Surgeon
    Dr. J. I
    Last Activity
    04-30-2018 09:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question how long is first stall????

I have lost 21 ibs in first 14 days but since then i have hit a stall(i have not lose any weight for 15 days). Am i doing some thing wrong, if it is normal how long it will take to start losing weight again.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    01-08-2018 01:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: how long is first stall????

mine was about 2 weeks. but I have had 2 others in the first 6 months probably total of 7 weeks where scale didnt move
    HW - 355
    SW - 342
    PreOp - 324
    2 week Post - 301
    1 Month Post - 295
    2 Month Post - 282
    3 Month Post - 277
    6 Month Post - 261
    1 year -

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Anna, did you take measurements? I have had a couple of slow downs in my weight loss but I continued to lose inches. Everyone is different... I don't think anyone can say definitively how long a stall is. Sometimes, your body has to catch up to all the changes. It can be a positive thing xoxoxo

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts

OMG I HAVE HAD SO MANY STALLS! IT is 100% normal and expected!

Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

A weight loss stall or plateau is a period of time during where there is no weight loss according to the scale and there may be no loss of inches according to the tape measure. This is why it is so important to take body measurements before surgery, so the patient has a reference as the weight loss progresses post-op. We suggest taking measurements of the chest, waist and hip, neck, upper arm, thigh and calf.
    Be aware it is very common for weight loss to "stall" shortly after surgery. Diana explains the reason for this below.

The Inevitable Stall
    By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.
    Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

What You Can Do About a Stall or Plateau
    If a patient is experiencing a post-op weight loss stall or plateau further out there are a few possible causes. First, check that are you really in a stall. If the scale has stopped moving you may be losing inches, so check your measurements.

Too Many Carbs?
    https://www.dsfacts.com/image-files-...gCarbohydrates can start sneaking into foods without any awareness of how quickly they are adding up. If there is struggling with weight loss the patient may want to examine their daily carb count. Keep the carbs under 50g a day and see if that makes a difference in weight loss. Do not eat carbs before bedtime as it triggers insulin and initiates fat storage.

Fit Day
    The Daily Plate
    Calorie King

For more tips on keeping a food journal see the Personal Nutrition Guide.

Eating Enough?
    If there is under-eating or going more than 4-5 hours without eating, the body will shift into fasting mode, slow the metabolism and conserve stored energy (fat). This can contribute to a weight loss stall or plateau. Make sure the consumption of food is small meals or small snacks throughout the day, also, ensure to meet daily protein requirements. Try eating some protein with every meal or snack. For more information on protein requirements see our section on Protein.

Drinking Enough?
    An adequate level of water in the body aids in the effective breakdown of fat. The daily minimum recommendation is 64 fluid ounces of water a day. If a patient is in ketosis they will need to drink even more water to ensure the ketones are flushed out of the system. If there is any exercising or the patient lives in warm/dry weather there needs to be a higher consumption of water.

Exercising?
    Exercise can increase metabolism and burn fat. Strength training will build muscles and will boost fat burning. In a stall a patient can try increasing the volume of exercise or changing up the routine to overcome a weight loss stall or plateau. If the exercises have been mai

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Watch this doctors videos...he has a TON of videos on stalls ...it will put your mind at ease...

Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It varies and as Gigi said you could still be getting smaller even if the scale isn't moving. Try to relax. Up your protein and fluids if you can. It'll pass. They always do.

Surgery date
    08/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. J. I
    Last Activity
    04-30-2018 09:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for such informative reply.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I agree with the Christi’s recommendactions. When I hit a stall upping my protein always got the scale moving. Make sure to your getting enough exercise also. I did notice when I wasn’t loosing pounds I was loosing inches. Good luck and get your sweat on!
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

• Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Body by caveman. Your body is in starvation mode where it literally will hang on to everything it can to make through the famine you are clearly in. The trick is cheat the system by loading in proteins to make the body think you are getting plenty of nutrients. If you are hitting your protein levels, from your nutritionist, then keep doing it and your body will begin to start losing weight again. If you are not hitting your protein levels, start working your way to meeting your levels. That is the most important part of this whole journey.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115