Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default I've got blisters on my fingers......tinman's surgerversary rant

August 23, 2017 8:49 am
    Still 6’3” and tipping the scales at 277.8

As I type this, five years ago, to the day and to the hour, I was strapped to a gurney in a clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. The clinic was located in a strip mall next door to a lingerie shop and an Office Depot. I was wondering if I was going to wake up from the surgery and I also wondered if I would survive if I didn’t have the surgery. At the last minute, I decided to get up and leave. Good thing Dr. Almanza and his staff had me strapped down. So, I closed my eyes, said a prayer, and the next thing I remember is someone slapping my face and telling me “Get up big boy…you walk to the recovery room.” So, literally minutes after the procedure, I walked to the recovery room.

Little did I know that I was actually witnessing my own birth.

Before I get started, I want to say that visiting the newbie part of the board should be required reading for those of us who have been sleeved a long time and have been successful in not only losing weight, but, keeping it off. I forget from time to time that five years ago, I had the same fears, feelings and frustrations that all of you are experiencing and writing about. I want to take a moment to address some of those fears and frustrations.

So, first and foremost, I am going to type out tinman's mantra. This set of rules sustained me and lots of other folks during their trip.

So, here goes.

YOU ARE NOT ON A DIET. Since you are not on a diet, you cannot be failing at a diet. Being sleeved certainly does not mean you have to diet.

This is not a race, it's a marathon. As such, you must always remember that slow and steady wins the race. You will be sleeved for as long as you breathe air. You must develop a plan that allows you to live like a sleeved person in a non sleeved world.

Carbs and Fat are not the enemy. They are your friends

You must eat no less than 80 grams of protein a day...once you are able to.

You must drink no less than 64 ounces of WATER a day. Not tea, soda, Kool aide, cocktails, wine, beer, Gatorade, tea....margaritas. WATER, AGUA, H2O. You can all of the other stuff that you want, but only after you have gotten in your WATER. This is mandatory and not elective.

And last but not least. You must never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever overeat......ever.

So, having said all that, let's drill down on some of the huge, glaring, inaccuracies I see on this board. Before I start, I need to say that the opinions, and advice, expressed by me on this board are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the owners of this board, some very successful and rock star vets (Ann2, truffles), and most two to three month "vets". My plan and views are born of a concerted, five year effort. In other words, a big ass dose of been there, done that, and lived to tell about it. I have lost 265 lbs and have kept it all off, +/- five pounds here or there for almost five years. Whether or not you agree with my opinions really doesn't matter at all to me. I know my way has worked for me and for dozens of others on this site and literally hundreds and hundreds who emailed me to tell me that the advice that they read in my book changed their lives. The only way you'll find out if my way works for you is to try it. Does it work for everyone? Nope. Does it work for the vast majority that try it? Yes. As with all things post op, the decision will be yours to make.

So, let's go ahead and drop the first bomb shell. In my opinion, I think the biggest idiots in the VSG universe are NITs....err.....NUTs. These fools have no idea what it takes to live sleeved in a non sleeved world. The only way their advice could even begin to be relevant is if they, themselves, have been sleeved. I will bet a box of donuts that each of you who are worshiping at the altar of a NIT are trying to shoe horn yourself into a plan that the NIT is also trying to make each of his/her other clients adhere to. We are all individual and no two of us are the same. It only makes sense that our nutritional plan should be as unique as we are. You must find what works for you and game the hell out of it. Make a plan, work the plan, own your results, and change as necessary.

Don't get wrapped around the axle trying to adhere to a strict eating plan. Remember the first line in the mantra. Any regimented food plan is really nothing more than a diet. We all sucked at diets. If we were good at dieting, we would not have needed to get sleeved. Since we sucked at diets pre op, what makes you think you can stick to a regimented plan that is full of twigs, grass, and dirt FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE? In tinman's world, you eat what you want, when you want, and made just the way you like it. Period. That's right. Period. I also never ever over eat…ever.

I lost all of my weight following that exact plan. I devised it after suffering through the slimiest, sickest, stupidest stall of all time. The scale didn't move for three months. Once I figured out how to game the four pillars of post op life (Nutritiion, Hydration, Supplements and Exercise), I lost more weight in the final four months (140 lbs) than I did in the first 10 (125). Then I discovered that the plan I used to lose my weight was also perfect for maintenance...for me.

