02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: To Track, or Not to Track

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    A different response ... ....
    I wish we had a LOVE button instead of just Thanks. I really do Love your posts Ann....and Thank you xo

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Green
    Last Activity
    04-07-2019 08:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas. It is nice to see what works for some, and maybe not for others. I know I have to find what works for me. This is a rest of my life long journey, and I will eventually find my own way.................

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr.Terry Pinson
    Last Activity
    11-27-2017 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

thanks for reply. you have had an incredible journey so far-thanks for sharing all the information which is very encouraging. one question i have is about your weight loss goal and current weight. i am not even sure that i want to lose 100 lbs. i am at 234lbs right now...and trying to lose some before the surgery. i lost 10lbs but gained 3 back already...lol, such is life!! anyhow, how is your weight loss affecting 'sagging skin situation'? that is a fear of mine...i know compliance with the program is a must-such as hydration and exercise. can i add you as a friend so that we could chat or do emails?
    thanks for your help,
    marion

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGIRL000 View Post
    So basically, do what works Marci... There's no rules and regulations.... If tracking helps you, great.. If not, just be mindful of what your eating. This is a life long journey and one size doesn't fit all. Some of us need to track, some of us don't... Do what works for you... As long as you get some exercise and eat healthy, you should do great!

LOL

To the OP

You will find what works best for you. You need to try all kinds of plans and then tailor one to fit your lifestyle, tastes, and preferences. If you don't want to track, then don't. Rehab hit the nail on the head. Any kind of restrictive practices feels like dieting to me and I sucked at diets. I'm sure you do too.

The only thing I pay attention to is protein and water. Nothing else. I get my protein in by eating what I want, when i want, and made just the way I like it. I just don't over eat.

So...relax. Take it easy. This will all come to you via common sense and patience. Also read, read, read. Read my posts, Ann's posts, and other successful vets. I would stick to folks that have been sleeved two years and longer. At two years, they will have lost the weight they wanted to and will have been maintaining for about a year. That's real world experience.

I would take any advice you get from a 2 or 3 month vet with a grain of salt. Not that they don't have anything relevant to contribute, but, if they start giving advice without actually experiencing what they are giving advice about, then beware.

Feel free to reach out to me via pm if you want to bounce ideas off of someone.

Robert

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NYCGIRL000's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts

Yes !!! You have been warned!!! stay away from us two month vets!!! We know not what we say! Lol!!! Give me a break she asked if we track and we answered... We didn't give her any classified information so it's all good Relax!!!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

I am 3 years post op and for the first two years I did track on the Fitness App. they make it really easy by having a very large data base of food by brand names, restaurants. The reason I started tracking was to ensure that I was getting protein and eating enough. For the first six months I was eating less than 500 calories a day and had to find ways to increase my caloric intake.
    At this point, I keep a mental diary. At times I will track for a week or two if I find myself straying too far to the left.
    Ann and I have both found that we tend to eat similar meals often which we know are good for us. My go to breakfast is usually high protein cheerios, low fat milk and a fruit. Cheese stick for a snack. Tracking is a good tool, if you don't consume enough calories you may create a stall. You also want to be healthy. Our bodies need fuel whether we feel like eating or not. Hope this helps.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times

If you have been tracking for two months then I believe technically you have "experience" ... No need to insult ppl just because you're not a newbie anymore. You are no different then us, remember that

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I've been tracking from the beginning, but now it's to make sure I get enough to eat and enough nutrients, especially since I have become a "bariathlete". It's hard to not feel uncomfortable when I spent so long at a limited caloric intake and now I need to make sure I'm getting enough to eat for my running. I'm starting to look into alternative and intuitive eating habits because quite honestly if I could get a better handle on how to eat like a runner when my stomach is the size of a tennis ball and still be successful, I would stop tracking.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

If you have been tracking for two months then I believe technically you have "experience" ... No need to insult ppl just because you're not a newbie anymore. You are no different then us, remember that
    Why get so bent out of shape over what I think?

Surgery date
    07/15/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Jalil Illan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times

Because this is a support group and you are insulting ppl in the same boat your in. The question she asked was do we track or not. Doesn't matter if you had surgery a week ago or a year ago, we all answered her since we are in the same situation she is. If that bothers you, you shouldn't be on the support group.

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I began tracking on My Fitness pal (MFP) months before my surgery, and still track to this day. Its not a bother for me, at all. When I log on the computer in the morning, I go right to it and add in my first morning exercise of the day and then breakfast, then add more in later on in the day.
    I pretty much know what my meals are going to be for the day, yet I still feel I need to track it. A habit. I don't look at it at all like I am dieting. I need to know how much protein I am getting in and also my water intake. And I do weigh myself everyday. It's something I do and I don't mind doing it. It encourages me.

I dieted for a couple decades and hated that, absolutely dreaded it. Counting calories and dropping pounds, only to regain 50 lbs. more than I had lost. I don't feel like I am on a diet now- even though I track all my caloric intake. It's not the same thing for me. For one thing, I can't eat anywhere near the amounts I used to consume. I have slowly added in some carbs and even a sweet-treat now and then since surgery in March and I have lost all but ONE POUND of my goal weight, so I feel I am doing something right.

Track if you want to... the app is always there. If you want to stop, then stop. Do what feel right for you.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My nut told me to track only protein and liquids, so that's all I have ever tracked. Never wanted to get back into that "diet" mentality that never worked for me. I'm almost 4 years out.

But maybe I should start tracking, as I'm 5 pounds above my goal, and haven't budged for 8 months!

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr.Terry Pinson
    Last Activity
    11-27-2017 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

yes, i got the same impression from my 'nut'...that protein intake and water is the most important. the veggies and good carbs are necessary for sure but the protein is major. i think that's how i'll start my 'tracking' atleast. no surgery date yet, but am trying to get my mind wrapped around all this. thank ya'll so much for the info. there is so much to learn...trying not to obsess with the thoughts of this 'new life' ahead of me...hoping to add a few more years to this granny's life!

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

When I do track, I track everything. On a mental track, I just worry about protein and keeping carbs down. I don't worry about fats or sodium. I am in the best health of my life so I must be doing something right. I am almost 62, have perfect blood pressure, low cholesterol, sugar is great and my muscle mass is up. I would like my fat content to be lower, but I am in the average range. This is never going to be a sprint, but a marathon. This lifestyle is forever, not a diet, a lifestyle.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Because this is a support group and you are insulting ppl in the same boat your in. The question she asked was do we track or not. Doesn't matter if you had surgery a week ago or a year ago, we all answered her since we are in the same situation she is. If that bothers you, you shouldn't be on the support group.
    He's not insulting anyone, he's giving his opinion. As a teacher I teach the difference between facts and opinions. I do agree that new people can learn quite a bit from us "old timers." I also agree you have to find what works for you, we are all unique people and aren't going to do everything the same. You track, I don't, who cares. The beginning of this journey is so easy, the weight just falls off, tracking or not. But that doesn't last. That's when you have to figure out what works for you. I'm almost 4 years out. I don't track, but am very aware about what I eat and exercise a lot. That's what works for me.

Let's be nice!