I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/27/2016
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 241 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy I wasn't prepared for my sagging skin

I've only lost 54 pounds in 8 months since my surgery. I'm fine with the weight I've lost and have quite honestly slowed down intentionally due to the changes in my body. I'm still losing but at a slower pace, trying to keep it at 2 pounds per week. I was unhappy with my weight prior to surgery but I'm disgusted now due to sagging skin on my arms. I don't think I can afford an arm lift. Everything else is minor and will bounce back but my arms, bleh.

I know the best option is surgery, which as I've said I can not afford but what else can I do to help this skin snap back?

Everytime I research how to help firm up my skin all I get is "surgery, surgery, surgery". I get it,.. it's the best option and the only way to fix the problem entirely but what else can I do to help it along even a little? Wrap my arms at night with a good moisturizer? Soak my skin in herbal walla walla bing bong? I don't have stretch marks so surely this will snap back to some degree, yes?
    Bagawk!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I wasn't prepared for my sagging skin

I know at the end of the day, the only way my "Bingo" arms will not be the saggy mess they are is if I have a scalpel handy. I do not have the $$ for that surgery and I can't justify spending that on myself. So whenever I hear people say "you can get rid of this portion" ( while pointing to the upper flabby arms) or I read ads for the same type of gimmick, I know no matter HOW much I have lost, there will be loose skin and I will need a surgeon. With that said though, my stomach and gut area have shrunken down and I will have loose skin there too, but my arms are the things that remind me of the BIG GIRL I was. I'm OK with my saggy flattened rump and my battle scars of 3 pregnancies stomach.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Dr A did a youtube video on it. Hydration is key from the inside and the outside. So drink a lot of water and use a nice thick lotion twice a day. I have noticed it is helping. Also good old fashioned strength training. This can help as well. I have read collagen will help with skin appearance and I have recently added a powdered collagen supplement once a day. A lot of it is genetic as well. I do think it takes time, though. My main hangy skin is on my thighs/butt. I was really hating it at first but then I started doing what I can to help it look better and embracing it. Still look better than I did 94 lbs ago. Running has helped tone my arms and stomach. I can feel it strengthening my core. Good luck.

Surgery date
    04/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr, Keith Kreitz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2017 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I know how you feel. My 9 and 10 year old daughters told me that I should learn to fly now that I have bat wings (they weren't being mean or thoughtless). I do hate the way it feels when I extend my arms and wave, but I told the girls that I would rather have the extra skin than the extra pounds. When all is said and done, I'm sure I would benefit from surgery on my arms and belly (the loose skin on my belly disgusts me more than the skin on my arms), but unless my insurance covers it (doubtful), I can't afford surgery. Until then, I'm going to use body contouring wraps that a friend of mine sells. They're supposed to tighten, tone, and firm the skin. The only thing is that you're supposed to drink half your body weight in oz of water every day, and I don't think I can drink 96 oz per day.

Highest weight: 276
    Weight at consultation: 271
    Pre-op weight: 242
    Weight 7 days post-op: 228
    1 month: 217
    6 months: 189