Now, I'll move on to another point. It's pure lunacy to think that you, or anyone else out there, can be happy being on a regimented food plan that does not include our favorite foods for the rest of your life. Save your breath. You can't. So, in tinman's world, it just makes good sense to accept that you will be eating the foods you like. You just need to learn how to eat them. I don't deny myself anything, ever. I just plain old refuse to overeat. I invested the time into learning what full feels like for me and I respect the hell out of it. If you don't overeat, you just plain old can't eat enough of the "bad" foods in order to gain weight. It's impossible. I believe you should eat what you want, when you want, and made just the way you like it. The secret is to eat foods that both scratch your itches and also fulfill the 80/64.

I think I'll end on this point. It's easily the most controversial point in my lifestyle rant, but, I also think it's the most important. Your body burns carbs and fat for fuel. Starve it of either and you will stall, stall often, and stay stalled for months on end. Don't believe me? Just read the "Help, I'm stalled" posts and make notes of what those idiot NITs have them eating. Eating carbs and fat is the very genesis of the tinman plan. Protein is not the fuel your body burns. It is, however, the one thing that ramps up your metabolism and regenerates your muscles after working out.

If you don't starve your body of the fuel it needs, then it won't stall. A stall is your body's way of conserving it's precious stores of fuel. (fat) If your body thinks you are starving it, it will shut down your metabolism as a defense mechanism to save fuel. Your body can ramp down all non essential functions that burn fuel. You can live on an ultra slow metabolism. Don't believe me? How the hell do you think you got fat in the first place? That, in essence, is what a stall is. So, if you are experiencing a craving, feed it. A craving is your body's way of ordering room service. That piece of pizza you're craving has carbs, fat, protein, and sugar. Your body knows it has a greater chance of getting what it needs if if asks for it in the form of something that gives you pleasure. Don’t eat the whole effing pizza though. Eat a half a slice. If you are still hungry, eat the other half and walk away. Then watch the scale spin backwards.

By the way………My body craves tequila so I feed it a margarita or three every day.

But hey, that's just me.

If any of you are interested in learning more about my plan, go to my profile and hit the link that takes you to my previous posts. There, you will find over 40 pages of my musings, rants, and drivel on the subject. If you still have questions, feel free to email me and I'll be more than happy to help any of you, individually, any time. wmd1@gmx.com

And finally, my pet peeve of this board. Those of you who are one or two months post op, please keep your advice to yourself. You really don't have enough experience post op to be giving advice. When you post advice, you are only reprinting something you have read, but not experienced. Opinions? That's another matter. Express them all you want. But don't give anyone advice that you haven't tried and succeeded or failed with. That's just wreckless. My favorite analogy involves a flight I was on several years ago. Long story short, we had a very, very rough landing. O2 masks dropped, luggage came out of the over head bin….the whole nine yards. Now, I was pissed. My opinion was that the pilot came in too hot and damn near overshot the runway. Here’s my point. I did not go into the cockpit and give him advice about how to land the plane better. Why? Because I do not know how to land a plane. Just like the 1 and 2 month vets on here don’t know how to lose weight whilst sleeved.

My favorite thing to say is that the only advice someone less than 60 days should give is to tell what size straw to use to sip your water and protein drink. That’s really the only thing you have any experience with. In order to give advice, there must be a common frame of reference. You must have experienced the issue the person asking for advice is experiencing. If you haven’t experienced it, how the hell can you even begin to give advice on what to do? You can’t. All you can do is regurgitate what you’ve read and heard. Here’s the dealio. You haven’t done this long enough to know if what you’ve read or heard is true or if it works. Especially if you are repeating what your NUT says……

What you don't know is how your advice is affecting the lurkers on this board. For every poster on here, there are probably 25 members who read, but don't post. When ill informed advice is given, not only are you affecting the person asking for the advice, you are also affecting the person who isn't making themselves known. In some cases , you might just scare them into not having the procedure at all. I have actually witnessed and experienced that first hand. Luckily, that person lives here in Houston and reached out personally. I met them, counseled them, and they ended up having the procedure and have been at goal for almost three years now. But, they actually had decided to skip the procedure because the 60 day "vets" were scaring the hell out of them.

So, in conclusion, I will tell the newbies that you must form a plan for success. Your plan will be unique for you. Since you will be sleeved for the rest of your life, you better come up with a plan on how to live like a sleeved person in a non sleeved world.

