the doc tomorrow. All my blood work follow ups have been normal, or amazingly good.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I went through Dr. Almanza and had a fantastic experience. You can read about it on my blog. I will try to copy it for you here.

https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=30821