Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Tinman grew some gills.......

To all

First off, let me say that I appreciate all of the responses to the surgerversary thread, and also for the overwhelming pm's and emails I've received asking about my status here in Houston. Instead of answering all emails and pm's individually, I thought I would cover the bases here.

I came through Harvey just fine. I was one of the few in my neighborhood that did not get any water in my house. It rained 37" here between Saturday and yesterday. It rained over 50" in other local areas. The rain stopped yesterday late afternoon. The rain also almost never stopped coming.

I spent almost all day yesterday doing the boat rescues that most of you have probably heard about or seen on tv. Really heartbreaking. I spent most of the day taking hundreds of senior citizens out of an assisted living facility by boat. Most were in wheel chairs or really struggling with mobility. Almost all had to be carried out. Their families could not get to them and they could not get out by themselves. When I got to the boat staging area, there were literally hundreds of boats in line waiting to launch. We launched in the middle of the street in front of a Wendy's here in Kingwood, TX. In front of that Wendy's, the water was chest deep. That Wendy's is about 1/2 mile from my house. Still don't know how I missed the water.

So, it's big picture time. I have mentioned the fact that I get on my knees and pray thanks every day for the gift that this sleeve has given me. I sometimes wonder what greater good I can serve now that I am so mobile. Well, I found out yesterday. There is zero chance I could have done what I did yesterday if I weighed over 500 pounds. But, since I don't, I was able to basically move a whole lot of people and their personal belongings all day long. That's the kind of stamina I have received since losing my weight.

I am most proud of the citizens of Houston. There have been less than 10 reported accounts of looting. The metropolitan area has over 6 million residents and less than 10 reported instances of looting? Houston, that makes me proud. The stories of neighbors helping neighbors are almost limitless. Houston has always had a reputation as a very diverse and welcoming community. The past few days have shown just how shared experiences can and will cross cultural and racial boundaries. We, as a society, need to take notice of this. The key to racial and societal harmony lies in shared experiences.

Enough of my high horse.

I'm good and my family is good. I'm dreading what these floods are going to do to my beloved Galveston Bay system, but, as always, it will recover just as the citizens of this area will also.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the concerns.

Robert

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Tinman grew some gills.......

This is one of the most touching things I've ever read, on so many levels.

I've been crying off and on for days seeing the devastation in Texas. This post made my heart soar.

Thank You for being you.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Thank you for helping all those people! God bless you and all those affected by the flooding... <3

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So happy you are able to help! I love the stories of people doing amazing things for others, like the guy who owns a huge furniture store opening up his business for refugees to sleep on his beds and couches. This is what America is all about! While I can't be there to help, I can donate money.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    So happy you are able to help! I love the stories of people doing amazing things for others, like the guy who owns a huge furniture store opening up his business for refugees to sleep on his beds and couches. This is what America is all about! While I can't be there to help, I can donate money.
    That guy's name is Jim McInvale and his business is Gallery Furniture. He is known locally as Mattress Mac. Used to do commercials while wearing a mattress like a pancho. Huge civic guy. Pretty much a self made guy.

One thing I forgot to mention is the giving that's been happening here. All of the local shelters have asked folks to stop bringing in donations of food, clothing, pillows, blankets, towels, baby items, etc. They have too much. They are asking that these items be donated to the Red Cross so that they can be used elsewhere when the need arises.

I don't care who you are....that's huge.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Robert, really glad to hear from you and that you're safe and excelling at helping other people. Wonderful news about the humanity of all your fellow citizens, whether they're receiving help or giving it.

I have close relatives in Houston who, like you, are wet, but not flooded. And relatives in the Victoria area, too -- same outcomes for them. They / we were lucky.

Gratitude! It's my overwhelming feeling about having been sleeved. My gratitude will never, ever end. It blossoms all over again every day when I wake up.

<3

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

Robert,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your selflessness in risking your own well-being to help those who can no longer help themselves. I too have been keeping a close eye on Houston since my son and his family live there, too. They are lucky to live in a second floor apartment so have had no problem with water in their home. When you were sleeved I bet you had no idea of the far-reaching changes that would happen in your life and the effect it would have on your ability to help others.

Thank you
    Linda 51

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member gopostal24's Avatar
    Name
    Dave
    Surgery date
    08/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Naim
    Last Activity
    11-10-2018 05:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 82 Times
    Blog Entries

What a very sweet post. And truly, what could you have done if you weighed 500 pounds? Complain on your sofa about how the Pizza Hut was closed and couldn't deliver because it was underwater? Yours is a truly inspirational story, and how great you were in a position to help. Many blessing to you sir!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member astallons's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wells
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing your story. It was truly inspirational to read and I will admit that I became teary eyed for you for seeing this play out and for everyone affected by this storm and for the humanity/compassion people are showing. I'm glad to hear of your safety. I'm sure that no matter what you weighed before you would have found some way to help. Although it is wonderful to hear of your progress and ability to help in this capacity. Prayers for you and everyone in Texas!!!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. We have been watching closely here in San Antonio. I work in insurance so I have been talking with survivors and getting their claims started. It is heartbreaking to hear their stories but glad I can help them in their time of need. They all have wonderful stories of the amazing humanity that is being shown by strangers coming together. Proud of Houston.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Robert,
    What a great story and the benefits of taking care of yourself, allowed you to take care of other folks in their time of need. These are the best non-scale victories. Great job
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Glad to hear all is well for you.

You SIR are a HERO!

Enough said. Let the board know if you need anything.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member turtleRose's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    02-18-2018 09:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries

WOW! That's amazing... all if it - the fact that you kept from flooding to the help that you gave.
    Thank you for helping... and keep safe!
    Surgery Weight: 366lbs
    1 month: 339.4lbs (-26.6lbs)
    2 month: 324.5lbs (-14.9lbs)
    3 month:
    4 month:
    5 month: 297 (-30lbs)
    6 month:
    7 month:
    8 month:
    9 month:
    10 month:
    11 month:
    1 year:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow! So you are one of our heroes. Thank you so much for helping out our fellow Houstonians. I know so many people who lost everything. There are STILL piles of EVERYTHING on the sides of the streets in Pearland because the trash companies just haven't been able to pick it all up yet. It's heartbreaking to drive by a street and see it lined with drywall and furniture knowing those families lost everything. I live in Pearland and am SO lucky. My neighborhood is one of the ones that was on every news network in the country. We had heroes like you in boats rescuing my neighbors. My subdivision did not flood but every one around us did so we were trapped for days. We couldn't get out to help anyone. All we could do is watch on tv what was going on around us. The water started getting close to us and then it just stopped. But the devastation is still all around us. After the rain stopped, it took days for the water to recede so we could leave our subdivision. Pearland Parkway was a lake. The beltway, 45, Dixie Farm Road, Friendswood, Sagemont, Pearland in general, everything around us! Dickinson is just 15 minutes from me and I still can't believe the devastation there. So, thank you. Thank you so much for helping our city. We all came together and showed what Texans are made of. Nobody cared about whose life matters or who voted for whom. We all mattered and we all came together to survive and now, rebuild. I saw inspiration. I saw no boundaries, but instead communities coming together to help each other. I'm proud to be a Texan and super proud to be a native Houstonian!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Name
    "Lea" (nickname)
    Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

I'm late to this response but who cares. Been off the forums awhile. You Sir are a hero! Living in New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina I get it. Thanks for rescuing people and bless you as I have friends in Houston. All I could do from here is give money and I did. If my hospital had not needed me I would have come and helped in hospitals there. Know Drs and RRTs and RNs that did go and help like you guys did after Katrina for us. THANK YOU.
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!