Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Is regain inevitable?

I want to post this question here, because I hear very mixed things about maintaining after hitting goal.
    I know there are many veterans here.
    There don't seem to be at Dutch forums.

I have hit goal, lost a bit more and I'm now between 118 and 119 lbs.
    That is fine for me.
    I eat low carb and I am upping my calories and carbohydrates, to find a balance between regain and maintaining.
    Currently I eat around 1200 cals and 45 grams of carbs per day.
    And that really fills me up.
    But the longer I am post op (9 months now), the more I'll be able to eat, so I don't see that as problematic.

But here is my qustion:
    Is regain inevitable or is it possible to reallly maintain the same weight, within a couple of pounds?
    I am not talking about making the wrong food choices, but eating the same healthy foods, but maybe a bit more eventually.

My rolmodel here is Ann2, who is a couple of years older than I am, but still maintains her weight within a small margin.
    When you stay focused and continue to make the right choices, isn't that enough to maintain?
    Or is everybody different and are there people who gain, while others stay the same?

I have been told, that I wíll regain, because my body will adapt to the way I eat, even if I continue to make the right choices and maintain the same discipline I do now.
    And, truth be told, that really freaks me out...

Any thoughts?
    Thanks for helping me out, that is so much appreciated!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Is regain inevitable?

NOOOOOOO! Regain is not inevitable. It is possible if you don't continue the healthy lifestyle that you learned while losing. At 4 years out I'm up 5 pounds, have been for 9 months, but am determined to get back to goal. I eat right, weigh myself daily, and exercise. A lot.

It would be easy to regain. You could eat more. You get hungry. You could graze on junk all day. Your choice! Though I can't imagine anyone who has lost a huge amount of weight let themselves gain it all back. It feels too good to be a regular sized, healthy person. No way am I going back. Not to mention my husband would kill me after paying for the surgery and a huge closet full of new clothes!!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thank you sooo much!
    I am really strict in my routine.
    But that suits me and I really don't mind.
    People keep telling me, that it normal and even good to "loosen up" and make less than healthy choices.
    I don't need those things.
    I don't crave chips, cookies, pizza, popcorn, alcohol etc.
    So why take it?
    "Because that is part of a normal life" people keep telling me.
    And also I will not be able to keep doing, what I am doing now, because "that is too strict".
    But really, I like it this way...

I just wonder now, what lays ahead of me and I'm starting to get cold feet...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

O, and btw: it is not that my food is boring or anything.
    I love to cook, find new recipes, trying things out.
    I just love my veggies.
    I don't eat very many sweet things, I never did.
    The only sweet thing I eat is my proteďne bar.

I enjoy the way I eat... and the same goes for mu DH, he also has no complaints...
    It's just that I get really unsure now, and that is so out of character for me...

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Insecure I mean..

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Thank you sooo much!
    I am really strict in my routine.
    But that suits me and I really don't mind.
    People keep telling me, that it normal and even good to "loosen up" and make less than healthy choices.
    I don't need those things.
    I don't crave chips, cookies, pizza, popcorn, alcohol etc.
    So why take it?
    "Because that is part of a normal life" people keep telling me.
    And also I will not be able to keep doing, what I am doing now, because "that is too strict".
    But really, I like it this way...

I just wonder now, what lays ahead of me and I'm starting to get cold feet...
    Sounds like you're on track to fantastic results! Don't listen to people to tell you to "loosen up." Do what works for YOU!

11. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

I really appreciate your questions. Even though I am far from goal, I want to know what to plan for. My initial plan has been to stay strict to the eating schedule and try not to stray from it, no matter what. If I can develop the discipline now, I should be able to maintain it over the rest of my life. Ignore the ones that tell you to loosen up, they may just be jealous and secretly hoping for you to fail.
    Linda 51

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Is regain inevitable?

HELL, NO!

Thanks for the compliment, by the way. <3

I've certainly worked my sleeve and worked at changing my lifestyle permanently. I'm very, very committed to remaining healthy and at a normal weight. The rewards of maintaining are even higher (for me) than losing the weight. I've never, ever, ever maintained a weight loss before in my life. And now I'm coming up on two years at the same weight.

OK, big secret to reveal here. I was going to write a post about this but haven't had time to do so, but the short version is that on my Third Surgiversary, August 28, 2017, I decided I was going to go all out and eat (gulp!) 8 vegetables and fruits a day. And I've been able to do so pretty well. That's six weeks of 8 V/Fs daily (well, make that 7 at least).

