Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Emotional/Binge Eating - Tips To Handle Stress & Raging Emotions

Hi Folks,
    My eating disorder - binge eating/compulsive eating - has reared it's ugly head. I'm seeing a therapist, going to OA (overeaters anon), and reading a myriad of books, but want to connect with others in this forum who have dealt with it/dealing with it. I'm asking others to share the tips, rituals, relaxation methods, thoughts, practice, etc. that help you to stop, look, listen, and re-route yourself in the moment of wanting to binge.

I think that binge/compulsive overeating is an affliction that many of us have. Not everyone, many though. I also believe that much of the pain attributed to compulsive overeating is due to trauma in earlier life - military service, child abuse, spousal abuse, etc. (Edited to add: 'pain attributed...' does not apply to everyone, just some.) All of that aside, we now have to deal with the consequences and change our behavior.

So, please share how you stop yourself in the moment. What do you do to get through the rage of wanting to binge. What are your tips and tricks, for lack of a better description. I've noticed that some folks have touched on this and have been successful, so I'm trying to find out through all of your experience, what has helped you in the moment.

Only serious responses are requested. Please do not use this as an opportunity to lambast, insult, or otherwise harm anyone suffering through this (including me). I would like to make and keep this as a "safe-zone" posting. No judgements, just support.

Thanks in advance to all that respond.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Emotional/Binge Eating - Tips To Handle Stress & Raging Emotions

Thanks for your post, bigdogluver. Glad to hear you're addressing your challenge with an arsenal of resources. I think you're very smart to tackle this head on like you are.

As you know (but maybe everyone doesn't?), there are a variety of disorders, compulsions, bad habits, and other negative behaviors that some (not all) WLS patients have and must deal with after WLS to be successful long-term. All over-eating isn't binge eating, which is a very specific thing. Folks who are interested can google "binge eating disorder" (sometimes called "BED") and learn a lot about it.

I don't have BED, but (like many long-time overweight and obese people) sometimes I did eat inappropriately for decades. Aside from what else was going on, that eating behavior turned into a Very Bad Habit.

One thing that REALLY helps me and my body address the "medicating stress with food" challenge) is to eat lots of veggies and fruits throughout the day that have a lot of fiber. The fiber slows down the rate at which my body digests food, keeping my body on a steady "drip" of nutrients. If I'm not having nutrition highs and lows during times of stress, then I don't get an additional hunger trigger due to my body's need for more energy. BTW, women should aim for 21 grams of fiber a day. During Year Four post-op (which just started in mid-August) I have set a new goal to eat 8 veggies/fruits a day. Last year, my goal was 7 (and I usually hit 5). So far, I'm getting in the full 8 -- and boy oh boy are those V/Fs filling me up. I'm still getting around 100 grams of protein a day. And, of course, my daily treats.

Anyway ... also, although I'm not sure why this is true, if I stay hydrated very well throughout the day those urges to nibble just aren't awakened like they are when my body needs water but doesn't necessarily interpret that need as "thirst." BTW, I assume by now that most folks know that GHRELIN (the hunger hormone) is also the THIRST hormone. After VSG surgery, our ghrelin hormones are greatly reduced, so we don't automatically know we're thirsty when we start to get dehydrated.

That's all I have time for right now -- but this is a great topic. I look forward to others' plans for dealing with inappropriate eating. And you're right -- it's so very important for us all, whether we have BED, emotional eating, grazing issues, or whatever our overeating and inappropriate eating issue(s) is/are.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Laura, I HEAR you! End of this month will be 6 months out from surgery and my hunger has come back. I have found myself wanting to EAT things I haven't eaten since last December when I began my pre-op diet, and I am still restricted pretty well but I have had moments where I get this frenzied -type feeling of wanting to eat. I drink water to try and curb that feeling. I eat my proteins and vegetables and fruit, and yet this wave comes over me where I feel like I could eat, eat, eat (and I know I wouldn't be able to.) Luckily the items I start to crave aren't in the house but it bothers me nonetheless.

I still have the one pound to lose to hit my goal weight, but I have increased my calories per day (or trying to) because I hadn't been eating nearly enough IMO, and hope I still drop the pounds by upping my caloric intake.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogluver View Post
    What do you do to get through the rage of wanting to binge.
    Binge eating responds well to a medication called Vyvanse. My best friend's teenage son no longer compulsively eats since he started taking Vyvanse and has gradually lost weight.

Cognitive behavioral therapy also helps. However, if your binge eating issues have flared up less than 6 months after surgery, I seriously suggest you get to a psychiatrist and obtain a script for some Vyvanse.