I still fall on my knees every day and thank the Lord for leading me to this procedure. I am happy, healthy, and a freaking force to be reckoned with.

All because of Dr. Almanza and the VSG.

Well…..I had a little something to do with it too.

So will you.

Peace

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I've got blisters on my fingers......tinman's surgerversary rant

Thanks for the update, Robert...and congratulations on 5 years of weight maintenance.

I concur with you regarding flexible eating. I'm able to maintain a lowish body weight eating pleasurable foods that don't leave me deprived. The less deprived I am, the less likely I'll go off the rails.

Yesterday's lunch was a McDouble and unsweet iced tea from McDonald's. Many newbies would be screaming heresy at that meal choice, but it works for me. The fat, carbs and salt from the burger were satisfying.

I also maintain while eating upwards of 2300 calories daily, although I don't closely count. As long as I consume 100+ grams of protein per day and live an active exercise lifestyle, I've been able to basically eat what I want within reason.

Thanks again for this 5-year update, and I appreciate your candor.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

congrats on your 5 years of success. I exercise and have no off limit foods. I do focus on my meat and veggies first from a vitamin/nutrient stand point.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I double down on your carbs and fats advice. Never stalled. Never had a problem getting the weight off or keeping it off at nearly three years out.

I am up about 6 pounds from my steady low of 107, but that's to be expected. 107 on 5'4" was a bit low. I'm very happy that I never gave into any demands of cutting out carbs, and never let my body get used to the idea of not having those. My tiny tummy gets whatever it wants.

It drives me crazy to see people eliminating whole food groups. Cutting out carbs does not seem very sustainable longterm. Then the pounds pile back on once reintroduced. I've seen it way too often. Then again, it's their body, so... I just know I'm about to enjoy these pizza pasta casserole leftovers from last night's dinner. ;-)

Be well, and happy 5 years to you. Congratulations on all your success.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Now I need to think what inspirational stuff I'll write at 4 years in October. I am also not on a diet, never have been since surgery. Now before surgery I was always on a diet, and that sure worked for me. Made me FAT.

LOVE your nutritionist advice. Mine is about 100 pounds dripping wet, maybe 26, and has no idea on the planet what it's like to be fat. They should hire people like us who have lived it. I have even offered to attend their informational seminars, but no, I'm not a medical professional. I know as a newbie I would have loved to hear about it first hand from someone like us who had the surgery and became a regular sized person.

Anyways, always love to hear from you!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/02/2015
    Surgeon
    andrew wheeler ssm st louis de paul
    Last Activity
    03-02-2018 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries

bravo. . . well done . . . .well said happy 5th suriversary and many many thanks
    ​karen 5

11/1/14 . . ..254 lbs
    12/23/14......248
    1/8/15.........245
    4/10/15........240 1 week post surgery post op dr visit
    5/6/16..........219 1st yearly post op visit . . .all is well

Gastric Sleeve Member WannaBeALoser's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eliot Seiloff
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you for this post. I am a newbie...13 days post-op, and I was getting a little discouraged today. My bariatric physician and nut have given me one plan to follow and my surgeon has given me a lot more leniency. Guess which 'plan' I picked. The lenient one. So, I felt like I was "cheating". So tired of worrying about food. I don't want to constantly be focused on what I'm going to eat next.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr White
    Last Activity
    09-16-2017 04:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I've been reading Tinmans posts and msging him since before I was sleeved.And really like any advice or plan some of it will work some of it wont. Some of it doesn't sound appealing so I didn't even try it. For me eating low carb has worked great. But I haven't been on a low carb diet, I just have always been a meat eater and I don't want to waste my little room on carbs lol. So it just worked out low carb on its own.

HW 481
    SW 431
    CW 197
    GW 199

Name
    hmmmmm I wonder
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Romanelli
    Last Activity
    01-09-2018 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 370 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times
    Blog Entries

First I will say great job on being successful for 5 years I can only hope that I have that success. Now as someone on my first stall and as it has lasted a month I am open to trying new things to shed that final 20 pounds I want to take off. I personally feel that I can eat far to much food in a sitting without feeling that old overfull feeling I would get pre op when I gorged on something. Now at 7 months post op I can eat comfortably 5-6 ounces of a protein such as chicken breast or steak ect.. a couple ounces of a veggie such as carrots green beans and the like and a couple ounces of potato. Talking with others here on the boards and in my weight loss support group meetings I see that I can consume more food in a sitting then most folks and this bothers me that I stretched my sleeve somehow or that my surgeon left my sleeve larger then others. I am not by any means discouraged about my stall I know they happen to everyone but appreciated reading Tinmans post as it gives me a possible solution to breaking this stall. Lastly Thank You to all you long time vets who still come on the boards and share your long term knowledge with us it from my stand point is very appreciated.