And guess what?! I've lost another 3 pounds. I'm not eating any fewer calories. But for some reason (for me) the extra fiber and nutrients and whatever is in those little plant-grown foods have resulted in me weighing 131.8 pounds this morning. Truth is I usually weigh more like 132.5 these days.

Anyway, the point is ... don't eat just to lose weight. Eat (and exercise) to become healthier than you've ever been before. This is going to sound a little loony, but eating well and exercising daily is really a lot of fun, once you weigh 100 pounds less than the body you used to try to drag around. Man, that was hell. I don't EVER want to go back to that.

Anyway, HELL, NO, you don't have to regain the excess weight you lose. It's "merely" a matter of commitment and consistent adherence to the new lifestyle you CAN create for yourself.

That is all.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

My sister will be 6 years post op the end of November. She has gained a small amount of weight but did so around 2 years post op but she had gotten under goal and was too thin for a while. She is a normal healthy BMI now. So I think that it is totally possible. Key is to make sure you have set "max" weight and then to spring into action once you hit that. I would say a 5 lb range. Weighing regularly is crucial for me.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the feedback!
    I really was in tears the last couple of days.
    Just sheer panic...
    I thought (and still think) I do so well.
    I weigh daily, track my food, drink my water, exercise, and I am was (am) very happy with the way things go.
    I have absolutely no problem with the way I eat.
    I make healthy choices, eat a lot of veggies, and take my vitamins.

I want to up my calorie and carb intake, but right now, I still don't eat very much per meal.
    That was what got people upset (by lack of a better word).
    I "should" eat more, "should" make poor choices, because "that is real life".

I do understand of course, that some people do those things and they are doing fine.
    But I want to follow the course I am taking right now, because:
    * it works for me
    * I feel terrific!
    * I can maintain this for a long time, because for me, it does not feel like a diet.

I have never, ever been able to maintain my weight.
    I have lost tons of weight during my adult live, with all sorts of diets, but alway gained it right back, with interest.
    That is probably the reason for my uncertainty right now, and that is why I let people confuse me.
    Because I am scared to death.

Ann2: it would be very helpful for me to see what you are eating on an average day.
    Sreabaer: I would also like to see, what you eat in a day.

Would that be possible?

A typical menu for me is:

B: yoghurt with protein granola

S: a large coffeeshake with soy milk and protein powder
    fruit

L: salad with some sort of protein (cheese, fish, vegetarian "meat")

S: Protein bar, home made peanutbutter cookie

D: pumpkin/sweet potato stew with crumbled feta cheese (that was yesterday) or
    a dish with beans, veggies and protein, I love chili con "carne"

S: 16 raw almonds

Breakfast is always the same.
    Lunch and dinner varies, but always veggieg, beans, lentils and some sort of protein.
    I don't eat meat, but sometimes fish (salmon, tuna).

This is worth about 1150 cals, 45 carbs and around 100 grams of protein.
    I don't eat bread, potato's, pasta, white flour- or highly processed foods.
    No sugar, but I do eat Stevia.
    No alcohol, and I don't miss it.
    At least 2,5 litres water every day.

Like I said: I like the way I manage my food right now and I could see myself eating this way for the rest of my life.
    Eventually I will eat more of course, due to the nature of the working of my sleeve.

But I don't see, that I have to change things right now, in order to maintain.
    Does any of you think I should?

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

This is a great thread. I love hearing from the vets out there. Ann2 and Sraebaer you are my inspiration. I am SO frightened of gaining it all back and I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD SURGERY YET! It comes from being on the weight coaster sooo many times! I really appreciate the question and all of your answers. Counting down my days. Can't wait to be on the other side. Lord help me make it through the pre-op all liquid diet. I need suggestions if anyone has any besides grin and bear it.

Gege

19. Said thanks:

DHB

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

DutchSleeve, I think your food choices sound wonderful. Even when I was losing weight I was a big fan of healthy carbs and didn't go the keto/Atkins low-carb route, although many people find that very helpful. I just chose a different thing.

Remember, also, that different people thrive and maintain their weight long-term by eating in ways that are specifically successful for them. I do know people who have found they have to avoid simple (sugary, highly processed) carbs completely. Fortunately, I don't have to. But I don't drown myself in them either! For me, the "balanced, moderation" approach is working. Once again, I emphasize that this is what works for ME! Others' mileage may differ. (I hope I've said that enough times ... .)

