Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie - Extremely New!

Hey All,

My name is Kristi, almost 38, and I am at the very early stages of this. I have a consult late September. Looking at doing the sleeve.

I have a complex health history - diagnosed with Lupus at the age of 10, paralyzed from the chest down at 15 from a virus, broke my right leg THREE different times, etc. My Lupus has been in remission since 2003, but due to some broken bones and pressure sores I have put on quite a bit a weight. I can't blame prednisone these days as I haven't been on it in 14 years. I've done every diet known, been a member of Weight Watchers too many times, and the weight just doesn't want to come off.

A friend of mine did this and she has done fantastic on it. She's also in a chair. I've asked her a million questions, but I still have more.

My reasons for wanting surgery are not just to be thinner - I love my curves and have a pretty good self esteem, however, I'm not getting younger and things that used to be easy even with extra weight on are getting hard. Like transfers in and out of bed, getting dressed, etc.

I've been dealt a bad health hand, but I don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, or anything like that. I do take a lot of supplements, my Lupus isn't in remission because of my diet that's for sure.

One of my main questions is work after surgery: How long did you all take? I've only been full time since the end of November so I don't have a lot of vacation or sick time. I'm a secretary so my job isn't heavy lifting by any means and if need by I could get a ride too and from work if my doc thinks getting in and out of my truck (I drive from my chair) would be too straining.

Also curious - if anyone here that has Lupus and/or paralyzed and how you handled surgery? My Lupus doc doesn't think it should be an issue.

Nervous and excited for my first consult. :-)
    HW: 245.4 SW: 243 CW: 160 GW: 135

2. The following 22 users said welcome Kristi7928 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie - Extremely New!

Welcome Kristi. I don't know that I have seen any sleevers on here with paralysis but hopefully if there are they will reach out. Pretty sure I have seen sleevers with Lupus. As for the Lupus, the supplements will need to be crushed to be taken in the early post op time. Another issue you may have with the paralysis is that there is a lot of leftover gas post op and to expel it you have to walk as much as possible. That being said, I don't know how you will expel the gas...which can be painful and the walking gets it out for you. Those are questions I would address with a bariatric surgeon. Good luck. I hope that you will be able to get your surgery.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Kristi, I am reading that you are an incredibly strong person to experience what you have. You will do well with the right focus. Just follow your doctors orders.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Kristi,
    You are an inspiration before surgery! Even though I'm not in a w-chair, my weight slowed down my activity to where I didn't want to get out of a chair because the movement hurt too much. I've lost 89 pounds and though I still feel achy and have some problems the first minute I get up from a chair, I can move this body much better. Everything from grocery shopping to bathing has gotten better. It's a great tool.

I was able to work up extra hours and save up leave so that I could take off 3 weeks. I could have gone back after 1 week, but I wanted the extra time. Some people have gone back to work after several days. Do you get time off for the holidays? If so, perhaps you can plan your operation around that time, maximize by being sure that you are close to a weekend. My doctor's staff worked with me to set up my date and I'm sure that your doctor's staff will/should do the same.

All the best to you and good for you! This is a great gift you are giving yourself and so wise to consider the big picture and long haul!

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! You are in the right place for amazing support and a wealth of information and experience from countless others traveling along the same journey. Everyone here is fantastic!! As you move forward, be sure to post your experiences so you can help others too. Most importantly ~ here's wishing you MUCH SUCCESS (hugs)

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kristi7928's Avatar
    Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have a million questions for the doctor when I meet him in a couple of weeks.

Question on hair. I have long hair and am quite attached to it. Did a lot of you lose hair? I've lost a majority of it during different Lupus relapses and they shaved half my head when I got paralyzed. I think that and the weight gain (when I was not eating) was harder on me than dealing with paralysis. Anyways to counteract it before surgery and after. I take biotin and a lot of good vitamins for hair and skin. It'd be a small price to pay to be lighter.

If/when approved I am looking forward to moving around better. In and out of the chair. I'm about 5'7'', but my legs alone are 4 feet long and they are heavy - especially the one I have broke. The metal in there must lead (jk), but it is significantly heavier then my other leg. I'm hoping taking some weight off the legs will help the pressure being put on my feet. Been battling pressure sores for years. One of the many joys of paralysis. Insert sarcasm.

So far the friend support has been good.

Any pre-appointment advice I need before I see the doctor? Do's and Don'ts?

I'm hoping my next year's birthday (it's next week) I'm significantly smaller.
    HW: 245.4 SW: 243 CW: 160 GW: 135

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You will be significantly smaller AND stronger in a year! And that will make your daily activities much easier. It's cool that you have a friend in a chair that can answer questions the rest of us may not be able to. You sound like a brave woman, you've got this. Best of luck to you!

As far as hair, I've been on these boards for over 4 years now and have never heard of anyone going bald. Most of us lose a little, but it's typically no big deal. At least it wasn't for me. I only noticed when I saw new little shorter pieces growing in.