Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Caffeine and Alcohol

I am two months out...My nutritionist told me I can have caffeine now but only two cups per day and my dr said alcohol is fine 5-6 weeks after surgery. So far I've only had 3 sips of a white russian. I'm scared I'm going to get sick and I used to drink wine every night! I'm just scared alcohol will make me sick so I'm trying to test it slowly lol

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I drink caffeine and alcohol, but I'm 4 years out. At the beginning it was no alcohol, but I did have a cup of coffee a day right after surgery. Doctor never said I couldn't.

Gastric Sleeve Member A Fairly Odd Panda's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Catania
    Last Activity
    12-21-2017 03:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts

Hi there! o/

My surgeon said the reason why we are told to get off coffee 2 - 4 weeks pre-op is not because it has harmful effects, but because patients have withdrawal symptoms. Patients were needing to receive caffeine intravenous while still in the hospital recovery ward because some of them were so addicted they were going through severe withdrawal. Additionally, caffeine is a diuretic and can dehydrate you. I can tell you right now, in these early months post-op it is a struggle to get in the fluids you need already. Compound that with a diuretic, you are setting up for problems. This is why they say to ween off of caffeine. It is ultimately to assist you in making the journey easier.

Now, I am about 6 weeks post-op and I do drink caffeinated tea. I have not yet tried coffee. Tea holds just fine, but I don't drink it daily. Caffeine is an addiction just like smoking, booze, food, etc. It is much easier to ween off of it than go cold turkey.

Booze is another matter. Alcoholic beverages have calories but 0 nutrition. You will have very limited space with which to fill your body with proper nutrition. Alcohol is devoid of nutrition and is also a way to dehydrate yourself. Also, because of the reduced amount of stomach acid, its effects will hit harder and faster in most people - especially bypass patients. It has also been found that up to 25% of bariatric patients fall into alcoholism for many reasons. They no longer can emotionally cope using food so they turn to drink. Additionally, post-op patients have a higher DUI risk because that small bit of alcohol. I am not saying you will do this - I am only repeating what I was taught in my mandatory pre-op classes and the seminars I attended to prepare for this journey.

I have not tried alcohol and I likely will not for a while. Even then, I will tread very carefully.

Hope this was helpful!
    - A Fairly Odd Panda

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the main reason they don't want you to drink alcohol is because of the calories. Just need to be smart about how many you have in my opinion. I was a relatively heavy beer drinker pre-op. Now I have an occasional vodka with diet lemonade. Believe it or not I have also made frozen drinks with the premier protein shakes and vodka as well... kill 2 birds with one stone... I do know that this will slow my weight loss but personally, I need a drink every now an again to relax...

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times

Alcohol is fine if you do it on occasion and count it in your carbs or calories, whatever you are doing. Unless your an alcoholic I dont think anyone who had this surgery is going to make it a daily occurrence...I may have a couple drinks once a month if that and I used to drink wine daily. I just dont have the taste for it anymore like i used to.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

There are more reasons than that Tommy. Because the stomach is mostly removed, part of the stomach that creates to enzyme that breaks down alcohol is removed also. This sends straight alcohol to the blood stream instead of diluted/brokendown alcohol. This alcohol then damages the liver more easily because of the enzyme is missing. And lastly, most bariatric patients are "addicts" and can sometimes replace one addiction for another when they cannot satisfy the person with food. Most people are perfectly fine because they can physically only drink so much but...don't go driving afterwards because your BAC will be significantly higher than pre-op because of the missing enzyme.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times

This is true!!! My sister had gastric bypass 11 yrs ago and became a raging alcoholic! Another reason I'm scared to drink! I don't know how she is even alive. She lost everything... Job... Family... So sad

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I wrote a reply but it got deleted for some reason! Here it is again! Wow!! Thanks for ALL the GREAT replies!! I drink 2 cups of coffee a day but it's great to see the reasoning behind giving it up before surgery. I will do my best, and replace the coffee in the am with a protein drink, see how that goes! As for alcohol, I can take it or leave it, I do enjoy a few drinks once in a while, and to see the reasoning behind it, I think I will rather have solid calories in my belly than alcohol! so that makes sense! Thanks again for ALL the GREAT replies!!!

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1969 View Post
    I think the main reason they don't want you to drink alcohol is because of the calories. Just need to be smart about how many you have in my opinion. I was a relatively heavy beer drinker pre-op. Now I have an occasional vodka with diet lemonade. Believe it or not I have also made frozen drinks with the premier protein shakes and vodka as well... kill 2 birds with one stone... I do know that this will slow my weight loss but personally, I need a drink every now an again to relax...
    Yes, that's exactly what my doctor told me, empty calories. (Not to mention you can no longer drink as much as before!!)

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Over 3 years since my surgery. Never an issue with coffee, beer, ect.... Started drinking coffee day after surgery. Beer about 4 months.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I waited until 2-3 months out before I started drinking coffee again. I have always been a big coffee drinker. When I started back, it was half milk/half coffee. I didn't want to risk irritating my stomach. I'm now back up to three cups a day without any issues. (Not black) I haven't had any alcohol in almost a year. I tried a glass of wine a few months ago, and it really upset my stomach. My doctor told me to wait a year, and I'll be approaching that date in a month. I may try again at some point, but I don't really miss it. I haven't tried any soft drinks, because I know that they are against the rules. I was never a big soft drink drinker anyway.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Almost a year out and I still cannot drink carbonated beverages at all which includes beer. I started coffee about a month post op. Started slowly, and now I'm drinking one cup of BOLD coffee and am a happy camper. I drink mixed drinks and wine with no ill effects except it slows (stops) weight loss for me and I have to keep it to a minimum because the alcohol really takes affect FAST! It also makes me crave other carbs, and that is not a good thing.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Follow your doctor's guidelines. That is the person you'll have to get help from if things go wrong. You don't want to be in the position to tell him/her that you ignored their advice. Personally, my doctor let me have coffee as my first drink in the hospital post op. He said if coffee was the worst thing I abused after surgery then he would be ok with that. I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning and I may have an after coffee decaf after dinner in the winter.

Take care of your new stomach and it will take care of you.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

After a few months I started drinking coffee again, and I have a cup or two a day. I rarely have an alcoholic beverage, and when I do it's non carbonated and I take a while to drink it. I haven't had soda pop of any kind in about two years. I drink a lot of water and iced tea, and G2 when I need to replenish the electrolytes (I jog 25-30 miles a week so I really have to be careful about electrolytes and hydration).

23. Said thanks: