08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eliot Seiloff
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Nausea From Anesthesia

I've seen several posts recently where people have had nausea and vomiting after surgery because of the anesthesia. I was fortunate in that I had bladder surgery years ago, and vomited after surgery. When I had my tubes tied, I told the anesthesiologist, and he put something in my IV that kept me from getting sick at all. Therefore, I was prepared for this surgery. It seems they're a lot more cautious about the nausea and vomiting side effects of anesthesia, so they asked if I'd ever had that happen. In addition to whatever they put in my IV, the anesthesiologist gave me a scopolamine patch. I had no issues with anesthesia thank goodness. The worst thing about it was that the patch made my mouth very dry. I just thought I would share this for anyone considering the surgery. Because vomiting is never fun, but after stomach surgery it has got to be very painful

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Nausea From Anesthesia

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeALoser View Post
    I've seen several posts recently where people have had nausea and vomiting after surgery because of the anesthesia. I was fortunate in that I had bladder surgery years ago, and vomited after surgery. When I had my tubes tied, I told the anesthesiologist, and he put something in my IV that kept me from getting sick at all. Therefore, I was prepared for this surgery. It seems they're a lot more cautious about the nausea and vomiting side effects of anesthesia, so they asked if I'd ever had that happen. In addition to whatever they put in my IV, the anesthesiologist gave me a scopolamine patch. I had no issues with anesthesia thank goodness. The worst thing about it was that the patch made my mouth very dry. I just thought I would share this for anyone considering the surgery. Because vomiting is never fun, but after stomach surgery it has got to be very painful
    Don't want to scare you but often with this surgery it's not the anesthesia that causes nausea/vomiting but the blood that drains into your stomach during surgery. I've had many surgeries and only time I've gotten sick is when they envolved blood draining in my stomach. Nurses did great job working to stop it. Never so glad to put that behind me. Hopefully that won't happen to you and hope your surgery goes well.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I get sick with anesthesia. I was given the scopolamine patch and an anti nausea to take in the morning, plus something in my IV. I still did have some dry heaving for the first hour I woke from surgery. Worst hour of my life. Luckily that was the worst of it. In that moment I thought "Oh God what have I done?" But then some drugs and off to sleep.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

My sleeve surgery was the ONLY time I've had anesthesia and didn't get sick. When I met with the anesthesiologist that morning before going to the OR. I told him I had a history of getting sick, that I was having anxiety over it, and all of my concerns. He gave something extra in my IV, gave me the patch behind my ear, and something else before surgery that made me oh so happy! haha

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

Gastric Sleeve Member WannaBeALoser's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eliot Seiloff
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Don't want to scare you but often with this surgery it's not the anesthesia that causes nausea/vomiting but the blood that drains into your stomach during surgery. I've had many surgeries and only time I've gotten sick is when they envolved blood draining in my stomach. Nurses did great job working to stop it. Never so glad to put that behind me. Hopefully that won't happen to you and hope your surgery goes well.
    Thank you for your input. I've actually already had the surgery about 5 weeks ago. I was offering this to people who haven't had theirs yet.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeALoser View Post
    Thank you for your input. I've actually already had the surgery about 5 weeks ago. I was offering this to people who haven't had theirs yet.
    Goodluck with your journey, all the best to you.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos