Surgeon
    John Brebbia
    Last Activity
    05-24-2018 10:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Good Grazing vs Bad Grazing?

Hello everyone. This may be long, but I'm not quite sure if my body is reacting "normally." There are so many horror stories on the various forums about people having some type of complication but I (hopefully) didn't have any unexpected issues. I'm trying to distinguish if there's a difference between "good" grazing and "bad" grazing

I was sleeved on 8/4/2017 and cleared to go to full liquids three days post-op. When I started the whey-based protein drinks I vomited (I tested various shakes pre-op to make sure I liked them and had no adverse reaction). I went for a couple of days forcing myself to drink the protein shakes, with increasing heartburn and vomiting. The same thing happened with yogurt, cottage cheese, or any dairy/lactose diet approved food.

I saw my surgeon and nutritionist last week and he said that he's comfortable with me eating approved foods for stages 2 & 3 even though I'm less than three weeks out. He said to stop if I vomit or react poorly to the food. I told my nut about the vomiting with the whey-based protein and she suggested I go to pea-protein. The day after meeting with my surgeon and nut, I decided to try to get my protein in by eating home prepared steamed large shrimp and chicken meatballs (64g).

I've limited myself to two large shrimp/day and two meatballs/day. While I can't eat all of this at once, I can generally eat this by grazing these foods throughout the day. I am not eating any junk foods, chips, fried foods, carbonated beverages, stuff I just shouldn't be eating. But I am eating fairly constantly through the day and tolerate it well.

Would this be considered grazing? Am I just playing games with my head to justify eating? I truly wasn't making my protein requirements and now I am, but should I have this much capacity less than a month after surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

Default Re: Good Grazing vs Bad Grazing?

I would try dividing the food into 3 equal meals and not graze. Don't force yourself to eat everything at a meal if you are full, you may not need as much as you think. See if this works for you. My doctor says no more than 1/3 cup total food per meal, so that may give you a guideline of how much you should be eating at this point in time. I'm not sure there is such a thing as "good grazing", but everyone is different.
    Linda 51

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Good Grazing vs Bad Grazing?

I had to eat slow and spread out like that in the beginning. It was the only was I could eat enough or get enough calories in. It did not prevent me from losing weight. As I was able to eat more in one sitting I began eating less frequently. Just make sure you are very conscious of what you are eating.

6. Said thanks: