Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-28-2017 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Questions about Insurance Requirements

Hello!

I am new here. :-) I have been considering wls for a long time, but finally decided to take the step. I have my consultation on November 8th. I am reviewing the requirements for surgery set up by my insurance (when I called in they said to simply wait until they get the pre-authorization to determine what I need to do), but online it has a long list of the basics I've read on here... chest x-ray, sleep apnea test, recent blood work for deficiencies, mental health evaluation, etc. I am preparing for the "if I have to do everything".

I already see a psychiatrist and have been since April and before then, I was meeting with a therapist. I also have to be weighed at every psych appointment and had a drug test as a requirement to getting psych treatment. The requirements also state 6 months of counseling prior to surgery. My psych is aware and supportive and my PCP is also aware and supportive of my weightloss. I also had a chest x-ray less than a month ago and additionally had blood work addressing some of their mineral concerns such as TSH for hypothyroidism completed within the last 6 months.

I know every insurance and doctor is different so I know that I'll get different answers, but did anyone have several things already done via PCP or other healthcare provider that counted towards their insurance requirements?

Thank you so much!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions about Insurance Requirements

Yes I had a long list of things to do. I wonder if your psych visits will count as 6 months of supervised weight loss since they weigh you every time?? My insurance required the 6 months. I could not gain weight during that 6 months. I also could not drop below a 40 BMI as none of my comorbidities counted. My appointments also had to be between 31-35 days apart to count. But I did have other requirements like EKG, pysch evaluation, blood testing, nutrition visits etc. I did not have to do a sleep study but see that on here a lot. Good luck. Just make sure you write the requirements down so you can make sure it is all done right.