Good luck to you. You can conquer this demon.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Folks,
    Keep the information coming. I think it's beneficial to everyone that reads this, because it's like the painful secret of many on this board. I believe all information and experiences shared are important and may help others.

For those that deal with this issue, however small or large it is for you, how do you stop yourself in the moment? I would like to start stock piling methods, tricks, and tips to help with the moment when you stop yourself before you indulge in the urge. Please provide your experiences and thoughts, all are welcomed.

I'm not trying to "fix" anyone - I wish I could, but I can't, I can only work on myself. But, perhaps everyone's input will help others, especially in the moment that it is needed the most - stopping the binge action.

Thanks to Ann2, Lori, and RehadNurse for your input, it is very appreciated.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Thanks for posting this Laura, it helps others to know they are not the only ones with these issues. I know I see This reoccurring too. My key is to not get tired and stay up to late. Being scheduled and regimented is key for me. I must learn to Adjust on the fly.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had many issues with binge eating. (And way back in the day binge/purge cycle.) I think post surgery for me something clicked. I feel so good about how far I have come that I know I don't want to go back. Whenever I get the urge to binge I will try to drink water or have a sugar free popsicle. That usually will help. And if I really can't control the urge, I go for a walk or run....no access to food. I throw on my headphones and head out the door. Usually when I get back the urge has passed. I don't know if it will work for you but I wish you luck. Big hugs.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Greg, thanks for sharing your tips, it is so helpful.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Christie13, thanks so much for sharing the steps that you take that help you through the urges. It is will be helpful to many that read it.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

I am still too new post-op (2 months out) and have not had to deal with binge eating. I did have a huge issue with it in the past and gave into the cravings without looking it square in the eye and fighting back! Great post! I am taking note of the responses and will be ready if they return. I know going forward I will deal with them. I love having my body back and will fight for the rest of my life to keep it xo

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Losinglbs2gainlife's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Heider Lake Norman Bariatrics
    Last Activity
    10-01-2017 10:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Everything listed so far are great helps! Not getting overly tired as mentioned is a big one for me. Staying hydrated. Eating at scheduled times. This thread is one of the most important ones on this site. Whether everyone realizes it or not. I hope it keeps going.
    To add a couple to the list....stopping in the moment and journaling what I'm thinking or feeling. Even if it's short quick notes in my smartphone.
    Get busy, cleaning house helps me. And sometimes I tell myself to drink a protein shake and give it 30 minutes then if craving is still there I can hv it. Usually in 30 min it's gone .
    Thank you for starting this thread.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had a terrible issue with binge eating and bulimia. I got to nearly 500 lbs because I would eat all the food simply because it was there. I couldn't stop myself and I would throw up many times until the food was gone. This has been one of the hardest things to conquer and i haven't conquered it completely. I personally do EMDR therapy with my therapist and it helps me a lot. Many of my issues are PTSD related and EMDR helps a lot. That helps me because once i recognize why i got triggers to eat and I see that I am not in that situation anymore then I can stop myself when i feel a binge but usually after ive addressed why I was binging it doesn't happen anymore with EMDR.
    I don't know that there is anything I do in the moments when I feel it coming now because i have found the more I focus on it the more it grows and tries to take over my thoughts until I eat too much.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I do highly recommend OA and finding a good sponsor who you can call in weak moments. If you can't find a good OA group, you can also go to AA meetings. While OA helped me identify some of my issues, I still decided to go forward with surgery (in less than a week). I know I may need to go back to my group for support in the future.

I am an evening binger. I can eat well all day then stay up and eat my way through the pantry. I've tried to shift my schedule---making myself get up early so I'm too tired to stay up during my weakest times. Seems simple but I was once told by a psychiatrist that if you let yourself get to the point of temptation it's really hard to resist--and most of us don't. Better to work at interventions to avoid those situations and times. So that's been good advice for me. I can't always do it, but it helps. Also, binging is a "secret" habit. I try not to be alone with food. I make rules like no eating in the car. When I grocery shop I don't allow myself to pull anything out for snacking on the way home.

These are just techniques I use to manage my own issues. I'm not always successful by any means, but I'm moving in the right direction. Wish you the best.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

What is EMDR therapy? Are therapist specifically qualified for this type of therapy and how do you find them?

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder View Post
    What is EMDR therapy? Are therapist specifically qualified for this type of therapy and how do you find them?
    Greg, here's a good description of EMDR therapy.

https://emdria.site-ym.com/?120

I've never had this kind of therapy, but I know a couple of people who have and found it to be very helpful.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89