11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Just got my marching orders.....

Hello everyone!
    Saw the nutritionist yesterday and she told me time to give up the sugar and diet coke. She said I have to do it now so that I don't crave it post surgery and my "taste for sweets" goes away. I'm confused though. She told me to eat fruit. Fruit has sugar, natural sugar but still sugar. So how does giving up the sweets totally, help? Have any of you given up the sweets totally before surgery? Did it help? What's a good replacement?
    It's not like I'm eating TONS of sweets to begin with but, looking at my daily I see her point. I just want to know if this strategy works for diminishing the craving for it. It has to be done either way, to tell you the truth the diet coke and caffeine is going to be the bigger challenge. Thoughts?

Gege

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Just got my marching orders.....

I made big changes in my diet and i started exercising every day before i scheduled the Sleeve surgery. I thought it made it easier to make changes before surgery than wait to make them after. I think it made the whole process easier. Fruit is natural and healthy for you, its full of nutritional value unlike sweets. Listen to your nutritionist they know what there doing. Work on exercising too. I could barely walk up a flight of stairs when i started walking now Ican climb mountains or run for miles or bike ride over 50 miles round trip. I’m no longer diabetic,have high B/P, sleep apnea. Off 6 meds. The sleeve was the best thing I ever did and I feel it saved my life. I’m happy to answer any questions.Good luck
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Hi Gege,
    My doctor & nutritionist are really worried about liver function and size. (Apparently when they do sleeve surgery they have to work around the liver and a big, fatty liver causes problems for doing the surgery.) In any case, I've been told to cut out all alcohol and refined sugar as well as crap carbs (white bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc) because all are bad for my liver. When I started reading up on it, I realized how much damage sugar does to one's liver. Natural sugars don't really affect liver function the same way. I have found that tapering back sugar really does help me crave less. I was at a function recently and I ate a dessert which tasted much sweeter to me than I think it would have in the past. I also notice that the next day I was wanting more sugar again, so I think it's truly addictive.
    I'm with you on the caffeine. I've cut down to 1/2 cup of real coffee and then add decaf. I don't know how I'll give up that last little bit. I'm already a bit foggy every morning now. But I know it will be worth it and I'm sure I'll have more energy when I'm not carrying an extra wheelbarrow of fat around.
    You'll find so much information on this forum. I'm so grateful for it. Good luck!
    DHB

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was also told to give up fruits except the lower sugar ones like berries. (I was a big fruit eater pre sleeve.) I still do not eat much fruit now and I am 11 months out. I do eat some but still focus on protein and veggies. I also make carbs my lowest priority. I do eat more carbs now but I run a lot so I need them. I didn't cut out everything pre op. I didn't have cravings post op. I tried diet dr. pepper since surgery (it used to be my addiction) and I found it nauseating. Really gross.