In reviewing all this, PLEASE understand that I'm 3+ years post-op. After reaching goal, I took my forays into non-nutritional foods slowly and carefully and repeatedly. Some new choices that I added gradually I found I could deal with OK, e.g., high-fiber whole wheat bread for a lunch sandwich. But others became more of a problem, e.g., daily squares of dark chocolate, and had to be kicked to the curb.

I was much more strict while losing weight. For instance, I didn't drink any alcohol for 9 months. These days, I drink ONLY 5 ounces of wine per day (or 7 5-ounce glasses of wine per week). Now I have one or two biscotti a day (100 calories each), which don't have any nutritional value to speak of; they're just a daily treat, which hubby and I have with our afternoon coffee. What works for you (and what doesn't) will probably be pretty unique to you -- and you HAVE to be responsible and alert enough to recognize what's becoming a trigger food for you and what isn't.

As I said earlier, I'm committing this year (Year Four) to eating 8 veggies and fruits a day. That's half a cup of veggies or fruits and 2 cups of lettuce per serving.

Below are a few images of recent daily menus from my My Fitness Pal records that show what I'm eating these days. However, I keep my MFP records private -- don't want that kind of scrutiny from others. Oh ... and I also eat the same thing for breakfast most mornings. I also have my favorite lunches that are in constant rotation.

MFP - 8-8-2017.PNGMFP - 10-10-2017.PNGMFP - 10-11-2017.PNG

P.S. Many of us who've been at this a long time -- sraebaer, Tinman, Merry Mary, jrzygirl, and many others -- understand that we EACH have to find our own formula. Yes, the initial rules certainly apply. But the longer you're at this, the more you appreciate that what worked for you won't necessarily work for everyone. So do NOT let anyone (including me) tell you what YOU should do. You have to do your own "science" on a sample of one -- yourself. Just because someone else can "get away" with eating X or Y or Z doesn't mean that it'll work exactly the same way for you. You're in the driver's seat -- which is both a little scary and very empowering.

P.P.S. I'll also say it could be hard to be around others who are a bit domineering and pushy about what "you should be doing!" You may be polite in rejecting their "orders." Or you can tell them to eff off. But you don't have to take orders from anyone else as long as you're giving yourself the instructions that work best for YOU! Frankly, I've found that the less I tell people in real life about how and what I'm eating, the fewer "instructions" I get from them. Keep your own counsel!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Gege,
    I'm with you. Haven't even had my procedure yet but beginning to worry about "keeping it off." Getting close to my pre-op diet and wondering how I'll manage it (we'll be on vacation part of the time). I think it's years of failure talking. I know how to succeed in many areas of life but not in weight loss. I have a little voice reminding me of the times I had a big success and then gained it all back and more. But this is such an encouraging place and I'm so, so grateful for those who are willing to share their success. And I'm determined that this will be my last vacation where I hide from photos and wear coverups the whole time while others are swimming. We can do it!
    DHB

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thank you!
    I do understand that this is your menu after so many years out, but it was for me just to get an overall idea.
    I don't say I will never go back to eating this like wholeweat bread or other things, but for now this is what works for me.
    I am now in the process of adding foods very gradually.
    First I want to focus on veggies, fruit, legumes, things like that.
    Maybe, over time, when I maintain my weight, I will start to add other things.
    But slowly, very slowly.
    Like I said, I don't mind the disciplin.
    It suits me well and it suits my needs.

It is just that I have gone down this road many, many times before and stumbled every time.
    I am determined to change that.
    I am not going to stumble again.
    Results from the past are no guarantee for the future.

I read, do research, learn and ask for peoples opinions.
    Based on all that I make a plan.
    If that plan does not work, I make adjustments.
    But I usually go my way and walk my path.
    Maybe that is what's bugging some people, I don't know.
    I am not too stubborn to change my course, if needed.
    But I don't take things at face value.
    I can make my own mistakes, I make plenty, but I do learn from that.

The reason I let the opinions of others get to me so much this time, is fear of failure, I guess.
    Fear, based on the fact I have never succeeded in this.
    They are the veterans, the should have the knowledge.
    And truth be said: one of them is maintaining very well, for 4 years now.

I am very glad to have come here, with this question.
    I learned a lot!
    You all have convinced me, that regain is NOT inevitable.
    I'll just go on doing what I do and follow MY plan.
    No need to change that.
    I'll see where it brings me.
    But it is clear to me now, that I will not listen to people, who tell me I can't do it (maintain the weight I want to) and that I will regain.
    They are wrong.
    Thank you!!

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

I was super strict until the end of July, then all hell broke loose.

I'm gaining. But I'm not eating properly or drinking enough.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193