Starting weight 328
    pre-op weight- 298
    1 month out- 262
    2 month out- 244
    3 month out- 227
    4 month out- 215
    5 month out- 203
    6 month out- 195
    7 month out- 194 in 1 month stall
    8 month out- 192
    9 month out-190
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Congrats on reaching five years Tinman. Yesterday was my one year anniversary of getting cut in 1/3. I really appreciate what you said especially being further out. I can eat just about anything I want and I do satisfy my cravings. I feel great, I move great, and my body is just healthier because of both. I am perfectly happy with the weight I have lost.

For the first six months, I just stayed away anything not labeled protein-there was no room at the inn. Since then, I have worked in more veggies and fruits but still mostly a meatatarian. I still shop with the thought that I don't need to put in extra unneeded sugars. If there is a low-sugar option, I will see if it is worth the expense. I will have a couple of Oreo's but my personal abilities, I buy a single serve package. Temptation is strong in this young padawan. While I wont eat all the Oreo's in a sitting, I will eat all the Oreo's eventually. Or Snickers, or ......

So in my mind, I am in full agreement with you that we as human sleevers have unequivocally damaged our metabolism by going on such extreme modifications that must be reversed when you can. I can flatly tell anyone reading that the calorie intake and output level I am at, in years past, I would have be losing a pound or two a week easily. Since my metabolism is damaged, I am flat lining. I chose to start taking hits now, while still in the honeymoon phase, to increase intake to retard my weight loss. I am building muscle by going to the gym but I am also resetting my metabolism so that when maintenance occurs, I will be able to sustain a healthy weight while not eating a cup of food at any sitting. By doing this, I am hoping that long term my body reacts to the changes and loses the final few pounds I want but will most importantly reset me to a normal humans calorie levels.

For the newbies - when you reach a stall for a week or two understand that it is not because you are overeating. It is most likely because you are under eating especially protein. You body was built by cavemen who could go months between protein meals due to weather and migration patterns. The body adjusted and could start shutting itself down to conserve the body between the meals. Once you eat your body will react and restart. So long term, get in your proteins first and foremost then build on the intake from there. Increase intake, increase calories, increase exertion. Restart your metabolism so long term you will reach a steady sustainable weight based on realistic intake and output.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I love your post and advice! Congratulations! I am not sleeved for a long time but agree with so much of what you've said. I also believe we need fat to burn fat. You're inspirational!

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

Surgery date
    09/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Carl Weiss
    Last Activity
    08-22-2019 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times

Thank you Tinman for your honest, down to earth advice. I like reading the experiences of veteran sleevers to see what worked for them and try it out after my surgery to see if it works for me. It may or may not, I don't know yet as I have not had my surgery so I cannot speak to that. I wouldn't try to give advice to someone about a subject I know nothing about. In my opinion ( and it is just that, an opinion) some people adhere to what their nutritionists say so closely because they have no experience either with the bariatric surgery itself or just nutrition in general. I think it's good to gather information from a variety of sources and keep what works for you and discard the rest. Congratulations Tinman on your accomplishments and I value your advice.

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I'm amazed, astounded and speechless. I am still in the decision phase (I really want to) and I have never heard this advice(mostly because I lurk and read). I was under the impression, as someone who is newer than new to this surgical idea, that carbs would be over and protein and veggies would be my existence. Your post has helped me tremendously to realize that there may be an element of enjoyment in my food should I decide to go this route. So refreshing and I thank you for your honesty.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Tinman, kudos on your five-year anniversary and wonderful maintenance success. I'm so, so happy for you and know well your daily, nearly overwhelming joy of no longer being morbidly obese and now living life to the fullest.

Folks, this is what you're fighting for ... freedom to live the life you want and deserve!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Tinman,
    Congratulations on all of your success. I really appreciate all the details and insight, it's very inspirational. All the best to you as you continue on your journey.